Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Greg H's build
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

My plans are to build a Mahogany Baritone Uke. I have some opportunity grade Mahogany which should keep me comfortably under the $150. I want have a chance to get started for a little while, but hopefully will get things done.

Post subject: Re: Greg H's build
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:59 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I got a mold in the mail today and am waiting on some plans that I ordered.

From the wood standpoint, I found a box of opportunity grade mahogany. From that I have:

Neck Blank $5
Back and Sides $5
Mahogany Top $3
Rosewood Finger Board Blank $10 (Hope to be able to get a bridge from this as well)

I hope to get some laminated linings from the sides, and maybe a neck and/or tail block from the Neck Blank. $23 down.
I will decide on other items as I go along. I have some fret wire, saddles, and nuts that were given to me - so no costs there.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Heading out on vacation with the family tomorrow, and moving the oldest off to college the week after we get back. By september I may actually be able to get started on this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

A couple of updates. I purchase a mold and am in the process of buidling a bending mold. I am waiting on the plans I ordered, so can't do too much yet.

The second picture shows some boards that I will use to make some rope binding (if all goes well). The piece of Walnut on the left is very rough cut, but has a celebrity connection. That was given to me by Roy Underhill of the Woodwrights Shop when I was taking a class at his shop. The piece on the right was labeled as exotic seconds in the bargain bin. There is also a thin piece of maple that may be tough to see. $2 is probably a high estimate for the amount of this wood I will use.

I need to add the cost of tuners $13.68 and an inlay at $33 shown in the third picture.

The fourth picture shows my back and sides. I think I will be able to get the top and back from the back shown, so the $3 I had for a top I will allocate to any scraps used for bracing. I also ended up purchasing some smaller fret wire for this project which adds another $5. That brings me to $74.68.

I seem to be way behind everyone, but hopefully will start making process soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am trying to get back into this, but the odds are probably against me finishing on time. I will be traveling this week and will not be able to work on it next weekend.

My delays are due to three issues: 1. a delay in getting the plans, 2. A bought a Big Green Egg and wanted to build a table for it, and 3. Unfortunately, I had an accident when building the table and cut my thumb. Luckily, nothing was permanantly damaged, but I did need to wait for it to heal.

This week I got back to working on the sides, and unfortunataly my first attempt at side bending did not go well and one of the sides broke - this was yesterday. Today I thickness a new set of sides and was able to successfully bend these. I also bent some solid linings, and have started working on some bindings - these need to be cleaned up a bit before I bend.

Attachment:
BGE Table.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Better late than Never .... Have at it and in 5 weeks u may well be done ! [:Y:]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Do you like green eggs and ham?

You've got to the end of next month now so get choppin'!

Glad to hear your injury is not serious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I have not tried green eggs and ham, but look forward to trying a ham in the green egg.