Post subject: Bass Neck Replacement
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I've been gassing for another lined fretless bass. I wanted to sell two of the Squier basses I have to fund it, but that hasn't worked out. I'm thinking I'll just replace the neck on the '87/'88 Squier Jazz with the active EMG pickups and put the Badass bridge back on it.

Any recommendations/cautions on a replacement neck? I can buy a Squier fretless for around $300-$350 on ebay, so I really don't want to spend any more than is necessary for the conversion.

These users thanked the author fumblefinger for the post: CraigG (Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:19 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: English
City: South Bend
State: IN
Focus: Build
Not to be rude, but this is a luthiers forum, and asking which replacement neck to buy seems like a question for some other forum. No self respecting lutier buy's necks, he makes them. You should be asking :

How to make a fretted bass into a fretles one?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ummm, that's why I put it under the Restoration and Repair rather than the Build section.

I know how to turn the neck into a fretless, but this piece doesn't justify the labor or ruining a piece of history. The 87/88 Squiers were the first years (they didn't differentiate between the two years) that Squiers were built in Korea. To change the original neck doesn't make any sense.

I'm looking for advice from those who may have been down this road before. Maybe I need to just stick to PMing the people here who are helpful. Chris, Dave?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Warmoth has high standards, and a good warranty that they stand behind and honor, as well as lined fretless bass necks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
Mr. English is correct about Warmoth, but he does kinda have an attitude that he should leave at the door....

My suggestion, Allan - fretless Squier necks are available cheaply on fleabay. I've had a couple, and as long as you yank the injected molded cheese they use for a nut, and put in bone - they'll serve you well. For a lined fretless, why not buy a fretted one, pull the frets, and fill the slots?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: B. Howard (Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:10 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:07 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
Mr. English is correct about Warmoth, but he does kinda have an attitude that he should leave at the door....
It's hard to gain altitude without any attitude! And I for one think that "Political correctness" is an obvious scam!!! Although not religious, I am somewhat of a Buddhist, and quite in the Zen direction thereof, where it is common to kick someone in the but in order to coax them into thinking for themselves, in this case doing a little research on his own. Sometimes a little harm does a lot of good! I did start my first response with "I don't want to be rude but,".

In the end, I must recommend he makes it a fretless by himself, as the hyped up heritage of a drone made factory instrument popped out of a cookie cutter, is nothing compared to a single persons devotion, skills and craftsmanship! And if he does a good job the rewards are incomparable to the $400 it will be worth in original condition, based on a price controlling non intelligence based collectors market.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Guitarizzmo wrote:
Chris Pile wrote:
It's hard to gain altitude without any attitude! And I for one think that "Political correctness" is an obvious scam!!! Although not religious, I am somewhat of a Buddhist, and quite in the Zen direction thereof, where it is common to kick someone in the but in order to coax them into thinking for themselves, in this case doing a little research on his own. Sometimes a little harm does a lot of good! I did start my first response with "I don't want to be rude but,".

Religion, politics, etc......this is not the place for those.

And your original post did have quite an air of arrogance as read by me as well. If you need to start a statement with the phrase "I don't want to be rude but,......" you already know you are being rude and apologizing in advance for bad behavior........Poor form sir.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post (total 2): Dave Rickard (Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 pm) • Jeffrey L. Suits (Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:56 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd already looked at Warmoth and decided that one of those pushed the budget too far. I think I'll just concentrate on selling what I have and keep an eye out for a nice used Warwick.

Mr. English I see you've only been on the forum for a week. I think you'll find this fourum is populated by some of the most talented luthiers in the country, if not the world. They are typically very generous when it comes to sharing their considerable knowledge. Especially to someone like myself, just starting out. I hope this willingness to help continues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
Quote:
No self respecting lutier buy's necks, he makes them.

While we are piling on the troll... If the client wants a Warmoth neck, you get one for him, OK? I made a lot of money that way.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Jeffrey L. Suits (Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:56 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
" If you need to start a statement with the phrase "I don't want to be rude but,......" you already know you are being rude and apologizing in advance for bad behavior........Poor form sir."
Well said Mr Howard