All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Carvin acoustic repair
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Focus: Build
I have a Carvin acoustic with a punched in section on the top. Any thoughts on how I can safely push up the depressed piece to glue it back in place? There are angles to the break that currently keep it from being pushed back up. I can reach it inside and have exerted a little pressure from top and below but don’t want to chance more of a break. I’ll be using thin GluBoost for the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Without seeing it and poking around inside I would start by clamping the damaged area in between two blocks of UHMW (most glues don't stick to it, you might want some waxed paper on the inside). Wick your Glueboost into the cracks and clamp tight to try to force it flat. (I would use AR glue for the actual repairs to get more working time). Once that was done I would glue a cross grain cleat or two across the damage - it might be possible that a piece of back reinforcement would work. I frequently put a piece of double stick tape on the inside jaw of a bridge clamp to hold a cleat in place on the clamp while I get it all lined up. I would wick some water thin CA into the top/binding cracks to try to get some penatration. Lastly, do your finish repair with Gluboost - a Carvin acoustic will be some sort of catalyzed poly so the finish repair will be difficult.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: nathanpeirson (Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:21 pm)