Official Luthiers Forum!

Solely owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:18 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm
Posts: 51
First name: Mick
Last Name: Oliveira
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Country: Canada
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
After many, many months of hard work I have finally completed my first build. I made many mistakes along the way including sanding through my finish coat of Nitro but I learned a lot in the process.

I built this guitar with the assistance of a local guitar builder who guided me through the entire process. I can honestly say that with the exception of the nitro spraying (I did insist on doing at least one coat myself) I did most of the work myself including all of the body and headstock binding.

Specifications:

Body Style: OM with a Cutaway and Sideport
Backs and Sides: East Indian Rosewood
Top: Bear Claw Sitka
Fretboard and Bridge: Striped Ebony
Neck: African Mahogany
Headstock Plate: Ebony
Truss Rod Cover and Heel Cover - Brazilian Rosewood
Body, Neck, and Headstock Binding: Curly maple
Purfling: BWB, East Indian Rosewood (top and back)
Neck and Body Back Strip: East Indian Rosewood

This being my first guitar, I wasn't sure how it was going to sound but was pleasantly surprised by how well balanced the sound is across all the strings.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:01 pm
Posts: 3031
First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Great, great job! It looks fantastic! Definitely a keeper!

_________________
http://www.CostaGuitars.com
PMoMC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline
Koa
Koa
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 1364
Location: Raleigh, NC
First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Wow! That's quite a first effort... [clap]

_________________
Steve Sollod (pronounced sorta like "Solid")
www.swiftcreekguitars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 am
Posts: 768
First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Blackburn
State: Lancashire
Country: Uk
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Wow that's incredible!! I love the cutaway

_________________
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:24 am 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 am
Posts: 102
Location: Norfolk (UK)
Are you going to add this to the Judging thread? we could do with a few more in the 1st build category, as only two of us seem to have finished so far.

_________________
Nick

Follow my musings on getting started in luthiery http://www.tredwellinstruments.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am 
Offline
Koa
Koa

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 am
Posts: 1355
First name: Corky
Last Name: Long
City: Mount Kisco
State: NY
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Wow - that's really nice work, for any build, let a lone a first build. Great job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm
Posts: 51
First name: Mick
Last Name: Oliveira
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Country: Canada
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
ntredwell wrote:
Are you going to add this to the Judging thread? we could do with a few more in the 1st build category, as only two of us seem to have finished so far.


I have decided not to enter this first guitar in the judged thread because I did not do all of the Nitro spraying myself. I did the first coat but someone else did the remaining coats. I was informed that all of the work has to have been done on my own in order to enter it in the judged thread.

I just hope that all of those entering the judged thread have in fact done 100% of the hands on work on their own. It's only fair.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 3335
First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Country: Canada
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
I'd bet that you're an honest golfer as well, Mick! Well done!

Alex

_________________
"Indecision is the key to flexibility" .... Bumper sticker


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 am
Posts: 102
Location: Norfolk (UK)
Fair enough, good on you for being honest. But to me everyone who has completed their first build should be a winner, how many people can say they have built a guitar, especially one as fine as yours. Well done

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 4

_________________
Nick

Follow my musings on getting started in luthiery http://www.tredwellinstruments.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4237
First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Country: usa
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Olivewood wrote:
ntredwell wrote:
Are you going to add this to the Judging thread? we could do with a few more in the 1st build category, as only two of us seem to have finished so far.


I have decided not to enter this first guitar in the judged thread because I did not do all of the Nitro spraying myself. I did the first coat but someone else did the remaining coats. I was informed that all of the work has to have been done on my own in order to enter it in the judged thread.

I just hope that all of those entering the judged thread have in fact done 100% of the hands on work on their own. It's only fair.

This is Exactly the reason for Rule #9 And A Perfect Example of its application .

Thank you again for your honesty and integrity . For those of you who may wonder , I did tell him if he wished to post it and let everyone Know the situation he could . The fact he chose to go this route makes Him a winner in my book [:Y:] [clap]

_________________
The Shallower the depth of the stream , The Louder the Babble !
The Taking Of Offense Is the Life Course Of The Stupid One !
Wanna Leave a Better Planet for our Kids? How about Working on BETTER KIDS for our Planet !
Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 1388
First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
WudWerkr wrote:
Olivewood wrote:
ntredwell wrote:
Are you going to add this to the Judging thread? we could do with a few more in the 1st build category, as only two of us seem to have finished so far.


I have decided not to enter this first guitar in the judged thread because I did not do all of the Nitro spraying myself. I did the first coat but someone else did the remaining coats. I was informed that all of the work has to have been done on my own in order to enter it in the judged thread.

I just hope that all of those entering the judged thread have in fact done 100% of the hands on work on their own. It's only fair.

This is Exactly the reason for Rule #9 And A Perfect Example of its application .

Thank you again for your honesty and integrity . For those of you who may wonder , I did tell him if he wished to post it and let everyone Know the situation he could . The fact he chose to go this route makes Him a winner in my book [:Y:] [clap]



I concur


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB customization services by 2by2host.com