Post subject: Copic Markers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
Focus: Build
I've seen a few talented folks I follow on IG using Copic markers for instrument touchup work - specifically color matching aged binding, or spot staining wood to match where the finish has been damaged. I just picked up a few at the local art store to test on color matching some mahogany stain, as well as aging a few bridge pins. For larger projects I usually take time to custom mix ColorTone stains, but these pens come in incredibly subtle shades of yellows/creams/bone/tan/brown for quick touchups.
[url]
https://copic.jp/en/about/color_system/[/url]

The store pointed out that they also sell ink and replacement nibs for maintaining pens - a $5 bottle of ink will refill a Copic Sketch pen 13 times - so expensive to get the pens, but reasonable to maintain.
https://copic.jp/en/product/variousink/#25cc

I'm not certain they are archival colors (very likely not) but could be another great tool to have around.

Have any of you tried using these alcohol based markers?

These users thanked the author dpetrzelka for the post: George L (Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm)

Post subject: Re: Copic Markers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Used markers with very fine roller points for years and years on mandolin and guitar purfling. I think the white markers were lacquer or some such thing. Was more of less a slop it on and when dry, scrape it to match the line. Black worked nicely too on joints where the purfling didn't quite work as planned.
Very hard to tell with mandolins as sometimes you couldn't tell what was going on till it was all sanded. Much less forgiving than guitars. Also great stuff for getting rid of mineral deposits on IRW.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: George L (Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
Haans - sounds like you were using opaque black/white for correcting perfling lines - very cool.

The Copic alcohol markers I'm looking at are transparent colors in an alcohol base that allow very subtle color layering/blending. I'm specifically looking at using them to help color match new white plastic binding/pins to match existing aged plastic. Or to spot dye darker side woods if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yea, mostly...everything was new.
Sounds like that stuff would work...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
dpetrzelka wrote:
Haans - sounds like you were using opaque black/white for correcting perfling lines - very cool.

I tried doing this a couple of times, using various materials (paint, ink, etc.) but was unhappy with the results. I'll have to look into these markers. Few things are more frustrating to me than purflings that don't quite match up. I suspect this a common annoyance, as so many builders choose to skip making such intersections whenever possible. I'm always interested in exploring new options, Daniel, so thanks for the links.