Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:27 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jeff
So I bought some alternative electronics for my Taylo 316. The MiSi electronics I put in have a piezo pickup which goes under the saddle.

The pickup is kind of thick. When I put it in, it was obvious the saddle needed to be sanded down in order to sound decent (too much saddle was sticking out, and not enough was in the bridge).

So I sanded it down, but now it seems my low E is out of intonation.

I've been told that intonation has nothing to do with saddle height, but then how did this adjustment throw off what was otherwise a guitar in perfect intonation?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jeff
Wait... The instructions for installation suggested I sand at a slight angle to pitch the saddle a bit forward. Do you think I was too extreme and thus put the saddle forward enough to affect the intonation?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
Did it go sharp?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:57 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Generally speaking installing a UST won't change, for better or worse.... the intonation of a guitar unless of course the changes that you make actually change the "speaking length" of the string(s). A major change in action by reducing the saddle height a great deal can change the speaking length. A simple sketch of the ark that a string with one fixed end and one variable end can illustrate how drastic changes in saddle height can change speaking length. But I suspect that your action has not changed much from prior to after when you also sanded the saddle bottom.

Saddle slots are often not true in terms of width and/or depth as well. It's important for tonal balance to have a very flat saddle slot bottom. Taylors are usually very good about saddle slots in my experience. Any low spots will reduce the pressure on the UST in that region and impact the resulting balance.

You also don't want the saddle to be so loose in the slot that it can tilt OR accommodate the tilt that you read is desirable - not..... I disagree with the advice that you mentioned to sand the saddle bottom in such a manner as to cause a lean, forward or back.... I'm also wondering how thick the UST is and if the saddle slot would not benefit from being milled a bit deeper.

What you do want is the saddle to fit well in the slot with no jiggling, leaning etc but you also do not want the saddle to be so snug that it cannot move up and down freely or that will impact the results for the UST too.

It's also important for maximum performance from the UST to have the saddle bottom absolutely flat too to match that saddle slot. Think uniform contact area everywhere.....

I also wanted to suggest that if you put the old strings back on and the intonation is way off pitch them and start with new strings. Strings that have been on another guitar or even the same instrument and then something changes such as saddle height can develop a kink or set that is not where the string needs to break over the saddle after the mods. This kink can assist a vibrating wave in breaching the break point of the saddle throwing off intonation and then of course all bets are off.

If your action was acceptable prior to the installation and if your action remains similar after the installation and the saddle is not loose, not leaning and the strings are new and have no previous kink or set from prior use all should be fine including intonation provided that the intonation was good prior.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Focus: Build
"The instructions for installation suggested I sand at a slight angle to pitch the saddle a bit forward."

I have my doubts about this. If the saddle fits well in the slot it should be fairly tight and not be able to tilt forward or back - it is held upright by the front and back walls of the slot. Sanding an angle on the bottom of the saddle will just reduce the surface area of contact with the piezo and the soundboard - definitely not a good thing, as Hesh points out.