Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

State: Ca.
Total amateur here, the closest I got to precision woodwork involved a sawzall and a sledge in the past. I've been intrigued by guitar builds for the last couple of years, been playing for 10+.

My first attempt at any sort of work started with a tenor guitar that was twisted up from attic heat. I replaced the top and added inlays all over. I reused the neck, back and sides. I realized having those pieces eliminated the need for many tools and mucho experience. I think I learned basics in this process, I am still in the process of finishing it as my first try has been sanded and next I will try nitro.

My second project is another find on eBay with some good components, I decided to take a chance on it as it is still the same premise as the tenor except this time I would attempt to build the neck too.

It was a custom build before, 3 piece neck, 4 piece back, mahogany bridge plate, it almost matches the footprint of my d28 exactly, the board and bridge placement show a 24.5"(?) scale. I think Gibson used that so maybe it is an old j45 fretboard, it had the opposite of relief in the neck with brass frets.
I couldn't find info on the builder name.

My plan is a new top with new braces, put the back together with new backstrip, new maple binding top and bottom, new neck with dove tail joint and block, fret work on the stew Mac Pre slotted ebony fret board in 25.4 scale.

I would love to hear any advise, insight, or any information pertaining to this.
Thanks, again I am excited to have a project. Nice to be here.

Here is what I'm starting with:

Inside bracing
Close up of name
Back
Neck

BoardImage