Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I've been hacking an acoustic guitar to use the refinished look and feel as a piece of art. I sure have dug myself a hole so I'm looking for somebody to throw some life lines.

// Working piece is an acoustic guitar fretboard and neck fastened to the body.

A.) I scraped the finish off using heat. I intend to use Z-Poxy to bring the surface back to a workable surface prepared for paint.

B.) Recommended primers? Finish coats (type of paint), final clear coats and finish methodologies? I might add I am probably currently limited to using rattle cans for paint.

C.) Bindings which do not need routing; a simple L channel profile is what I am hoping to find and use so what material can I consider for the binding and who might the suppliers be? I'm familiar with styrene but it doesn't come in the 4-6 foot lengths needed for a single piece channel binding on front and backside. Note I do not want routing because I want the 3D and tangible look and feel of a channel profile used as a binding.

D.) Same intent with white pick guard material in large format flat sheet stock that I need a supplier for. I can fall back to acrylic as I can get it in any sheet size I want but acrylic as we all know has a different sheen and scratches easily. Ideally I would route the edge of a sheet of white laminated onto black but being new I am clueless to suppliers of the sheet stock.

I've been youtubing a lot but once I learned about this forum I thought I'd get some real interest in this application of "Instrument Conversion" and surmise experienced luthiers have done this type of project themselves already and may choose to make comments and suggestions...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Pictures always help

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/