Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Flis
City: Wyandotte
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 48192
Focus: Repair
When refretting there is a bur or "hangnail" effect happening at the ends when beveling. Is this due to type of files, technique or fret materiel? sorry so broad. I noticed when switching to Jescar it was reduced from SM wire (to me ). I keep my file clean as possible, stopping to clean them every couple of passes.

Any advice to reduce this effect would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Clean Fret ends
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Do you expect to be able to go from bevel filing to playing it? There is not only a burr but a sharp edge after filing the bevel. I use a multi-step process:

1) File the edge off of each fret end with a special fret end dressing file. The Stew Mac one works but I got a finer one off eBay. http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Fretting/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html
2) Wrap 320 grit sandpaper over my index fingernail and sand the fret with a few strokes over the fret end.
3) Do the same with 800 grit
4) Buff with a buffing wheel and gray compound. This gives a nicely rounded fret end.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: DaveFlis (Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Flis
City: Wyandotte
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 48192
Barry Daniels, Thank you for your reply and nice looking frets by the way. I do go from a Nicholson Smooth cut file to a diamond file in the bevel block, dressing file, then micro mesh sanding sticks works out real nice.

I am newer to the forum. I have a good amount of refretting experience, but hardly a Pro, maybe one a month. My question is regarding the pieces that I end up picking out with a xacto knife or awl and then chasing that again. Should I choose a different type of bevel file? or maybe I have a too heavy pressure while filing. Just trying to reduce that annoyance, it eats up a lot of time. Edit- where the fret meets the binding in your photo- the T shape gets little flaps or over hang- my end results are about the same, i just hate those little guys getting there. I notice more on unbound boards more so. Thanks again for your help.

Best,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Dave, I have found that when using the StewMac bevel file I got better results applying moderate pressure from the side of the fretboard, instead of the top (the tool does not lend itself to this technique). In fact, if you can mount the guitar neck in a playing position instead of laying flat on the bench, this technique is much easier and more effective. I do not use the file Barry recommended, but use the smallest size of StewMac's 3 corner fret dressing file to clean up the bevel after using the bevel file. A few passes on each side rolled to the center is sufficient. Then I sand the fret end with 320 and 600 wet-or-dry sandpaper, and polish it with at least one grit of their excellent fret erasers. The number of happy clients I have after using this method is quite high, and their satisfaction endures for quite some time. As a result, I do a lot of fret work - to the point that I am turning away some customers. Choices must be made, you know.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 3): jfmckenna (Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am) • Clinchriver (Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm) • DaveFlis (Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:08 pm)