PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I'm always on the lookout for learning experiences, but the kind that will teach me how to do other repairs that might come through the door down the road, not the kind that involve something no one would ever pay for.

This little Harmony Terz guitar came in with a loose neck, I doubt it even needs a reset, but when the neck came off, some of the dovetail stayed behind. What's the best way to address this? I'm assuming it needs to be rebuilt? Should I cut the broken section out so I can glue new wood onto a flat surface and then recut the dovetail?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
That dovetail doesn't even look like the same wood species as the neck. Is it just butt glued to the end of the neck's heel?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

I hadn't thought of that Barry. I don't think it is. Looking at the end grain straight on the grain looks like its oriented the exact same way. But from the side it looks like it could be a different block of wood. There's no obvious glue lines or anything though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
It still looks suspicious to me. The dovetail is a white wood but the neck looks like some type of mahogany. The photo looking down at the heel cap shows a dark line that could be glue joint. It is iffy to diagnose these issues using photos so I recommend that you do further exploration.

If the dovetail is part of the neck then you could carve the broken area down to a flat surface and glue on some replacement wood. Use some type of glue that won't come apart with steam.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Conor_Searl (Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm) • berberiv (Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Is it chalk?

I would try and chisel out the part left behind in one piece and glue it back in place. Else notch out and inlay.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Paul
State: Illinois
Focus: Repair
Looks like a stained Poplar neck, fairly common in lower end instruments.

The missing area isn't that bad, just add new wood as suggested, I have repaired far worse in this manner.

I would use West System epoxy to add the the missing bits and would also use the West System to coat the open grain of the dovetail end. Poplar end grain really soaks up the water and swells when you steam a neck off. When I do projects like this, I try to make the job a bit easier, if possible, in case the neck ever comes off again.

These users thanked the author Resophonic for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Conor, you can replace the wood with whatever crumbs are left, or slice off the rough and glue on new wood for re-shaping, or simply fill it. Believe it or not, it would would probably hold even if you did nothing but glue it back in with the proper glue. If I were you, I'd do whatever you think expedient for the job, or consider it a learning experience and try some new techniques to add to your arsenal of skills and abilities. I don't think there is a bad choice here.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
Is it chalk?

I would try and chisel out the part left behind in one piece and glue it back in place. Else notch out and inlay.

My first thought too. But it crumbled apart as I chiselled.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
I've had that happen so many times, frustrating every time it happens.

Best course (easiest and most reliable) I've found is to slice off all the chipped bits to give yourself a flat surface. Graft in a new piece of wood and cut/shape to match the dovetail shape. When you glue it just be sure to use something that won't come apart easy with heat. Epoxy can work for this as well as titebond 2. Anything that'll withstand more heat/steam than hide glue will work fine.