Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ok you ask for it. I'll admit it's probably not the best way or safest way but this is how I do it for now.

Last edited by Chris Paulick on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Henderson
Last Name: Nuuhiwa
City: Honolulu
State: HI
Zip/Postal Code: 96817
Focus: Build
Thanks Chris!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bert
Last Name: Foster
City: Gainesville
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30506
Very informative and a bit scary. I had no idea you free handed the purfling channel and the binding channel. You must have very steady hands and no fear. Thanks for taking the time to video the procedure.

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It get's easier (and hopefully better) each time just like most of this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:52 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lars
Last Name: Stahl
City: Stockholm
Thanks alot for these clips Chris !
I have one question though. on clip 2, is there a reason you trim the purf ? I meen isnĀ“t it faster and easier to just do that once bindings are in place ,then just sand or orbital sand it flush ?
I will attempt this soon.
Lars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It sure is and that's how I usually do it as you can see in my older binding youtube. The reason I tried it this way was because I was concerned about getting the binding shaped to the bevel. I was pretty sure I was going to have to do the SuperSoft thing with the ribrest bevel especially since it has a weird compound type of curve thing going on. And I really didn't want to have to worry about the purf getting in the way so I wanted it set and flush just like it was part of the side plus I had to match the 45 of the purf at the taid graft. So I didn't want the purf blocking my view or hindering me in any way if you know what I mean. I realize it was doubble the work and all that but I didn't want any headaches from the purf. As you saw the binding ended up shapping and going on pretty good in the end. I was happy with the outcome and it went pretty smooth. So I think the extra work pay off in the end. I did the other half that way just because I had the time while the binding soaked. And I wanted to place bevel binding first because I could fit the butt joint of the bindings easier if the bevel side was installed first .
Like I said there probably is a faster and better way of doing it and I'm just not there yet. The only reason I posted it was because a few people ask about it. It's still a work in process as a lot of this building stuff is as you probably know from your building experiances. It's still ruff as far as I'm concerned but I learned from it and there are a few good tips in there I think. It should help you all out some and maybe give you some ideas too and save you all some time. Let me know what you come up with too. I've pretty much have read everything that's out there on this. Really not too much and it seems Kevin Ryan is pretty much keeping his technic under hat. Most of the stuff that is out there is with the binding and the bevel being the same wood and not about binding around the bevel. The one thing is to try and design the return of the bevel binding to the top edge as slight or smooth of an angle as you can so that you won't need to use SSII. I also probably went with 3/16" instead of 1/4" high binding. I also think that making a side routing bevel template and a top purf routing template would be nice if you have the time. And to then route the purf top channel and binding channel first and carve the bevel to the channels might be a good way to go too. That might be my next attack at it. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks for the tutorial Chris. I hope you continue this and put up a video or 2 about how you put the binding around the bevel on the top and side or the back and side.
Chuck