Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:32 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi, I have a Furch acoustic and there was some really bad setup work that was recently done on my acoustic guitar in southern Bavaria. I asked for action to be lowered and the person filed upper frets, leaving sharp rectangular edges on some, and resulting in a guitar that is now hard to fret. I am in Montenegro now, and am trying to find reputable luthiers who can refret a guitar and set it up based on how I play. I am willing to travel considerably far from here and already have a couple recommendations, so looking for others. Of course, closer the better. I play mostly solo, classical stuff by Bach, Paganini, Bethoven, pick style on steel string. So I need low action to be able to play technical pieces well. Higher action just leaves too much room for error. Also need setup such that fretting of notes is done with as little pressure as possible. My guitar was almost to this point just by my own setup attempt, then weather did something and I brought it to someone to get it back in shape, but then with disastrous results. So long story short, I need a refretting probably, so I really need someone very experienced, reputable. Someone who a pro would go to and spend whatever was needed. I love the guitar and really need it playing how I need it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lonnie
Last Name: Barber
City: Manchester
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37355
Focus: Build
I don't really know a good answer for your problem. But I do have a question for you,if I may. Seeing as how you play both classical as well as steel string. Have you ever tried a crossover guitar? I play both types of guitars as well but recently I bought an old harmony h-171 I think. Which is an all mahogany guitar steel string set up with classical strings. Making it super easy to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:52 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Rick
Last Name: Rosenberg
Focus: Repair
Not sure how much this helps but I came across this European Guitar Builders Association. Sadly there are membership fees involved but you can always try emailing someone for guidance! http://www.europeanguitarbuilders.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:07 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Milan
Last Name: Dimitrijevic
City: Jagodina
State: Serbia
Zip/Postal Code: 35220
Focus: Build
Zou have some good luthiers in belgrade.