Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Focus: Build
Camping? Somehow, I didn't think "Campy" was a way to describe a guitar.... laughing6-hehe

You can see why I wanted to use that wood so bad... I grew up climbing in those type of trees - Everyone said they were trash... Not really even good for burning... but then you try working the stuff and it's great!

Some important developments since the last post.... I finally got up off my rear end and built a Go-bar deck... You can build a pretty nice go bar deck for $30.00.... 4 3' pieces of allthread for $4.00 each. About $8.00 in nuts and washers, and another $10 in plywood and there you go.
Attachment:
Aus Pine 60.JPG

I also got all the fixings together for the Epoxy/CF bracing work... That really pushes you to have everything 100% completely prepped BEFORE you mix... The Clock is Ticking!

At first - I tried to use the fiberglass "Electric fence posts"... but they were *WAY* too stiff... Could hardly bend them... So I sawed up some 2x4 scrap wood I had laying around for SPF and Cedar GO Bars... and I like those a lot better... WAY easier to get the right amount of flex vs the Fiberglass models....

So - here's some shots... Didn't get any of me laying the tow layers - as the clock is ticking once you stir up the mix... You can see an in-process and a finished pic.

Attachment:
Aus Pine 63.JPG

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So.. What do you guys think of the bracing scheme?

Got some time to work on the back bracing too - Here it is in the go bar deck.
Attachment:
Aus Pine 64.JPG

Here's a pic of the bracing without any brace shaping.
Attachment:
Aus Pine 65.JPG

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Hill
City: Wesley Chapel
State: Fl.
Zip/Postal Code: 33543
Focus: Repair
Hi John,
Great looking rosette,it sucks having to trash the first top. The top bracing pattern you are useing is that known as a Double X patern?

My wife asks me "How many Guitars do you need?"
I reply "When I die count them; thats how many I needed".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Gore
City: Sydney
Joe Hill wrote:
The top bracing pattern you are useing is that known as a Double X patern?

Similar to a "Double X", but more correctly called a sparse lattice.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I am not really sure what the difference is between a plain, old, boring, crusty "Double X" and a New, Shiny "Sparse Lattice"... It certainly sounds more official.. and isn't associated with certain Famous Maker's "Double X Braced" guitars that always seemed to have less Tone and Mojo than the average set of Kitchen cabinets... so I might tell people that it is built with a "Sparse Lattice!"... Unless of course it plays like a Kitchen Cabinet... Then - I might go with "Double X"....

One thing that surprised me a bit is how long it takes for the epoxy to cure out.... That 1st or 2nd day after it "Cured" - it taps about like wet cardboard... but a bit less lively.... Then - as you progress through that 1st week - the tap tone starts stiffening up, until it sounds somewhere in the range of "About right" maybe 2 weeks later....

Of course, the Epoxy Manual tells you stuff like this ... but it is something you have to experience when you are used to "Real Glue"....

Anyway - unfortunately, there haven't been many Status Updates.... I planted out 14 fruit/nut trees this spring.. 3 jujubes, 3 Hazelnuts, 3 peaches, 1 persimmon, 1 apricot, 1 plum, and 2 pecans. Transplanted another plum,.. as well as laying down the first 6 yards of mulch, pruning and spraying the fruit trees, and hacking back the inimicable weeds they call "Butterfly Bushes"... They are only slightly less Invasive than Kudzu (or perhaps Cane toads for you Aussies who don't have Kudzu..)... and got started on the Tomatoes.

I need to take some pix of that stuff.. At least it's fun to look at.... At least there's the potential for the Persimmon will give me some useful wood in 40 years...

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2