Walnut

First name: Raymond
Last Name: Chew
City: Richmond
State: BC
Zip/Postal Code: V6Y 3J1
Focus: Repair
Hi Everyone...

First off, I'd like to say I'm new to guitar work so please excuse the newbie questions. I've been doing setups on my own guitars and am now going to take the plunge into fret dressing. As a result, I find myself having to acquire some specialized tools. After much research, I decided to purchase a diamond offset crowning file. However, I did not buy it from THE large supplier (cough...SM). Since I don't intend on making any money from this work, I decided to save a few bucks and purchased it from one of the smaller suppliers instead. Anyway, I received it and upon inspection, was surprised to discover that the tool had a severe curve along the flat plane. If I lay the tool against a flat glass surface, I could probably slip a credit card under it. The retailer was kind enough to exchange it for me but the replacement also exhibits a curve, albeit much less pronounced. Before I reach out to the retailer again, I was wondering if someone here who might have the same tool can tell me if this is normal. I just don't have the experience to know if this is going to be a problem when I'm crowning frets.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Focus: Build
Can you post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:47 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Here you go. The first picture is the replacement file I received. The second one is the original one which has now been sent back. As you can see, the replacement is much better. Unfortunately, when I took that shot, it was already dark out. I put a flashlight behind it so you can see some light peeking through. The files are sitting on a precision ground fret leveling beam so it should be straight.

Ray

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Oh wow that doesn't look good to me. I'm far from the most experienced forum member here but I would not use either of those.

I find plenty of challenge in fret work without using bent tools that should be straight.

I've got the Stew Mac ones and they're straight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:03 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks Durero!

That's what I thought as well. I guess I'll have to buck up for the StewMac files. The exchange rate is going to make this one very expensive tool. I would be interested to hear of any opinions on a less expensive option. I chose this type of file because all my research indicates this is the easiest way to achieve a decent crown as an amateur.

Ray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:10 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
We do fret work near daily and are professional repair Luthiers using the Stew-Mac diamond files. The file needs to be straight.

The process demands that your tools are predictable and accurate in so much as at times we are chasing that last swipe of the file. If that last swipe of the file hits somewhere else other than where we intended it to hit it's not good....

Worth a mention and not directed at the OP for those who think that Stew-Mac is expensive for quality tools this is an example of an alternative that sucks.... and will not deliver the value anticipated. This is the second file too from this source.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Riedmiller
State: WI
Echoing what Hesh posted, Stew Mac's tools cost a bit more up front but less in the long haul. Helps keep more hair on your head as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Rocky Road for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My first SM offset diamond fret file didn't have enough diamond dust on it, but they sent a replacement pronto.

A quality breach in these days of far off manufacturing is not uncommon, so sellers just need to be able to follow through.

I'm realizing more and more that you really need to check everything. Even things sold as "precision" tools. (For stuff like obscure lutherie tools anyways. Not talking about something like Starret, Incra etc.)

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks everyone for your insights and comments. I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences.

Rocky Road...LoL...yes...I need to keep all existing top of head insulation at this stage in my life :-)

Ray