PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've been working on this old LG-1 for a while, and I'm ready to refinish the head stock and need to source a new decal. I've seen on etsy there are countless different decals available for restoring old guitars. But I've got a couple questions about what I'm looking for.

First some sellers are advertising real gold foil, while others advertise water slide decals, and some advertise vinyl decals. I'm assuming what I want in this case is a metallic gold waterslide decal? I've used water slide decals in the past on few of my own guitar projects, and countless WW2 models in my younger years.

The second question is about the dot on the I. Most decals seem to nail the font, but have the dot on the I separate. On my guitar the dot on the I is touching the G. Does anyone know if that is unique to certain guitars, or is that a specific period marker? I've seen a couple people advertise "50s" Gibson logos and they seem to make the G and the dot touch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Headstock logo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Gibson actually used a silkscreen to print those. I have a silkscreen I use to reproduce them.

The waterslides always seem to ghost through and never look legit IMO.

I have used vinyl and metal foils and both can be quite acceptable.

The dot on the "I" has moved around a bit through the years both on printed and inlaid logos. A good graphics shop should be able to cut you a few from vinyl if you scan the original though you will likely need to do the "weeding" on something this small.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 am 
Koa
Koa

That's right, I remember a stew mac trade secrets video Dan Erlewine did a while ago using a frisket to get that silk screened look. I suppose I could try and find a frisket for the logo I'm looking for, but sourcing gold metallic nitro in canada will be problematic. Perhaps some gold model paint may be compatible. I'll have to do some thinking and experimenting.

Brian, would you suggest barring an actual silk screen, or the use of a frisket that the gold foil or vinyl logos would be the best way to go? I'm assuming you'd apply them to the black of the peghead face, or maybe on top of a couple coats of clear, and then bury them in clear just like a waterslide decal?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
I've had very good results from a graphics vendor in New Mexico, Callie Graphics. I suggest contacting her with what you want (one-person business).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Conor_Searl wrote:
That's right, I remember a stew mac trade secrets video Dan Erlewine did a while ago using a frisket to get that silk screened look. I suppose I could try and find a frisket for the logo I'm looking for, but sourcing gold metallic nitro in canada will be problematic. Perhaps some gold model paint may be compatible. I'll have to do some thinking and experimenting.

Brian, would you suggest barring an actual silk screen, or the use of a frisket that the gold foil or vinyl logos would be the best way to go? I'm assuming you'd apply them to the black of the peghead face, or maybe on top of a couple coats of clear, and then bury them in clear just like a waterslide decal?

I have always found frisket to be a PITA personally and that it will not do anything I cannot do with good tape. I have used both vinyl and metal decals and like them with a few notes. First they are thick and will require thicker finish to bury them. The quality of the vinyl film, or actually the adhesive on it is key. I know 3m products work well, cheaper films???? Metal film looks a bit more waterslide while vinyl looks more like screened. These are applied as you assume right over the black coat after a bit of prep and buried in clear.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:47 am 
Koa
Koa

phavriluk wrote:
I've had very good results from a graphics vendor in New Mexico, Callie Graphics. I suggest contacting her with what you want (one-person business).

Peter, what did you send her? Would a simple picture of what I need work, or do I need a specific and properly scaled file?