All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Erikson
State: Ca.
Focus: Build
Many of you may be aware that there's a proposed new federal ban on buying or selling any African elephant ivory within the U.S., which will impact vintage instrument owners, collectors, dealers, and those who work on them. To keep things based in facts, here are links to statements from the White House and the USFWS regarding the ivory situation:

Feb. 11, 2014, White House announcement: http://wh.gov/lQOCs.

The above announcement includes a sub-link to the full text of the National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking & Commercial Ban on Trade in Elephant Ivory: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default ... icking.pdf.

United States Fish And Wildlife Service (USFWS) Q&A on proposed new regulations: http://www.fws.gov/wildlife-trafficking ... swers.html.

USFWS http://www.fws.gov/international/travel ... swers.html.

The last Q&A also contains sub-headings for “Musicians and musical instrument manufacturers”: http://www.fws.gov/international/travel ... ers.html#7 and for “Antique Dealers”: http://www.fws.gov/international/travel ... ers.html#2.

Some states are also introducing proposed bans (which can be tougher than federal regulations but not less restrictive or in conflict), and it's almost certain that other states will be joining in. Here are the ones from New York and Hawaii:

New York: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=011 ... tory=56115.

Hawaii: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_i ... &year=2014.

These users thanked the author Chuck Erikson for the post: Frank Ford (Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Thanks for the update, Chuck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Craig
Last Name: Gordon
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14216
None of the fws links work. They come up url not found

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Links don't work because automatic formatting shortened them here. But they do work if you right click on it and choose "Copy Shortcut", then paste the address into the search box.

These users thanked the author Chuck Erikson for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Thanks for the links Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Craig
Last Name: Gordon
Zip/Postal Code: 14216
Here is the section on musical instruments:

Musicians and musical instrument manufacturers
How will the commercial and noncommercial use of musical instruments containing elephant ivory be affected?

Commercial import of musical instruments containing African elephant ivory will be prohibited.
Commercial export and sale in interstate commerce will be prohibited without an ESA permit.

Orchestras, professional musicians and similar entities will be allowed to import certain musical instruments containing African elephant ivory if the instruments qualify as pre-Convention and are not destined to be sold. Worked African elephant ivory imported as part of a musical instrument will continue to be allowed provided the worked ivory was legally acquired prior to February 26, 1976; the worked elephant ivory has not subsequently been transferred from one person to another person in pursuit of financial gain or profit; and the item is accompanied by a valid CITES musical instrument passport or CITES traveling exhibition certificate.

The import, export and sale in interstate commerce of non-antique specimens of other ESA-listed species continue to be prohibited without an ESA permit. Antique musical instruments made of endangered species that are already here in the United States may continue to be sold in interstate commerce without an ESA permit provided the seller can prove the specimen meets the definition of an antique under the ESA.

With finalization of the ”use-after-import” provisions in our CITES regulations, species listed in CITES Appendix I or in Appendix II with an annotation for noncommercial purposes (such as African and Asian elephant or sea turtle) may only be used for noncommercial purposes unless it can be proved that the specimen was imported prior to the restrictive listing.

Can ivory be imported to manufacture new musical instruments?
Our CITES regulations (50 CFR 23.55) place limits on how CITES Appendix-I and certain Appendix-II specimens may be used after import into the United States. The purpose is to prevent commercial use of specimens after import into the United States when only noncommercial trade is allowed under CITES. We are in the process of finalizing a proposed rule updating our CITES regulations, including amendments to the “use-after-import” provisions. Use after import of Appendix-I specimens is limited to noncommercial purposes except when a person can demonstrate that the specimens were imported before the species was listed in Appendix I, or they were imported under a pre-Convention certificate or other CITES exemption document. For further information, see our answers on antiques, personally owned items and musical instruments.

These users thanked the author CraigG for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Frank
Last Name: Ford
City: Palo Alto
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94301
Retirement is starting to look even better now. . .

Frank Ford

FRETS.COM
HomeShopTech
FRETS.NET

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Here are new releases from the USFWS on the ivory bans.

The Feb. 25, 2014, USFWS Director’s Order 2010, showing how agents will enforce the standing 1989 ban and what exceptions are allowed: http://www.fws.gov/policy/do210.html.

The above Director’s Order 2010 includes a sub-link to its Appendix 1, “Guidance on the Antique Exception under the Endangered Species Act (ESA): http://www.fws.gov/policy/do210A1.pdf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Pertaining to the upcoming total U.S. ban on all ivory, this YouTube link shows the public comment from Sandra Brady on March 20, 2014, to the President’s Advisory Committee on Wildlife Trafficking: http://youtu.be/8_so8ECg_zA. She is delivering a statement from fellow scrimshaw artist Linda Karst-Stone, explaining to the Council why past ivory bans have been ineffective and how this ban also will hurt innocent Americans without making an impact on elephant poaching. Brady quoted heavily from Dr. Dan Stiles, a noted expert on African elephants and on efforts to stop poaching in Africa.

Five videos of the full hearing can be accessed on the USFWS website at: http://www.fws.gov/international/adviso ... -2014.html.

Please feel free to repost the links and share these videos broadly. They show that the Council was warned about this Ivory Ban being far more likely to harm African Elephants than help them, while at the same time criminalizing innocent musicians, businesses, collectors, and anyone else who happens to own pre-ban ivory and needs to sell it for any purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

<Sigh> Welcome to the New World Order, aka the DFSA (Divided Fascist States of America.)

Oops, where my comment may seem to have gone "political", it is not. It is merely an observation of changing tides within the country and its legislative actions designed to strip away our inalienable rights, using seemingly pathetic arguments that merely give the appearance that somehow it will work toward the good of all. Outsiders, most humble apologies for sharing our insanity with you. And now I diminish back into the woodwork...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
The day is coming when the gov. will take our pay check and give us vouchers for what they think we should have.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Or they'll just plant microchips in us..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Corporate already has...it's in the cell phone glued to your head. duh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Bobc wrote:
The day is coming when the gov. will take our pay check and give us vouchers for what they think we should have.

Bob, that day is here... they are called "Federal Reserve Notes"

[:Y:]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: kurt
Last Name: thomas
City: colden
State: ny
Zip/Postal Code: 14033
The size/growth of Government is indirectly proportional to freedom. Now I'm going to make a nice cup of tea to relax.

Kurt Thomas

"There's a first time for everything even if you do it by mistake."

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lonnie
Last Name: Barber
City: Manchester
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37355
I'm new here and the talk of Elephant Ivory blows me away. I thought that was a thing of the past. I know elephants are still being poached and Rhino's killed for their horn. But honestly I didn't think it was possible to acquire ivory in the United States. I'll stick my head back in the sand. Sigh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk