Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Focus: Build
So 98% of what you can find at a Big Box lumber store is unusable for instruments. Your best bet is to purchase Instrument grade wood from a reputable source. LMI, Allied, RC Tonewoods, Hana Lima IA. Before you start the process of buying wood you might consider doing some research on this forum and other forums as well to to get better acquainted with how most beginners start this love/hate process.... Good Luck I'm on #18 Ukulele.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Raymond
Last Name: Pipkin
I've made several ukes out of lumber grade cherry and mahogany and they turned out just fine. I used the same wood for top, back and sides and neck. While there are many reasons to pick higher grade wood available, it isn't an absolute requirement. But pay attention to how green or wet the wood is you choose. Well seasoned wood is preferable. Then also, pay attention to grain direction. More information all over the forum about that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
The first thing to have is a plan and an instruction book. I would recommend the Hana Lima Ia book which contains the drawings for a tenor ukulele (hanalima.com). The book is the text book for their ukulele building course. There is enough detail for you to understand how to build the instrument and why certain things are done. I consult the book often even though I am on my twenty second instrument.
The walnut is probably acceptable for the back, sides and neck of a first instrument. The sound-board could be spruce or mahogany (my choice).

The first instrument takes a long time to build so understand what needs to be done before you start.

Good luck

Bob :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Walnut would be my choice, followed by cherry or maple. I've never really used ash so I dunno. Ukes commonly use the same wood for the top as the back/sides. I've made ukuleles with walnut tops/back/sides and they sound very nice.
Spruce, cedar or redwood tops are also options....but I wouldn't use lumber grade softwood unless you really know what you're looking for in wood grain.
You'll be ok with your 60degree grain wood. It will still bend well and should be stable enough for the top/back. Not AS stable as 90degree quarter sawn wood but it plenty good for your first project.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
I typed a reply to this the other day but I don't see it now. I probably forgot to hit submit. Anyway, it was basically what Quine said but worded more awkwardly. Post pics when you're done!

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.