Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:47 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Got a strat in for a fret level to deal with the usual ski ramp issues.

Upon examination, the neck is exhibiting a little more upbow than the truss rod can handle. Under string tension relief is at .007” with the rod maxed. Without string tension the neck goes just barely into backbow with the rod set like this. Backing the rod off a tiny fraction (like 1/12th turn) gets the neck straight, loosening it any more sees it go into pretty major upbow.

I don’t really want to level the frets with the neck straight as string tension will pull more relief into the neck than the tiny remaining adjustment range of the rod can correct.

Would it be acceptable to loosen the rod a little more and level out some of the excessive upbow with the aim of hitting lower relief under string tension and having slightly more scope for rod adjustment?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Does the truss rod have smooth travel in each direction? Some necks will relax after tightening the truss rod all the way and leaving it for a day or two, and then loosening it all the way for a day or two. A couple back and forths (provided you have the time) can works the kinks out of the neck - so to speak.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Hesh (Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 am) • joshnothing (Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:53 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Some truss rods max out because you hit the end of the threads. A thick washer under the nut may give you several more turns.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 3): Hesh (Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 am) • joshnothing (Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:09 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Does the truss rod have smooth travel in each direction? Some necks will relax after tightening the truss rod all the way and leaving it for a day or two, and then loosening it all the way for a day or two. A couple back and forths (provided you have the time) can works the kinks out of the neck - so to speak.

Travel is smooth but short - less than a half turn from loose to tight, and the same going the other way (two-way rod). Great tip, I’ll give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

Barry Daniels wrote:
Some truss rods max out because you hit the end of the threads. A thick washer under the nut may give you several more turns.

Thanks Barry, great idea. It’s a bi-flex so I’ll try to remove the little walnut plug and take a look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I use a soldering iron with a temp control to heat up the walnut plug and they come out pretty easy.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 3): Chris Pile (Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:36 pm) • Hesh (Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 am) • joshnothing (Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:58 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:14 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
joshnothing wrote:
Got a strat in for a fret level to deal with the usual ski ramp issues.

Upon examination, the neck is exhibiting a little more upbow than the truss rod can handle. Under string tension relief is at .007” with the rod maxed. Without string tension the neck goes just barely into backbow with the rod set like this. Backing the rod off a tiny fraction (like 1/12th turn) gets the neck straight, loosening it any more sees it go into pretty major upbow.

I don’t really want to level the frets with the neck straight as string tension will pull more relief into the neck than the tiny remaining adjustment range of the rod can correct.

Would it be acceptable to loosen the rod a little more and level out some of the excessive upbow with the aim of hitting lower relief under string tension and having slightly more scope for rod adjustment?

If the rod is maxed out after the washer thing see below:

Yep you've got it. You can reshape the fret plane and this one needs it too. I would relax the rod, encourage the forward bow and then mill it out. Are the frets tall ones from a more modern start if so you are good to go. This could be done as a refret too and some of the frets by the nut will get pretty low.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:58 am)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've been loving the new (ish) Stew mac understring levelers for stuff like this.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... g-leveler/

Instead of using the truss rod to adjust the neck to dial in relief you use string tension. It's made precise relief adjustments so much simpler for me. Mostly on my own guitars, but in general I would think.

I'll level at tension (or just about) for the B and E then back off slightly for the D and G and back off more for the bottom 2. It usually leaves me with a nicely graduated relief and has been very predictable.

These users thanked the author Burton LeGeyt for the post (total 2): Conor_Searl (Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:43 pm) • joshnothing (Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:28 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:43 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks Burton, I’d been looking at those levellers but hadn’t heard from anyone that was using them. I do remember reading a post from Laurent Brondel a while ago too about using L-shaped aluminium extrusion to get under the strings and level under tension too.

To close the loop on this, I gave the neck a day to settle, threw on the extra washer but still felt I didn’t have quite the adjustment range. So I loosened the rod slightly and levelled out the relief. Restrung three times during levelling to check how things were tracking and all seemed well. Finished the setup today, ended up at .004” relief with the 3/64ths under the top strings that this guy wanted. As always thank you all for your guidance!

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:18 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:37 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:18 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Good going Josh, sounds like she's singing pretty again thanks to you man! Very cool!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:23 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:27 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Yeaux
Last Name: Maumma
Barry Daniels wrote:

this here. sometimes ive had to add a couple to get desired results.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I bought a box of special extra thick washers from McMaster Carr specifically for this purpose.