Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: newbie uker
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: joseph
Last Name: sallis
City: newcastle-upon-tyne
State: tyne and wear
Zip/Postal Code: ne46xe
Focus: Build
Hi Everyone.
I've never been in this part of the forum before but I'm now building a tenor uke for a friend and have several questions. I apologize if these questions have been asked many times before but would really appreciate some short answers.

1. I've downloaded plans (14th fret to body, Tenor) from Ultimate Guitar Online. Anyone used these? Are there any improvements people have made?
2. The plans are obviously lacking because I can't find the answer to the next questions: what is the neck angle on a uke? Like a guitar should the line of neck plus fret board and frets just kiss the top of bridge?
3. Is the bridge moved back for compensation? By how much?
4. Does anyone shoten the fretboard for nut compensation? How much?
5. Is the finger board flat or radiused?
6. I've read about Tony from NYC's method of punching the Uke in the face. How much force should I use for this? Does anyone have any equations for how the force of punch affects monopole mobility?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: newbie uker
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Joe Sallis wrote:
Hi Everyone.
I've never been in this part of the forum before but I'm now building a tenor uke for a friend and have several questions. I apologize if these questions have been asked many times before but would really appreciate some short answers.

1. I've downloaded plans (14th fret to body, Tenor) from Ultimate Guitar Online. Anyone used these? Are there any improvements people have made?
2. The plans are obviously lacking because I can't find the answer to the next questions: what is the neck angle on a uke? Like a guitar should the line of neck plus fret board and frets just kiss the top of bridge?
6. I've read about Tony from NYC's method of punching the Uke in the face. How much force should I use for this? Does anyone have any equations for how the force of punch affects monopole mobility?

Thanks in advance!

I think I can help with some of these questions:
1. I have not used them. Sorry. Can't help you with this one. I'm not off to a good start.
2. Yes. There is a neck angle. I don't recall what mine worked out to, but you want the same "kiss the bridge" type of set up as a guitar.
3. On a tenor, the scale length is so short, Compensation is not really needed, but if it makes you more comfortable, you can add some. Like a really small amount.
4.No, so shorten it by zero inches, or zero mm, whichever unit you are more comfortable with.
5. Mine was flat, but some folks might prefer a radius. Flat worked well for my concert uke.
6. You are my hero. I think we all know that Force= mass x acceleration due to gravity, right? I mean, that's basic kindergarten physics, right? Anyway, what worked for me was to use about half of my weight. I am 180lbs, or to put it in your terms, 81.6466 kg. Thus, 90lbs, or 40.8233kg was applied to the soundboard. This works out, using our kindergarten formula above, to 40.8233kg x 9.80665 m/s2(obviously, everyone knows that this is the standard acceleration due to gravity) = 400.33981newtons. There you have it. 400.33981N applied to the face will completely remove the monopole, dipole, and cross dipole frequencies. A new face will restore them, though not to exactly their original values.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Robert
Last Name: Renick
City: Mount Shasta
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 96067
Joe,
I have only done 1 tenor from the Hana lima plans, but no neck angle, yes compensate saddle, yes you can compensate nut, flat is common, but radius has been gaining popularity.
This will be helpful from David Hurd:
http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/compensate.html

http://www.facebook.com/robert.renick.7

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Joe Sallis wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Thanks in advance!

I've made a few tenor ukes so here's my input....
1. Never used them. I like the Hana Lima plans
2. I do about 1 to 1.5 degree neck angle. (can't really measure it that accurately)
3. Yes. I use the calculator at Stew Mac to get the compensation. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Frettin ... tcalc.html
4. Nope I don't do that on guitars either
5. Mine are flat. Most ukes are flat but radius fingerboards are becoming more "in"
6. HUH??

I recommend the Ukulele Underground forum for more info. Lots of more fanatical builders on there

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
I'm doing my first uke right now and making it up as I go, so I won't be able to help you from any foundation of experience. I will say that I am disappointed in our resident uke face punching expert (Tony). His response was incomplete and his physics mis-applied.

First he neglected to point out that his numbers were based on a hardwood top and that, if you are using a softwood top, you should decrease your final force applied by a factor of negative eleventeen percent. I know it has been a long time since Tony has been in kindergarten (though it was, by all accounts, 5 of the best years of his life) but that does not excuse his confusion on basic kindergarten physics. He is calculating force based on the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second per second) but I know for a fact that he did not drop his fist along with half of his body weight in a free fall. Further, he doesn't provide the time his fist would have been falling. . . I have seen him in lederhosen, I think 180 pounds is a conservative number anyway. All of this is to say that I'm pretty sure he made up the math and actually struck his top with the weight of 400.33981 FIG Newtons.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

6. This is good stuff!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
I literally laughed out loud at Bryan's post. llol

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
What Ernie said except I use 15 foot radius front and back.

Bob :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
I do my tops flat and the backs with 15' radius.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: joseph
Last Name: sallis
City: newcastle-upon-tyne
State: tyne and wear
Zip/Postal Code: ne46xe
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I now have all the information I need for my new book, "Building the Subservient Uke, Feary and Mis-practise", retailing at $200,000.
So, neck angle to fit bridge, check out Stew Mac for saddle compensation, sod nut compensation, flat finger board and when the laquer is dry get out the Mike Tyson jig for a right hand hook to it's chops to teach the little blighter who is the master.
I'll post some pics when finished.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Robert
Last Name: Renick
City: Mount Shasta
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 96067
Joe,
Neck angle is really a function of the dome or shape of the top, then fit the bridge. If the FB is to lie on the upper bout the way most guitars and ukes are built, then that determines the angle. If you were using an elevated FB like an archtop instrument, then aim toward your desired bridge height. The Stew mac calculator is only dialed in for high G tuning, info for low G is not part of the calculator, too bad for me since that is what I am working on.

http://www.facebook.com/robert.renick.7

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
Here's a cookbook approach that avoids the principles of physics that others would bring to bear. Unfortunately, I do not have a calibrated fist, so I am forced to do things the hard way.

The neck angle is 90 degrees. The top rim is first sanded flat. Then put the top rim in a 25' radius dish and radius the rim, but only from about the bottom of the sound hole to the bottom end of the body. In other words, the upper bout stays flat and 90 degrees to the heel and the lower bout gets radiused. Don't worry about a gradual transition from flat to radius as it doesn't matter. Seen in profile, the sides slope down a bit from the sound hole to the end of the body. For the top, make the brace above the sound hole flat and the brace below radiused, as are the tone bars.

The fret board then lies flat on the upper bout all the way to the sound hole and the saddle height ends up at about .40". Works every time for me. If it doesn't work for you, whack it with your fist until things look right.