All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big mess.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Focus: Build
Hi folks, A bit of backstory (I'll make it brief) when I was a boy I found my Grandad's Weissenborn style guitar (doubt it is an actual one). It was in a basement and the side was stoved in . I took it home and my folks had it "repaired" by a young college age friend. That was 50+ years ago. I am now restoring it if I can. I was able to get the back and fingerboard off and will eventually remove the top. Inside was awash with old hide glue and fabric patches to try and seal a myriad of cracks and splits. Some long, roughly fashioned cleats were also glued on the side to strengthen the cracks (young college friends repair). What I plan to do is replace the badly damaged side. I will also try to remove all of the hide glue and fabric from the inside. It's in a bad enough shape that I will need to replace the kerfing and then bind it to compensate for the ragged edges. I will also refinish it. Why am I writing? I am wondering what approach some of you would have, other than just burning it. It is a personal project. I don't care about keeping it completely original. So, any thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Big mess.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

With that much to go through, and you're going to take the top off anyways, I'd be tempted to just take the braces off. Bridge and patch too. Clean it up and a light run through the drum sander, re brace etc.

Pat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:33 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I would never attempt something this corrupted by poor prior work and time, etc. But I understand the attraction Nathan and good on you for wanting to help an old friend/guitar out!

Might I suggest a different approach. Use it to model a recreation and build one just like it from scratch. Where you can use a part from the original, say a side do so. It may be less work building a new one from scratch than repairing this one AND attempting to get poor prior work and glues to release.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:02 am)

Post subject: Big mess.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:49 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Update on the repair and full disclosure, this was my Grandfather’s guitar, so there is the hook. Moor years it’s been sitting in the closet and I felt it’s either time to try a repair or just chuck it. I can’t pass up a good challenge and brother, is this a challenge! I do need to source wood for a new side and have posted on the building forum. I’m looking for a piece of quarter sawn mahogany 4x40x .85. Any leads are appreciated.
Also, I have managed to get all the old hide glue and canvas off the inside and have removed all the braces and bridge plate. There are a fair amount of cracking which will be repaired and I’m thinking that I will try and seal the outside with epoxy fill after removing the already compromised shellac finish. I would assume that would also seal any micro cracks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by nathanpeirson on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author nathanpeirson for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:18 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: B
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Maybe you can give us an update on your Grandfather's guitar and what direction it is taking you? This is an awesome restoration project.

Karl B.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi all, here is some of the progress I’ve made on the the project. As I started really looking at it I discovered there was really nothing very symmetrical about the guitar. I don’t know who built it originally (it wasn’t my Grandad). The top appears to be Koa but I still can’t tell. The sides were macho and too far gone to repair. I think the back is mahogany as well but certainly not quarter sawn. I’ve decided not to do a strict renovation but give it better bones through a better strut pattern. I’ve also added new sides of Sapele. I was initially get quarter sawn mahogany the length needed. I’ll post more as I get closer to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nathanpeirson for the post (total 2): SteveSmith (Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 am) • Hesh (Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:20 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:03 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

It appears I attached the photos to a prior post if you are interested.

These users thanked the author Nate Peirson for the post: Kbore (Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:38 pm)