Walnut
Walnut

First name: Tom
Last Name: Wikoff
City: Springfield
State: Ohio
Zip/Postal Code: 45503
Focus: Repair
Hello all, As a community, luthiers have seen a lot of instruments over the years. I'm hoping to tap that experience and exposure. I need your help identifying an instrument. I have added a link to a photo-sharing website where you can view photos of the guitar. http://grandpadownsguitar.shutterfly.com

Some dimensions are: 38" length... 14" lower bout... 10" upper bout... 8 1/4" waist... 4" bridge with metal saddle... wood nut.

Can you help me identify this old guitar?

Thanks, Tom in Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Reminds me allot of the " Harmony " or " Kay " redneck Resonater I redid , Use search function and look at pics of "redneck resonater " and the top is the same -less the designs

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

WudWerkr wrote:
Reminds me allot of the " Harmony " or " Kay " redneck Resonater I redid , Use search function and look at pics of "redneck resonater " and the top is the same -less the designs

WudWerkr,

Loved the 'Redneck Resonator'. There are some similarities. I was hoping the artwork/design would be a giveaway to my instrument. Guess I'll have to keep searching. I just hope the search leads somewhere. Until then I'll "follow the yellow brick road".

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would start with The Kay or Harmony Area , I bet it was one they made . Probably a more costly model ,

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

WudWerkr wrote:
I would start with The Kay or Harmony Area , I bet it was one they made . Probably a more costly model ,

According to one very reputable vintage guitar source, it is "a very inexpensive student model instrument" made by Regal (Chicago) in the mid to late '30s. That source said no matter how much I spent trying to make it playable, it would not sound good. So, it looks like I'm going to clean it up, put some strings on it (with very little tension) and let the conversation begin. If I could only find a picture of grandpa playin' it... that would be the "bees knees"! Thanks for weighing in WudWerkr.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

sixstrings wrote:
WudWerkr wrote:

According to one very reputable vintage guitar source, it is "a very inexpensive student model instrument" made by Regal (Chicago) in the mid to late '30s. That source said no matter how much I spent trying to make it playable, it would not sound good. So, it looks like I'm going to clean it up, put some strings on it (with very little tension) and let the conversation begin. If I could only find a picture of grandpa playin' it... that would be the "bees knees"! Thanks for weighing in WudWerkr.
Tom

Im surprised , would have thought with that design stuff it would have been higher priced . Clean it up , put Nylon strings on it and call it a day . Still a nice talking piece when people come over .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

WudWerkr wrote:
sixstrings wrote:
WudWerkr wrote:

Tom

Im surprised , would have thought with that design stuff it would have been higher priced . Clean it up , put Nylon strings on it and call it a day . Still a nice talking piece when people come over .

That's what I'm gonna do but before I can, I have a an issue with two of the tuners and a general question. First the tuners... 2 missing screws that fasten the gear to the tuning peg shaft (hope that's correct terminology). The screw is about 6.5mm in total length, 4mm of which are threaded, the head is 5mm in diameter and is chamfered. Is that going to be difficult to find? Also, the bridge doesn't appear to have been glued on the soundboard, rather it looks to have been kept in place by the tension on the strings. Is that likely?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The bridge was movable like a mandolin bridge . They were NOT glued down . As for tuner screws , I would think that it should / could be comperable to whats available today . I would check with guys who do alot of repair , they may not be so hard to find.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

WudWerkr wrote:
The bridge was movable like a mandolin bridge . They were NOT glued down . As for tuner screws , I would think that it should / could be comperable to whats available today . I would check with guys who do alot of repair , they may not be so hard to find.

Thanks for your help, WudWerkr.

Tom