Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Focus: Build
Now that the book has been out for a few months I would love to read a review by anyone who has read both the books.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: wes
Last Name: Lewis
City: Garland
State: Tx.
Zip/Postal Code: 75044
Books are outstanding, worth every penny, you don't just read but study these books. The material in the design book covers the science behind guitar acoustics and is fully supported by some intense math!!!! It will wear brain out!!!!! I have just started my first falcate braced guitar and I am very excited. I have used his compensation techniques on one build with fantastic result.

Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks wes.It seems to be a unanimous consensus.My brain is already overloaded, Guess reading the book won/t do too much damage I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jason
Last Name: McGowan
City: Corinth
State: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 76210
weslewis wrote:
Books are outstanding, worth every penny, you don't just read but study these books. The material in the design book covers the science behind guitar acoustics and is fully supported by some intense math!!!! It will wear brain out!!!!! I have just started my first falcate braced guitar and I am very excited. I have used his compensation techniques on one build with fantastic result.

Highly recommended!

This is my take on it as well. I've gotten about 20% through the design book, and although it is sometimes WAY over my head, its information is invaluable. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to completely glean all of the good info from this book, but I surely intend to try. Highly recommended for novice and expert alike.

United States of America, looks like another silent night
As we're sung to sleep by philosophies that save the trees and kill the children....

Casting Crowns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Just got the set for Christmas and I've started into the design book. So far I'm appreciating the mixture of common sense and technical depth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Good books, and worth the price. I might have a few minor quibbles, but that's normal in any field where the knowlege base is expanding. It's hard to find any major issues. I was amazed at how quickly my copies arrived after I ordered them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've had the books for about 6 months and just spent this last weekend at a 3 day workshop with Trevor Gore.

The book is revolutionary, a lot of really solid technical stuff which takes a while to assimilate. but also the means to apply the techniques without too much theory.

As far as build techniques, Trevor presents full plans and methods for 4 models, a J45, Fleta,Lattice classical, and his own Falcate bracing.

Quality production amd pictures, do yourseld a favour.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: David
Last Name: Malicky
City: San Diego
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92111
I just got mine, as well, and have read about a third of both. +1 on above comments. Fast shipping, worth the price, carefully written and proofed, great technical depth and breadth -- but there are also clear and concise non-technical summaries at the end of each section, so you don't have to read the math to get the point. My only reservation so far is that some pics seem a little small, but that's truly minor. There are also full plans just inside the back cover of the Build volume... found those today. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
I agree with everything said so far.....

Honestly - I think the Design book is answering a zillion questions I had, and even helping me make sense of some of the stuff in Somogyi's book a little better (probably because I am an engineer...)

The Build book is a good book with tons of good stuff in it - but it's more Pro-Luthier scale oriented... I still believe that I would point someone to Cumpiano's book for a 1st building instruction manual... as it's not quite as jig and expensive tools oriented... For example - in the required tools list is a 14" bandsaw, a floor standing drill press, and an oscillating drum sander... with the "Additional tools that are nice to have" also includes a 20" bandsaw for resawing plates...

I would not point someone to these books as their 1st build reference (Neither would I point them towards Somogyi's).... BUT... I think that it's immensely useful within 5-15 builds... especially if your more "Nerd" oriented like Me....

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Ed
truckjohn wrote:

The Build book is a good book with tons of good stuff in it - but it's more Pro-Luthier scale oriented... I still believe that I would point someone to Cumpiano's book for a 1st building instruction manual... as it's not quite as jig and expensive tools oriented... For example - in the required tools list is a 14" bandsaw, a floor standing drill press, and an oscillating drum sander... with the "Additional tools that are nice to have" also includes a 20" bandsaw for resawing plates...

The 14" bandsaw.
What is the 14" referring to :?:

Thanks, Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
14" is the diameter of the wheels in a bandsaw - It's how they size bandsaws....
Likely, the confusion is that you guys over in the UK don't use your British imperial system much anymore beehive We still like it over here, though....

It's called a 355mm bandsaw in your neck 'O the woods....

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm afraid I don't know the books in question. Can someone give the complete title and author info so I can look them up?

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Trevor Gore Guitars is where I ordered mine from.

As we're sung to sleep by philosophies that save the trees and kill the children....

Casting Crowns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Ed
truckjohn wrote:
14" is the diameter of the wheels in a bandsaw - It's how they size bandsaws....
Likely, the confusion is that you guys over in the UK don't use your British imperial system much anymore beehive We still like it over here, though....

It's called a 355mm bandsaw in your neck 'O the woods....

Thanks

Cheers bud,
knowledge is power. :geek:

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I e- mailed trev 2 days ago abt which courier service he uses dsl, fed ex ups??? Does anyone remember which one deliverd their book thanks ernie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

ernie wrote:
I e- mailed trev 2 days ago abt which courier service he uses dsl, fed ex ups??? Does anyone remember which one deliverd their book thanks ernie

TNT Consignment. Not sure if that was the carrier or not, but it arrived in a reasonable amount of time.

Casting Crowns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Miguel
Last Name: Bernardo
mine was delivered (to portugal) by TNT (http://www.tnt.com/portal/location/en.html). good book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

oh, IIRC it took 1 1/2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
ernie wrote:

Ernie, I replied about 40mins after you sent your email: TNT. My reply might have been nailed by your spam filter...it hasn't "bounced".

Delivery to the USA varies a bit. As quick as 3 days and occasionally as much as 10. The 17 hour time difference means you might catch a weekend before I can despatch.

Cheers, Trevor.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
A fantastic book, definately a level up from anything I have read or heard of.
Answered all the questions I wanted answered, and the other 99% I didn't even know I wanted to ask.
With my hand on my heart, I can't say I completely followed the Maths theory in the Design volume. I just don't have the level of Maths.
But, the section summaries and three re-reads of Design volume were a great help to get my head round what was was being described (just don't ask me to explain it yet!) and I have been able to write the resulting spreadsheets for the practical stuff.
Second, Build volume contains lots of info, some novel jigging and tooling ideas (to me and probably others) I was impressed by several of the construction methods, even after several other books as reference material.
Not aimed at the complete beginner, but very useful to anyone serious about making guitars.
I would still recommend Kinkade to a complete novice, but after 4 builds, working on 5th, this was just what I needed.
Enough info here to launch many years of designing and building.
Very well written. Clear, concise, inscisive look at modern guitar making.
Well worth the money, even without 4 full size plans.
Thanks for taking the trouble to write it Trevor, it's appreciated.
Delivery to UK was very fast, 3/4 working days I think..

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

mqbernardo wrote:
oh, IIRC it took 1 1/2 weeks.
now that i think of it, it took that long because it was retained in customs for several days before i could pick it up... go customs!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:36 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Shawn
Last Name: Smith
City: Indianapolis
State: IN
truckjohn wrote:
For example - in the required tools list is a 14" bandsaw, a floor standing drill press, and an oscillating drum sander... with the "Additional tools that are nice to have" also includes a 20" bandsaw for resawing plates...

author probably figured anyone willing to shell out $250 for a couple of books has plenty of cash to spend on tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: wes
Last Name: Lewis
City: Garland
State: Tx.
Zip/Postal Code: 75044
sksmith66 wrote:
truckjohn wrote:
For example - in the required tools list is a 14" bandsaw, a floor standing drill press, and an oscillating drum sander... with the "Additional tools that are nice to have" also includes a 20" bandsaw for resawing plates...

author probably figured anyone willing to shell out $250 for a couple of books has plenty of cash to spend on tools.

That's not an accurate statement. These books are aimed at builders that have some experience building and is assumed that some tools are necessary to accurately execute the design ideas I do this only as a hobby but have 10 builds under my belt. I would also add that a thickness sander is indespensible along with a quality tablesaw. 250 for this level of knowledge is inexpensive IMHO !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Trev for the reply.The accolades just keep on coming.Will order the book this weekend.Thanks to all those who chimed in. cheers ernie ps will check my spam.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

weslewis wrote:
"That's not an accurate statement. These books are aimed at builders that have some experience building and is assumed that some tools are necessary to accurately execute the design ideas I do this only as a hobby but have 10 builds under my belt. I would also add that a thickness sander is indespensible along with a quality tablesaw."

I have neither a table saw nor a thickness sander. I've been building for about forty years, and have around 400 instruments of all sorts out there. I'd say they're not 'indispensible'; nice, maybe, but not stricly needed. I'm always reminded of the lutherie school grad who came by the shop for some help in getting the peeling bridge up from his top. He looked around, and asked:"How do you make guitars without a drum sander?". I asked him how Torres did it.