Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: herry
Last Name: trismono
City: malang
State: east java
Zip/Postal Code: 65142
Focus: Build
Hi, I'm ready now, this is my first build for acoustic guitar, never bending side before but I've ever built 2 electric guitar for my son, 1st electric guitar last 2 years and done last year and 2nd electric upright bass from motolla plan and done 3 months ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
Herry, I like the electric guitar very much. Nice job! [:Y:]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

This is my material for this chalange:
01 Plan from LMII $10.40
02 Rambutan wood $1 just for a man who cut this log to quartersawn :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/rambutan.html
I just know this spec of Rambutan Excotic hardwood this morning
And this wood I cut from my mother backyard...
03 Sitka Spruce AA from Stewmac $17.33
04 ETC: Macassar Ebony for fingerboard and bridge for $9, end pin ebony from lmii for $1.70, Economy tuner from Stewmac for $ 13.55 and mahogany board for Neck no $ hehe [headinwall]
05 Fretwire I have 2, evo gold and stainless, maybe I'll use stainless (But I'll try for difficulty) to match the chrome tuning machine..
06 Bone from Cow, and I found this from Bakso seller (beef meatball) :lol:
I need some suggestion: I'll build Back a little Arch for bigger bass sound so my Back wood 150mm thickand for bridge I'll change standard bridge with Archtop adjustable bridge with bone saddle and the small wood tailpiece with my own build, what you think??? thank a lot...
And my build name is: "ARCHBACK Martin style 5" :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Jaybird840 wrote:
Herry, I like the electric guitar very much. Nice job! [:Y:]

Thank's Jay, thank's very much... bliss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Doug
Last Name: Balzer
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
Cool, EUB Herry! What kind of strings are on that thing? How would you describe it's sound? Like an electric? An upright?

Don't let fear or common sense stop you from trying to build something

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Nice electrics! Also that rambutan looked awesome! Never heard of it before. Is it commonly used in guitars in your area? Best of luck with your build.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Doug Balzer wrote:
Cool, EUB Herry! What kind of strings are on that thing? How would you describe it's sound? Like an electric? An upright?

The string actually was wrong bought for the right length, this string I bought eub built before (GHS bass boomer extra long scale 35") but I was difficulty to buy again like Helicore 46" for $ so, I modified with add a tail piece so that the string enough length. wow7-eyes
The sound like upright, I used the piezo under saddle pickup and the pre Amp from Walter cafe with vintage sound produce
bliss :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

ZekeM wrote:
Nice electrics! Also that rambutan looked awesome! Never heard of it before. Is it commonly used in guitars in your area? Best of luck with your build.

Zeke,.. some fruit tree here like mango, durian usually for home building (village house people), jackfruit also and for carving, but rambutan they don't like because of more harder than another, so I concluded rambutan is a hardwood, so I try to cut it,... it turns out to the web I saw this morning is an exotic hardwood, and you can see on :Rambutan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the rambutan fruit is pizza I like it so much,... :D
Reddish brown with irregular dark lines, dense, wavy, wild grain pattens... [headinwall]
I have some quarter sawn but just small for small guitar or uke, do you want Zeke??? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
I could be interested. I really like the look of it. As long as its not restricted by CITES I may have to buy some from you! I love unique and unusual woods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
I agree completely with Zeke.... That Rambutan is gorgeous!! I'll trade you a set of something from Texas!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Indeed, love the rambutan! If you have plenty, add me to the list :) Maybe we could have you mail several sets to one of us to save on international shipping, and then they split it up and mail out locally?

Side bending is hard, but fun. My bender is a hunk of 3" diameter exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop, and an electric charcoal starter, run through a dimmer switch. Or you could go old fashioned and use actual charcoal as the heat source :) Or a propane torch.

Looking forward to watching the build. I've gotta make one of those size 5 guitars myself someday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: nick
Last Name: dingle
I have a nice set of mango. I'll sand and wet it for a photo so you guys can see what it might look like. Nice stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

DennisK wrote:
Indeed, love the rambutan! If you have plenty, add me to the list :) Maybe we could have you mail several sets to one of us to save on international shipping, and then they split it up and mail out locally?

Side bending is hard, but fun. My bender is a hunk of 3" diameter exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop, and an electric charcoal starter, run through a dimmer switch. Or you could go old fashioned and use actual charcoal as the heat source :) Or a propane torch.

Looking forward to watching the build. I've gotta make one of those size 5 guitars myself someday.

thank's DennisK, my new bender is 3" dia stainless steel pipe and I'm planning for buy an electric charcoal starter, it's cheap here,...
for the rambutan I have some and that's I cut 2 year's ago for quartersawn but unfortunatedly duh it's for small guitar and much for uke size I think for back and side :D ... and the weight is heavy (higher cost for shipment) [headinwall]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

herry tze wrote:
DennisK wrote:

thank's DennisK, my new bender is 3" dia stainless steel pipe and I'm planning for buy an electric charcoal starter, it's cheap here,...
for the rambutan I have some and that's I cut 2 year's ago for quartersawn but unfortunatedly duh it's for small guitar and much for uke size I think for back and side :D ... and the weight is heavy (higher cost for shipment) [headinwall]

this day I did for jointing the Back and Top, made the template, tomorrow I'll post that... bliss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Greg
Last Name: B
City: Los Angeles
State: California
Wow, who knew rambutan trees made such pretty wood! I used to love the fruit as a kid, although of course I only ever had the canned version. Can't wait to see the guitar. I guess it will be like a Martin size #5?

I like that electric. Reminds me a bit of the original Bigsby.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Greg B wrote:
Wow, who knew rambutan trees made such pretty wood! I used to love the fruit as a kid, although of course I only ever had the canned version. Can't wait to see the guitar. I guess it will be like a Martin size #5?

I like that electric. Reminds me a bit of the original Bigsby.

Hahaha... pizza Hi Greg, come to Indonesia, you can eat many kinds of rambutan flavors Eat Drink or come to Malang East Java, I will serve you many rambutan... :lol: just about $0.5 /kg. :D
Yes, Greg Martin style 5, 3/4 size acoustic I bought the plan from LMI PL30 by Scott Antes 1981 :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

DennisK wrote:

Hi,.. Dennisk for the very hard wood like rambutan How many thick you made for SIDE??? .07"?, .08"? need suggestion... thank's...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
herry tze wrote:
Hi,.. Dennisk for the very hard wood like rambutan How many thick you made for SIDE??? .07"?, .08"? need suggestion... thank's...

For your guitar, or for potential selling of sets? .08" would probably be good as a general starting point for most people. I like thin sides, with full height side braces to stiffen them back up, and prevent splits from spreading. On a small instrument like that, I'd probably go down to .05-.06" depending on how stiff it feels. If you're not doing side braces, probably keep it in the .07-.08" range, maybe a little thinner at the waist to help bend.

When bending, if it doesn't want to go, try putting a paper towel over the pipe and spray it with water regularly to keep it from drying out. Some woods will bend fairly dry, but others need steam. I'm still not very good at bending though... takes forever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

Quote:
Hi Greg, come to Indonesia, you can eat many kinds of rambutan flavors

LOL. Yes, I'd love to. Indonesia has been near the top of my list of places I'd love to visit for some time. It might be a few years before I can afford the trip though. :( I just asked my employer to send me there on 'business', but they didn't seem to like that idea... laughing6-hehe

RE: side bending. Try it first on scrap. You will feel the wood give way when it wants to move. Don't force it. Some woods must be fairly wet to bend at all. Padauk is like this. The danger is that if it's too wet, you can get uneven bending and facets, which will need to be sanded out. In addition, they all have different temperature requirements.

I agree with Dennis about the side thickness recommendations. .085" is 'standard', but .07 to .08 is a good range for a small guitar, and you'll have a little room for sanding. Thinner sides and a (slightly) thicker back is usually helpful for bass, an important consideration in a small guitar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
Greg B wrote:
Thinner sides and a (slightly) thicker back is usually helpful for bass, an important consideration in a small guitar.

Not necessarily. Somogyi style guitars have laminated (very stiff) sides and very thin tops and backs and they have great bass.

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

PeterF wrote:
Greg B wrote:
Thinner sides and a (slightly) thicker back is usually helpful for bass, an important consideration in a small guitar.

Not necessarily. Somogyi style guitars have laminated (very stiff) sides and very thin tops and backs and they have great bass.

Well yeah, it's possible if you go that route. I've built 3 or 4 instruments with the thick sides approach. IME you do have to go thinner on the top than with thin sides.

It's sort of a different sound, really a taste thing. It might be described as more focused. Thin sides is more enveloping for the player. More old fashioned maybe?? Try it and see. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Greg B wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg, come to Indonesia, you can eat many kinds of rambutan flavors

RE: side bending.The danger is that if it's too wet
Greg, I've ever read old style guitar making, and it suggested to boil the side for about an hour before hot bending,.. what you think? .... gaah

LOL. Yes, I'd love to. Indonesia has been near the top of my list of places I'd love to visit for some time. It might be a few years before I can afford the trip though. :( I just asked my employer to send me there on 'business', but they didn't seem to like that idea... laughing6-hehe

RE: side bending. Try it first on scrap. You will feel the wood give way when it wants to move. Don't force it. Some woods must be fairly wet to bend at all. Padauk is like this. The danger is that if it's too wet, you can get uneven bending and facets, which will need to be sanded out. In addition, they all have different temperature requirements.

I agree with Dennis about the side thickness recommendations. .085" is 'standard', but .07 to .08 is a good range for a small guitar, and you'll have a little room for sanding. Thinner sides and a (slightly) thicker back is usually helpful for bass, an important consideration in a small guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
How are you planning to bend the sides? Hot pipe? No need to boil. Do a few test bends on scrap to get the feel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

Regarding boiling sides: I actually did a dulcimer and a baritone uke this way many years ago, following Irving Sloane's book. It can work if the wood is very straight grained and well quartered, but even then you'll get some cupping that has to be sanded out. Your wood looks very figured. I think it would bend very unevenly if boiled.

I strongly recommend rigging up a hot pipe. Hot pipes really work better than boiling, because they tend to iron the wood flat crosswise as you are bending it. The pipe method lets you avoid a lot of unnecessary work scraping the sides.

Like Clinchriver says - practice on scrap first.

Don't worry too much about bending sides. This particular part of guitarmaking tends to intimidate people, but it's really not that difficult. Just go slow and keep fussing with them until they fit the outline. Other aspects of building are actually harder to do well: like binding and finishing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Clinchriver wrote:
How are you planning to bend the sides? Hot pipe? No need to boil. Do a few test bends on scrap to get the feel.

hot pipe,... a new one stainless steel pipe with charcoal burner... thx.. :)