Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I'm getting close Hans, I need to level the frets and get the fret board all cleaned up then I can put on the hardware and string it up. It goes to it's new home this coming weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
FWIW I find Royal Lac doesn't need to be polished with abrasives. It is shellac after all. Once leveled it can be French Polished to a very high shine with a well conditioned rubber and a little alcohol. On a something as small as a mandolin I think it could be done in less than 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

rlrhett wrote:
FWIW I find Royal Lac doesn't need to be polished with abrasives. It is shellac after all. Once leveled it can be French Polished to a very high shine with a well conditioned rubber and a little alcohol. On a something as small as a mandolin I think it could be done in less than 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I sprayed the finish I simply treated it like I would anything else. I thought Royal Lac was pretty much impervious to alcohol after a few weeks. I would certainly be nice not to have to polish with abrasives; I'll have to try that on some scrap. Are you letting the RL cure before you do that? And can you tell me what you consider to be a "well conditioned rubber"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
I let it rest for one week. Didn't think about the resins Vijay adds making it impervious to alcohol. Perhaps if I had waited a month it would have been a problem.

A "well conditioned" rubber, in my mind, is a rubber that has been used already to apply shellac. The wadding won't be as absorbent than a newly made rubber. It should have been rinsed out with alcohol to remove most of the shellac and allowed to dry. I suspect that the used rubber also has a slight "polish" for lack of a better word on the outer layers of cloth.

I know I've told this story on the forum before, and Vijay will probably laugh to see it retold again. I live near Vijay of shellac finishes and went to his place to pick up a couple of jars. I told him I was following the discussion on spraying and would like to spray Royal Lac. He said I absolutely could if I wanted to... but why not just French Polish? I explained to him that it was too much work, too hard to do, etc.,. He just shrugged and gave me a knowing look.

After fighting with the spraying (no fault of Royal Lac) I finally said, "Oh, forget it!" (or something along those lines :lol: ) I decided to just do the French Polish.

Oh.... My... God.... Why had I been avoiding it? No loud compressor, no make shift spray booth, no discovering orange peel or fish eye or runs or drips the next day and hours of sanding, no weird bugs or dust in the finish. A day of picking the guitar up, rubbing on shellac while I listen to the radio, setting it aside for an hour or two, doing some more, drinking a beer, etc. Quick (and probably totally unnecessary) wet sand in the morning with 400P paper. Repeat. Week later I spirited off the guitar on the kitchen table while my daughter watched Frozen for the Nth time.

No runs, no fish eye, and a gloss to match any I've gotten from nitro or waterborne stuff. I don't have a guitar that has been heavily gigged for a decade to test the durability, but after about a year of regular playing the guitar looks as good as the day it finished it. This may not be practical to those shops building 30+ guitars a month, but for me it is just what the doctor ordered. The only way I'm going back to spraying is if someone invents a finish that you can spray on and it will level and polish itself to a piano finish!

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: SteveSmith (Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 am)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

rlrhett - thanks for the informative response. I have never tried to french polish and I'm not sure how to go about it but after reading your response I'm going to look into it and give it a try. I have no problem spraying but I have a small booth and some commercial experience. I think it would be pretty cool to just sit and listen to the radio while polishing the guitar - assuming my creaky shoulder joints can handle it idunno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It's All done. Curly Maple and spruce with Mad Rose binding and ebony appointments. Finish is Royal Lac (sprayed on). Did the set up as advised by Hans (and others) E at 3/64", G at 4/64" and no relief. Delivered it this morning and the new owner was really happy with it bliss

I don't play mandolin so I've asked the new owner for a sound clip. I'll post one when I get it.

Here's some photos:

Attachment:
IMG_1845.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_1844.JPG

Ebony headplate with ebony and maple truss rod cover. Truss rod cover uses small magnets to hold it in place.
Attachment:
IMG_1846.JPG

Ebony Backstrap. Tuners are Grovers.
Attachment:
IMG_1834.JPG

Neckjoint is a dovetail. Binding is Mad Rose.
Attachment:
IMG_1830.JPG

Ebony pickguard
Attachment:
IMG_1831.JPG

Pickguard support Mad Rose and maple
Attachment:
IMG_1838.JPG

Buttjoint. Tailpiece is from StewMac.
Attachment:
IMG_1840.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Steve

Lovely aesthetic, and very well done. How do you feel the finish will hold up - it looks great! Did you invent the supports for the pick guard or is that a common technique?

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:32 am)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

It is a very nicely done instrument.

Mundane question: how did you get the truss rod cover so nicely smoothed?

These users thanked the author Ken McKay for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:32 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Nice one

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:32 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Ed, the finish is harder than the waterbornes that I have tried and, while working it, feels about the same as nitro to me. Time will tell. The pickguard support is a common technique. I purchased one from StewMac (http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Mandolin/Mounting_Bracket_for_Mandolin_Pickguard.html ) but didn't like the look of the plastic pieces so I kept the metal hardware and made the other pieces from wood.
Attachment:
IMG_2198.JPG

Ken, the truss rod cover is laminated ebony/maple. I just copied the standard Gibson shape. The truss rod cover is finished like the rest of the instrument in Royal Lac and was leveled, wet sanded to 6000 then hand buffed. Rare earth magnets in the cover and in the headplate are used to hold it on. It is easily removed by sliding it sideways.
Attachment:
IMG_2183.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2184.JPG

Hey Greg - I wish the timing had worked out better on this one so I could have brought it by to show you in person. Time for you to build one now :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice Steve!
Got the bug?

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:34 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
I think it's excellent. Thanks for the "buffed and fluffed" pics at the end. That finish worked out beautifully!

These users thanked the author cphanna for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:34 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Haans wrote:
Nice Steve!
Got the bug?

Thanks Hans, I sure do want to build another one, an F5 I'm thinking - just for the extra challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pete
Last Name: Dolan
City: Maryville
Zip/Postal Code: 37804
Steve. Your mandolin is gorgeous. Thanks for posting the process.

These users thanked the author pdolan for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:59 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I love it!
Thanks very much for posting the build process.
Really great work Steve!
Dan

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:59 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hey Pete, was that your sweet pair of 12-fret slot head 00's that I saw in our luthier meeting today? If so they are really nice. Great job - I like the torch inlays and they both sound great!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A bit surprised to see this thread has 70,000+ hits. If anyone reads this far please share why you were looking. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Matt
Last Name: Bouchie
City: Manchester
State: New Hampshire
SteveSmith wrote:
A bit surprised to see this thread has 70,000+ hits. If anyone reads this far please share why you were looking. Thanks.

Because there was a new post in it! :lol:

Matt

These users thanked the author Matt Bouchie for the post: SteveSmith (Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:14 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:55 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jean
City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 15210
SteveSmith wrote:

I’ve assembled 3 mandolin kits and am getting ready to build one from “scratch”. This thread is instructive and is helping me plan my project.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I was curious, thanks for letting me know. I hope it's helpful for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8