PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: English
City: South Bend
State: IN
Focus: Build
I need an official C. F. Martin & Co. logo decal for an 1937 R-17 I just repaired the headstock on, and am in somewhat of a bind:

I got the guitar in to repair a bad repair: The headstock broke off in the early 70's, and was repaired by its owner using Elmer's glue. It held up for nearly 30 years, but slowly worked it's way apart again and was near snapping back off again. The guitar is otherwise in good shape where it counts and sounded pretty good even with strings that were on it for a few years (Yikes).

It was quite a mess, and I had to do some surgery and graft in new wood. Since it was broke all the way through, and has a huge clamp dent in it, I would like to replace the headstock capping. I contacted Martin about getting a logo, and they said that they only give them to "Authorized" repair people. So I asked them to become authorized, but they said that they are not looking to expand in that area at the moment. I pleaded with them, offered to send them pictures of my perfect fit grafts... but no deal. The representative suggested I try to get one from an authorised repair shop.

The key word here is "TRY". I have heard that they do not look kindly to unauthorized people using their logo, not even on their own guitars, no matter how good the craftsman, which I find to be rather unfair. So either they are pointing out a loophole or trying to set me up for a lawsuit, and possibly catch an authorized repair shop in the act... I have no way of knowing for sure.

I do not want to let my client down, devalue the instrument (~$2000 to $4000) by not having a logo, and do not want to put my name on a half ass repair by having it look near perfect in the back, and messed up in the front. I also do not want a fake logo, as I myself frown upon cheating and copyright infringement.

I could try and call every Authorized shop I can find individually and ask, but before I do, here I may have a better chance of finding a few, all at once. If any of you is authorized by Martin, and can furbish a Logo on the up n' up, I would be giddy. Of course I will pay for it within reason, but can not shell out the "I can charge whatever I want, because you need it" price.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:31 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hey Bob: We don't have any labels but what I wanted to add here was that it's my impressions that logos and labels are requested and fulfilled these days by both Martin and Taylor on an individual basis and only with an approved warranty repair authorization submitted and approved.

We've replaced labels on Taylors that some hack punch through with a Craftsman 32 piece socket set when the label was a low serial number Lemon Grove personally signed by Bob. That took administrative paperwork, the normal chain of command, you know typical American business bureaucracy and head banging for a seemingly very simple request. Martin is easier to deal with by far but still anything that could be used to assist in a forgery is heavily scrutinized these days by either manufacturer in my experience.

Sorry I can't help here but I wanted to suggest to you that I don't think that folks have these laying around unless, of course, it's a forgery.

I also wanted to suggest that Martin is VERY client centric and it may be that your client if they are the original purchaser might contact Martin him or herself and inquire?

We've seen Martin honor a warranty request for a neck reset 50 years out with no documentations of original ownership beyond a black and white pic of a toothless 9 year old kid holding the D-35. Great company!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: English
City: South Bend
State: IN
Focus: Build
Thanks Hesh,

I am sure the guitar is long out of warranty (1937). My clients dad bought the guitar (a cheap find) for him around 1969-70 and my client was already in collage for a few years. He is not the original owner of course. I guess he is around 65 possibly older, and decided to have it repaired now that he is retired, and also in honour of his dad who gave it to him. I could try and get him to let me take a picture of him weeping over the guitar like Charlton Heston!

Does anyone have a toothless kid I can borrow?

These users thanked the author Guitarizzmo for the post: Hesh (Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 pm)