All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I've got a Breedlove Atlas AD25 steel string on the bench. Pickup/preamp is a Fishman Classic 4T which is dead. Fishman recommends replacing it with a Prefix Pro Blend at about $350 for the part. I usually stay away from these things so would appreciate any recommendations for a decent replacement without busting the clients bank account. The preamp on the upper bout is about 2" x 3".

Client brought it in because the pickup system quit working. Tuner works but makes a fair amount of noise when plugged in to the amp and with tuner off there is no signal to the amp. I troubleshot the system, cleaned it, disassembled the tuner on/off switch to clean/lube. All the wires are ok and batt LED flashes like it should. I'm not asking for troubleshooting help, I've already figured out this thing is dead.

Thanks!

Edit: Like I said I don't normally use these internal preamps so I don't know what's decent out there. I see LR Baggs has some lower cost alternatives but I have no idea if they're any good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Found a replacement part on eBay for about $50.

Edit: Tor anyone else repairing one of these. The replacement was from a group of take-offs from damaged guitars at a music store in Europe. The part was DOA on arrival. I went back to ebay and found a new Fishman Presys (a newer version of the Classic 4T, I think) for less money so I will try that. There were lots of new units available from China, no doubt where they are made, but shipping is 6 to 10 weeks. I hate active preamps in the guitar gaah