PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Doug
Last Name: Balzer
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
Focus: Build
So I finally built what I should have long ago. This unit micro-adjusts very easily with just the turn of a screw, mounts onto my sander with no clamps (friction fit), and will be brilliant for profiling bridge ramps and braces not to mention thinning small stock. Gotta love shop scraps!Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't let fear or common sense stop you from trying to build something

These users thanked the author Doug Balzer for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Great idea, Doug!

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
I think it's great, too. I think your adjustment screw behind the fence is a particularly good idea--allowing for precise adjustments. Frankly, that might not have occurred to me. (Sadly, there are SOOOOO many things that never occur to me until someone else shows them to me. Oh well...) But even that could vibrate and wander off-setting in use. Do you clamp the end nearest the sanding drum? Beyond some means of fixing it at any dialed-in setting, I can't think of a way to improve this jig.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Doug
Last Name: Balzer
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
cphanna wrote:
I think it's great, too. I think your adjustment screw behind the fence is a particularly good idea--allowing for precise adjustments. Frankly, that might not have occurred to me. (Sadly, there are SOOOOO many things that never occur to me until someone else shows them to me. Oh well...) But even that could vibrate and wander off-setting in use. Do you clamp the end nearest the sanding drum? Beyond some means of fixing it at any dialed-in setting, I can't think of a way to improve this jig.

The fence is bolted down quite heavily which requires some moderate force to turning the screw...I don't think it will wander with use.

Don't let fear or common sense stop you from trying to build something

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
That's a great jig idea! I'm for sure going to copy this. I have the commercial version that goes in your drill press, and it is very useful, but there are two big downsides to using the drill press. First, the spindle does not oscillate, which can lead to sanding scratches that don't go away easily, as well as prematurely worn sanding sleeves. Second, the drive mechanism is really in the way for some tasks. This jig solves both of those problems. Well done!

I do have two suggestions for the jig:

1. That particular spindle sander has a miter slot. You could install a slot runner in the bottom of the jig and this would help it not move around on you. Better yet, use one of those nifty slot runners that expands its width via an access hole through the top of the jig. It will really stay put.

2. The commercial version has two anchor bolts for the fence, one just like this, but the other on top of a curved slot so you can adjust the fence. A quick pass with a router on a circle cutter can make that slot in this jig in a jiffy; the first hole can be the rotation point. Flip the jig over, use a larger router bit to cut a trench for the nut that lives underneath.

I'm looking forward to building one!

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Awesome, think I'll make something similar.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tim
Last Name: Benware
City: Creedmoor
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27522
doncaparker wrote:
That's a great jig idea! I'm for sure going to copy this. I have the commercial version that goes in your drill press, and it is very useful, but there are two big downsides to using the drill press. First, the spindle does not oscillate, which can lead to sanding scratches that don't go away easily, as well as prematurely worn sanding sleeves. Second, the drive mechanism is really in the way for some tasks. This jig solves both of those problems. Well done!

I do have two suggestions for the jig:

1. That particular spindle sander has a miter slot. You could install a slot runner in the bottom of the jig and this would help it not move around on you. Better yet, use one of those nifty slot runners that expands its width via an access hole through the top of the jig. It will really stay put.

2. The commercial version has two anchor bolts for the fence, one just like this, but the other on top of a curved slot so you can adjust the fence. A quick pass with a router on a circle cutter can make that slot in this jig in a jiffy; the first hole can be the rotation point. Flip the jig over, use a larger router bit to cut a trench for the nut that lives underneath.

I'm looking forward to building one!

I use my Luthier's Friend on my spindle sander.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
I have been trying to think up something like this for a while Doug. Great job. I will definitely be setting this up.

Bob