Walnut
Walnut

First name: Mark
Last Name: Pettey
City: NAPLES
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 34102
Focus: Repair
Greetings one and all....newbie here with a question about parts. I recently acquired an Egyptian 12 string Oud that is missing the bridge. Other than that, it appears to be in fine shape. I have contacted several people here in the USA (where I live) that sell Ouds, but no one seems to be able to sell me a bridge. In fact, most said "get a woodworker to make you one". Seems a bit extreme, so I decided to come here to see if anyone knows of someone or someplace I can find a bridge to fit my instrument. Any advice or help is most appreciated !

Post subject: Re: Oud repair
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
First name: duh
Last Name: Padma
City: Professional Sawdust Maker
Focus: Build
Rascal wrote:
"get a woodworker to make you one". Seems a bit extreme,

Yes it is extreme in that very few woodworkers would have a clue about the type of bridge your oud requires.

Take it to a luthier...preferably one familiar with Ouds or at least classical guitars.

Audiences and dispensations on Thursdays ~ by appointment only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I live in an area with several luthiers, but so far the ones I have contacted are scratching their heads. Guess none have ever had to deal with an Oud before. They don't even seem to know how one is strung. I was able to get alot of info off some sites that sell them, but what I can't seem to find is anyone online who sells an Oud bridge.

I guess my big question, (since I haven't seen what an Oud bridge looks like up close because it is missing on my instrument), is whether or not I could use a classical guitar bridge to accomplish the same goal.

I am trying to keep this fix down in price, as I am a single dad, and this project is not one I can sink a huge amount of money into.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I suggest you search the internet for a picture of an Oud that looks like yours so you can see what the bridge should look like. With that, and an opportunity to take some measurements, it should be relatively easy for a luthier to make a replacement.

Something like this: http://www.ethnicmusicalinstruments.com/assets/images/Mid-East/OUD4.jpg

Is there not a visible patch of unfinished wood where the bridge used to be?

You need to take some photos really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Yes, the unfinished patch on the front where the old bridge used to be is clearly visible. I am actually kind of astounded that literally every instrument dealer in the USA, even the ones who specialize in selling freshly constructed Ouds, all gave me the same answer, that there are no bridges available for purchase ! I guess the only place one could easily find a bridge would be to go to Egypt, since they obviously have them over there to use on new Ouds, lol ! Other than that, I will probably be left having to rig something up on my own, with the help of a local luthier. I have contacted several guys in my area, but none of them has ever worked on an Oud before. This looks to be an interesting adventure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Saints be praised, I have an appointment on Monday with Ross Teigan, who is familiar with Ouds. He will be able to make a new bridge.
Thanks for pushing me in this direction folks. I am sure had I tried to do this myself, I would have ended up mucking things up royally.
Love this forum.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
First name: duh
Last Name: Padma
City: Professional Sawdust Maker
Rascal wrote:
I am actually kind of astounded that literally every instrument dealer in the USA, even the ones who specialize in selling freshly constructed Ouds, all gave me the same answer, that there are no bridges available for purchase ! I guess the only place one could easily find a bridge would be to go to Egypt, since they obviously have them over there to use on new Ouds, lol ! Other than that, I will probably be left having to rig something up on my own, with the help of a local luthier. I have contacted several guys in my area, but none of them has ever worked on an Oud before. This looks to be an interesting adventure.

Yay! in finding some one to help you get bridged. Yay.

Ouds do not come off an assembly line like Fenders, Gibbsons, Matrins and a slew of other manufactures. They are literally made in ma and pa operations with their kids (not to mention grand parents), at best its a limited run "cottage industry" Thats why you have run into a wall from assuming parts could be had in NA like any car muffler...thats provided you know the maker model and year of the vehicle. Yes, Rascal, is unfortunate true, not all the world lives at Walmart. laughing6-hehe

[uncle]
blessings

Audiences and dispensations on Thursdays ~ by appointment only.