Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Been busy the last few days but did get in to start cleaning out the binding channels in preparation for gluing the binding in. The channels don't always come out the right size. In this case I want 0.060" but in some places they were closer to 0.050" so I use a flat file with a safe edge and carefully bring them to the correct size. A piece of scrap fiber binding that is exactly 60 thou is used as a gauge. I read something recently what someone said about this job that hits the mark: it takes what it takes :(

Attachment:
IMG_2041.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The file is not much use in the inside curves. For these I use a razor blade with a slight edge turned on it. If you look close you can see the shavings.
Attachment:
IMG_2051.JPG

Haven't made much progress lately because I've been building an addition on to the shop - unfortunately no extra square footage (cause I could really use it) but a stone walkway up to the house. My wife has wanted me to put one in for a long time to reduce the various unmentionables that I track into the house walking back up in the dark idunno Glad it's finished, there's about 2500 lbs of stone in that thing and it will probably be a week or two before I'm back to normal. At least my project manager seems to approve ;)
Attachment:
IMG_2048.JPG

Now that the binding channels are ready, I was able to get the bindings bent. Hopefully I can get them in later today.
Attachment:
IMG_2052.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Zach
State: Oregon
Focus: Build
Nice walkway! I like the gentle curve around the tree. To me it says"I usually think about instruments, but just happen to be building a walkway". :)

Great job with the heel, by the way. To use the razor blade as scraper, do you file/burnish it like a scraper blade?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Zach, I like curves when I do landscape stuff but if I never make another rock walkway that will be fine with me.

I burnish the razor blades somewhat like you would a card scraper. I use a 45 to 60 degree angle with an old screwdriver. For finer work I use less pressure on the screwdriver.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Got the binding installed but still need to scrape it level. Binding is Amazon rosewood and it took me as much or more time to do this mandolin than it would for a guitar body. But at least it is done and I think it will go well with the color scheme we've selected - dark red translucent top and a deep honey back/sides/ neck. I put a wash coat of shellac on the top and around the binding channels then used tape, rubber bands, and clamps to get everything tight before gluing with CA. Next step is to scrape them level and then even out the reveal all the way around.
Attachment:
IMG_2057.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2074.JPG

Also did some work on the pick guard, it attaches to the mandolin with two 1/8" pins that are sandwiched between the pick guard and a piece of wood about 3/8" wide that glues to the bottom. Both pieces are routed for the 1/8" stock, I'm using brass in this case because I had some laying around. Here I've done the layout for the routing, it's easier to see than it looks in the photo. I'll finish that and get everything fitting correctly before I do the final shaping on the narrow piece.
Attachment:
IMG_2072.JPG

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

We all have our favorite tools for doing different tasks. Here are two of mine for cleaning up the bindings. First is that miniature block plane, I use it to knock the edge down off the top of the bindings. I used to use a standard low angle block plane but I like this little one better for this task.
Attachment:
IMG_2075.JPG

Second is the Carruth scraper. Once you figure out how to sharpen them well they are hard to beat.
Attachment:
IMG_2076.JPG

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Thats looking good. Hope I can hit a lick on mine :mrgreen: Everyone is out of school and out of town so I'm getting back in the shop this weekend

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clinchriver wrote:
Thats looking good. Hope I can hit a lick on mine :mrgreen: Everyone is out of school and out of town so I'm getting back in the shop this weekend

I remember those days. Hard to get in the shop with all the kids activities! I think you'll enjoy the mandolin project although it's been more work than I expected. I'm hoping to have strings on this one by the next meeting, either way I'll bring it with me.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
You're building a very handsome mandolin, Steve. I like the way you're working your way over or around the various little hurdles that have come up. Extra-nice save on the heel trim, by the way!

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Patrick. I'm trying to think 3 steps ahead so I don't get myself boxed in with some of these unanticipated opportunities ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pick guard is routed and ready to glue together. This will probably make more sense than the earlier photo.
Attachment:
IMG_2079.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No photos today but I did finish the pick guard and started on the fretboard. I'm using the 13.875" scale and slotted the board with the same 0.024" blade that I use for guitar boards. I also installed 5mm Paua dots for the markers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I use a pretty standard setup to cut my fret slots.
Attachment:
IMG_2083.JPG

Got the board slotted and Paua dots in. Put them in the correct locations this time ;)
Attachment:
IMG_2086.JPG

I used brads to locate the fret board since I want to fret the board off of the neck and didn't want to leave any frets out; for guitars I use 1/16" pins in two slots and pull them after the fret board is glued on. Rough cut bone nut is there for spacing.
Attachment:
IMG_2085.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Fret board trimmed to shape.
Attachment:
IMG_2088.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've been spending a lot of time scraping bindings and doing a few other things in the shop so didn't have much to show but got started on the fret board extension.

Since I had made a copy of this part of the plans, again I just CA'd some cutouts to my maple block. Depending on what I'm doing I also use fish glue or Titebond but with CA I can hit it with accelerator and it is ready almost instantly.
Attachment:
IMG_2089.JPG

After I took the top and bottom slices I needed to get the correct angle to rough in the shape of the sides. If you look close you can see that I used double-stick tape to put the bottom slice back on temporarily so I could easily make the cut on the bandsaw. I put the double stick tape on and then give it a few taps with a plastic-headed mallet so the adhesive will grab better. After doing the cut a bit of Naptha separates the blocks.
Attachment:
IMG_2090.JPG

Rough shaping is done
Attachment:
IMG_2091.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Extension is done. Screw is to hold it down while the glue dries.
Attachment:
IMG_2097.JPG

Got the side dots done too
Attachment:
IMG_2099.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wow, looks like you are down to fretting, making a bridge and nut. Then string it up!
Finally got my F5C stripped down and sanded. Doing the sunburst now...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Cushman
City: Great Falls
State: MT
Zip/Postal Code: 59401
Your mandolin is looking super good! :) I really like the wood binding and the joinery looks very good. I was curious about the 9th fret marker. In one post you say " Put them in the correct locations this time". I guess this confused me a little. Why the 9 rather than the 10? Was the 9th a buyers request? Either way is ok for a mandolin but I think the 10 is much more standard.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Haans wrote:
Wow, looks like you are down to fretting, making a bridge and nut. Then string it up!
Finally got my F5C stripped down and sanded. Doing the sunburst now...

Hans, glad to hear you have been able to get back in the shop a bit. I've got the bridge so I just need to fret the board, get it glued on and finish the nut.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Cush wrote:
Your mandolin is looking super good! :) I really like the wood binding and the joinery looks very good. I was curious about the 9th fret marker. In one post you say " Put them in the correct locations this time". I guess this confused me a little. Why the 9 rather than the 10? Was the 9th a buyers request? Either way is ok for a mandolin but I think the 10 is much more standard.

Thanks Matt! I have been know to put fret markers at odd frets by accident such as the 4th or 8th :? In this case I just did what I do for guitars idunno Guess I'll check with the future owner and see what he wants. Thanks for pointing that out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Cushman
City: Great Falls
State: MT
Zip/Postal Code: 59401
Instruments that are tuned in fifths usually have a 10th fret marker. Tenor guitars come to mind. Some mandolins do have a marker on the 9th but I can't remember the brand. I get mixed up between guitar and mandolin fret markers. In fact, I got so tired of counting up the fretboard checking marker positions, I made a couple of simple cardboard templates, so I could drill with confidence.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

These users thanked the author Cush for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:48 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Makes sense. A template is a good idea. I may just go ahead and change it otherwise it'll bug me :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'd change it. Never used to have this problem till I started building guitars again along with mandolins. I keep a photo of a mandolin and guitar fretboard just to make sure. I've done it wrong several times.
To straighten the neck, I made a jig (looks like a cross) out of 2x4 ash that has a longitudinal and cross section cut out and then glued together. The cutout area is padded with cork. The mandolin is clamped with 5 cam clamps to the cross, then (with the mandolin strung to pitch) a block is put under the neck at the nut. Then the strings are removed and the neck is sanded flat lengthwise. Works fine on a radius neck too. Then you can fret it and string it up. Doing this carefully is obviously important. If your T/R is dual action, give it a crank to just snug it up and a little more.
That should get you to fretting.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:48 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So today was supposed to be fretting but after looking at some photos of mandolins I had to change that 9th fret marker. Some of the newer builders might be interested in how I'm going to do this. In some earlier fixes I simply drilled out the marker and filled it with an ebony plug - this was on one of my guitars so no big deal and no one but me has ever noticed it. However, this mandolin is not for me so it needs to be an invisible fix.

First I drilled out the side dot - that was easy.
Next I rummaged through my bag of miniature tubing (a good thing to have) and found a piece of brass with an ID of just over 1/16". I used some needle files to cut teeth in the end, chucked it into a dremel tool and cut a couple of plugs each about 3/16" long.
Attachment:
IMG_2103.JPG

First plug didn't work cause I drilled too fast, it got hot and turned kinda dusty (as it burned up) :? Next time I drilled slower and in steps. That one worked and I used a razor saw to cut it loose.
Attachment:
IMG_2104.JPG

Tapped it in and glued it with CA.
Attachment:
IMG_2106.JPG

The fretboard has some brown in it so fortunately I had a cutoff that will match exactly. I put the cutoff piece on a board with double stick tape and used my cutoff saw to get the right size piece.
Attachment:
IMG_2107.JPG

Next I took my inlay tool and removed the wood between the 8th and 9th fret. Did that on my homemade downdraft table so kept all that black dust out of my nose.
Attachment:
IMG_2109.JPG

Glued it together with some of the black CA from StewMac and left it to sit overnight. I've found that CA in ebony glue ups can take a while to cure I think because the wood is so non porous.
We'll see how it came out tomorrow. If it isn't right then I'll make a new fret board.
Attachment:
IMG_2110.JPG

Last edited by SteveSmith on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Haans wrote:
To straighten the neck, I made a jig (looks like a cross) out of 2x4 ash that has a longitudinal and cross section cut out and then glued together. The cutout area is padded with cork. The mandolin is clamped with 5 cam clamps to the cross, then (with the mandolin strung to pitch) a block is put under the neck at the nut. Then the strings are removed and the neck is sanded flat lengthwise. Works fine on a radius neck too. Then you can fret it and string it up. Doing this carefully is obviously important. If your T/R is dual action, give it a crank to just snug it up and a little more.
That should get you to fretting.

Hans, since you know where I'm at here, is this something that you typically do with a new mandolin? And yes, the TR is dual action.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next