Walnut
Walnut

First name: Ray
Last Name: Kahler
City: Mesa
State: AZ
Zip/Postal Code: 85208
Focus: Build
After 3 successful violins and a cello, I decided to try an arch top guitar using Benedetto's instructions. This is my first guitar so I'm trying to keep it "by the book." With violin and cello, I have learned what I can "get by with." Not so, with this challenge.

After lengthy search for nice wood, I committed to mahogany back and Spruce front only to discover the thickness is about 3/16" shy of the suggested 1". I ordered 1" but milling must have created the error. ( The Spruce front is just fine with room to spare.)

Tap-tone sounds okay so far but my arch in back plate won't be as great as the front. Any experience on how resonance and strength will be affected? Adjustments?

Will appreciate some experience on this.
Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
I have a hunch you will be fine on the back--in terms of mahogany and starting thickness of your wedge. The Benedetto book and video/DVD series are very complementary to each other. Each contains some information not present in the other. Somewhere in there, he mentions a shallower arch. My hunch further tells me that the depth of arch on your guitar back is less critical than the top. The back is under no string tension, etc. It is a reflective surface and possibly a vibrating diaphragm (depending on your recurves), but it's not under down pressure like the top. Mr. B definitely shows how to make it a vibrating diaphragm in his video series. I think you have a lot of latitude. I think you will be just fine.

....now, watch for someone to come along and point out something that I have overlooked!

These users thanked the author cphanna for the post: raykahler (Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:24 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
I would not be too concerned. As cphanna mentioned, Benedetto talks about 7/8" starting point in the DVD. Also, the arching on the back is far less critical. I'm no master luthier, but I've built several where after squaring up 4/4 lumber I had just about what you have and never had a problem. I've only built in maple, but I dint think mahogany would make any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: raykahler (Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:08 am)