Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
New style basd on OM - I call it my concert model as I plan for world domination :shock: ;)

Plan drawn, Mold has been made and have now glued up back and top

Woods:
B/S - Malaysian Blackwood
Top - old Sitka
Adirondack bracing (top)
laminated spanish cedar bracing for back
Honduran Mahogany neck
Ebony fret board bound
Headstock bound
Tuners - TBC
Bindings TBC

The plan - sorry for rubbish pic quality

Malaysian blackwood B+S

Close up of Sitka Top

Oh and some scrap piece I might use testing (or #50) ;)

UPDATE: thanks to the advice I managed to get thes eposted - just need a decent camera now.. :(

Last edited by Frank Cousins on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 am, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Hey Frank - None of your pictures are showing up for me. Anyone else having this problem?

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 am 
Koa
Koa

Same for me... not sure what I have done wrong... simply added the URLs from flickr within teh img tags..? any help appreciated :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 am 
Koa
Koa

The blackwood and top pics can be found here - sorry about the auto link not working

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29991740@N05/8367567678/in/photostream/

First guitar is also still up there with my scrap wood :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
I link to Flickr all the time. There is an issue that you need to be aware of however. You can not copy the link in the address bar.
First, you must click on the image and get to the spot where you see all of the available sizes. Pick the appropriate size for the forum, then right click on the image. Select, "Copy image URL" and then come here and paste the link into your post with the IMG tags. Then you will be good to go.
If you copy the link in the address bar, the pics don't work. Not really sure why.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Casey
Last Name: Cochran
City: Gainesville
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30501
Wow, Frank, your #1 is beautiful! The blackwood and sitka for this build are spectacular too. Looking forward to following this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 am 
Koa
Koa

Tony_in_NYC wrote:
I link to Flickr all the time. There is an issue that you need to be aware of however. You can not copy the link in the address bar.
First, you must click on the image and get to the spot where you see all of the available sizes. Pick the appropriate size for the forum, then right click on the image. Select, "Copy image URL" and then come here and paste the link into your post with the IMG tags. Then you will be good to go.
If you copy the link in the address bar, the pics don't work. Not really sure why.

Thanks Tony, followed you instructions and seems to work - pic quality from the phone is awful, will try and use a better camera for progress.

Good luck everyone - should be fun seeing all these new instruments come to life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am 
Koa
Koa

Casey Cochran wrote:
Wow, Frank, your #1 is beautiful! The blackwood and sitka for this build are spectacular too. Looking forward to following this one.

Thanks appreciated. She has a few dings and scratches now, but has opened up beautifully - the top was a very tight grained German Spruce from around 1980 so i think that helped, but would love to build with Macassar again. When I bought that set it cost be £150 ($200) in 2008... If I could find one that nice again I would have to pay at least double if not more now... why I took a break and started buying a few sets :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Just cause I'm feeling generous, I'll trade you my whole box of scraps for your one scrap :mrgreen:

That's some seriously nice wood for a second build. Do it justice [:Y:]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Great to see another UKer on the forum and in the contest. Good luck to you. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

DennisK wrote:
Just cause I'm feeling generous, I'll trade you my whole box of scraps for your one scrap :mrgreen:

That's some seriously nice wood for a second build. Do it justice [:Y:]

LOL - must admit had plenty of similar offers for that scrap piece ;)

Going to wait till I get 10 or so under my belt before using it though...make sure I cn do it justice, as not sure I will ever find anything similar - it rings like a bell! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
What's so scrap about it?

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

PeterF wrote:
What's so scrap about it?

A wee jest that's all, tis my prized Brazilian RW set - I joined the back in a moment of madness as I just wanted to see it... but will wait quite a while til I have the exerience to do it justice... cant wait, but I have a tendancy to 'rush in' where the angels dont like planting their feet' so need to keep it hidden away :shock:

Just back from my dungeon work shop - now 10pm here.

Scraped the back to final thickness, and glued up the laminated back braces - also the centre strip glued and shaped - next is get the back braces on, but away with work for 3 days now so will try and post some more pics tomorrow... but then no more til next weekend... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ok some progress has been made!

Back braces now on, shaped and so with just a bit of cleaning up to do before back is to go. Shaping the brace with a small IBEX plane is a fun part of the build IMHO. Back braces are 5 ply laminated from Spanish Cedar, and 0.3mm maple and dyed maple veneer.

Next up onto the top - the rosette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Those braces are sweet! Very cool! Only bad part is most people will never see them. I bet they are a little stiffer since they are laminated. Do you think so? If so did you make them a little smaller to compensate? Also what is the reason for the top 2 braces to arch over the back strip while te bottom two do not?

Last edited by ZekeM on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Lookin' good, Frank! [:Y:]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Tony_in_NYC wrote:

Um, or just share it? There's built-in functionality for posting to web forums.

Go to the flicker page in question (the link earlier in the thread), click on 'share' (bar above and to the left of the picture), click on 'share HTML/BB code', copy the BB code and paste it into your reply. Voila. Image displayed, with a link to the Flickr image so people can browse the stream or look at larger versions if desired.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

ZekeM wrote:
Those braces are sweet! Very cool! Only bad part is most people will never see them. I bet they are a little stiffer since they are laminated. Do you think so? If so did you make them a little smaller to compensate?

Thanks. Main reason was I had the cedar - definitely a little stiffer than the non-laminated material at the same width - width is 8mm, so not a great deal in it. Hoping to get the box as rigid as possible and not too worried about the weight. My first was 'heavy' with Macassar B+S, but gave a very rigid box and some strong bass which i am trying to replicate with the Malysian ebony. - Will see what happens ;)

Do like the asthetic though when looking through the soundhole - suspect I will eventually get some 'flat spots on teh back where my little arches are, but wanted to try that aproach again for asthetic reasons rather than anything structual.

Now snowing heavily outside so means may get a few hours on the top over the weekend bliss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Mattia Valente wrote:
Tony_in_NYC wrote:

Go to the flicker page in question (the link earlier in the thread), click on 'share' (bar above and to the left of the picture), click on 'share HTML/BB code', copy the BB code and paste it into your reply. Voila. Image displayed, with a link to the Flickr image so people can browse the stream or look at larger versions if desired.

Thanks for that - take it you dont need to post this [img] tags?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Koa
Koa

...Ok made progress but not too happy with the rossette result

It looks better than the pic, but a couple of issues - 2 x small tear outs and 2 places where the shell has 'moved' and left unsightly gaps... :? :(

Pondering whether to simply rout it all out and start again... might be the best option.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What about routing another channel right to the edge and adding more purfling or shell?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

Could do, but had hoped to keep this quite simple/subtle. Will give it some thought this week as once again have travel with work until Thursday... will post some ideas but welcome any more that folk might have?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Frank Cousins wrote:
Mattia Valente wrote:
Tony_in_NYC wrote:

Thanks for that - take it you dont need to post this [img] tags?

If you simply copy the BB code for sharing an image, it handles all the img and other (BB) tags for your.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Sorry to hear about your rosette mishap. It doesnt look all that bad to me. Its actually pretty good IMO. But I know where you are coming from, if i know there is a tiny mistake here or there, even if no one else sees it, it bothers the heck out of me. If you are that way the only thing I could see to do is rout it out and do it again. Maybe make the channel a little wider and do the same rosette with your shell just a little wider than you have now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

What a week, heavy snow and a long drive down and back from Scotland to London for work - glad to be home...

Well Mrs C has me working on restoring the Georgian Shutters in the guest room this weekend which is great as it means i can try and sneeak in a bit of buid time. Still not decided on the Rosette - If I felt comfortable that I could rout out the shell (mask on naturally) I think I would redo - Anyone ever taken a router to ablam (I know - but the Blue paua I have was not a subtle and I wanted a subtle shade on this build) and gotten a decent result?