Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
Focus: Build
I am very familiar with headstock repair from the days when I used to have a shop in town. These days I mostly build, but do take some repairs if they are interesting.This repair is on a well used Guild version of a 335, so not much value in the guitar. The headstock repair is fairly straight forward, and since the neck has a burst already, the finish work will be easy. However, the blow to the neck loosened the center joints in the 3 piece neck down to about the 5 th fret. I'll have to take the fretboard off and try to force some thinned glue all the way through the the center seam, either from the top or back. Just wondering if anyone has successfully done this and have the neck lam stay together. Photos are at the web link below.Thanks, Bob http://www.pegasusguitars.com/neck.html

Post subject: Re: Headstock repair
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Yes, I repaired a Gretsch archtop many years ago that was laminated like that. Came out fine, and I think your repair will be fine, too. Just clean the old glue well, use new glue, and have fun touching it all up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
If I may please add anytime a neck or a fretboard has been off the internment at least a fret dress is recommended as the fret plane is no longer true from the invasive procedures. These guitars were used by folks who often played music where low action was desirable, jazz, blues, rock, etc. Unlike a Uke where fret planes are less sensitive because of the greater arc of the thicker strings over the frets a steel string's fret plane is much more sensitive again if low action is required.

I've never seen a neck delaminate like this one, was it exposed to heat or high RH or both?

Thanks and good luck this looks like a tough one too in terms of time it will require. Ditto on Chris's remark regarding touch-up, there will be some of that :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
There seems to be more delamination of glue joints compared to broken wood grain in that neck, which would indicate to me that a hot car was involved.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:09 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:10 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Barry Daniels wrote:
There seems to be more delamination of glue joints compared to broken wood grain in that neck, which would indicate to me that a hot car was involved.

Thanks Barry I agree there has to be some reason why this thing came apart at the seams mostly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
Focus: Build
I would never assume that I could get by with a simple fret leveling. I expect to have to level/straighten the fretboard/neck and refret it.While it is humid here in Hawaii, I imagine the wood seperation was caused by the blow the neck took. I'm sure you are all familiar with the hammer and chisel method of removing bridges on old guitars. The bridges separate very easily with a sharp blow. Try that on a guitar only a few years old and you'll likely end up with a bunch of top splinters stuck to the bridge. So, I'm thinking the same idea applies to this neck. A sharp blow probably fractured the old, hard glue lines. Since there will be old glue crud between the laminates, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get enough glue in there to get them to hold together. I'll see! As I said, I only take on interesting repairs anymore, and this qualifies. Finish should be easy. Hiding stuff with a burst is way easier than trying to make a clear finish look good over a fracture repair. Thanks for the input.-Bob