Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
This thread is dedicated to things that folks should not do with their guitars....

Please post pics of things that you see that are not a good idea.

Thanks! ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Clinchriver (Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
I've always heard people say "put graphite in the nut slots" so the first one seems like a pretty good idea. The second one is frankly pure genius. I now understand why the "ball" end of strings are really "hoops".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
As long as the pencil is "vintage", say pre 1960's, it should work fine. Pencil wood was much harder then. It also accommodates theory of nut compensation.

These users thanked the author Pegasusguitars for the post: Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I personally think those are fine, but I do have to draw the line at bailing wire and chewing gum..... well maybe not if it is a good juicy fruit...

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Gil
Last Name: Draper
City: Knoxville
State: Tennessee
Attachment:
IMG_6557 (Small).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Goodin for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am) • Michaeldc (Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
No pics, but I have heard it is a really bad idea to get cat pee inside your guitar. The smell never, ever comes out (or so I have heard).

I'm not sure about other kinds of pee, but I will take a leak of faith (see what I did there?) and say that avoiding all types of pee inside the guitar is a good idea.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I should have taken more pictures in my career..... I remember 2 guys who brought in a Peavey T-60 with the strings absolutely filthy, and soldered together in about a dozen places. And a guy who brought in a Warwick bass, someone tried to fix the broken peghead with a hot glue gun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Gil
Last Name: Draper
City: Knoxville
State: Tennessee
Also should mention more about the guitar with the bridge pic above. Someone used finishing nails as an attempted to repair where the top had come loose from the sides. They countersank the nails and filled over them with wood filler. Also, someone used what looked like chewing gum to repair a hole in the side.

These users thanked the author Goodin for the post: Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Cal
Last Name: Maier
City: Crossfield
State: AB
I don't have any pics but, back in the late 70's an older gent brought his old J 200 guitar in to have the fret edges filed smooth as he kept cutting his fingers when he played.
The guitar had all the frets from the fourth on up missing and the first three frets had Been ground flat and bicycle spokes were then soldered to the tops of the frets :D
He never played above the first position and as the first three frets would wear out he would pull the higher frets out to replace them, when he ran out of frets he cut up some bicycle spokes and you can guess the rest.
These could possibly have been the very first stainless steel frets, anyway I convinced him to let me refret the guitar and then he would have a complete set of new frets to be able to use up for the next 30 or so years. He agreed that that was the best solution laughing6-hehe , but he did mention that the spokes had been on the longest and didn't show any signs of wearing out wow7-eyes
Cheers,
Cal

These users thanked the author Cal Maier for the post (total 2): simple (Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm) • Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
This is generally frowned upon.

Attachment:
WIN_20160429_102656 - Copy.JPG

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post (total 2): dpetrzelka (Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm) • Hesh (Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am 

David someone missed that Anthem install by this... much....;)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: david farmer (Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am 
Koa
Koa

Here I learned, for those willing to make a real commitment to pickup selection, a rattle in a togle switch can be eliminated by simply forcing hot helt glue into it! Boom! done! :)

Attachment:
WIN_20170405_09_54_10_Pro - Copy.jpg

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Hesh (Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

my all time fave ....

These users thanked the author TonyKarol for the post (total 2): SteveCourtright (Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am) • Hesh (Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:39 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
TonyKarol wrote:
my all time fave ....

And ----it's adjustable!,
Mike

These users thanked the author Imbler for the post: Hesh (Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Lincoln
Last Name: Goertzen
City: Fort St John
State: BC
TonyKarol wrote:
my all time fave ....

...And my all time favorite caption: "Tonebuckles". Man, I wish I'd thought of that.

These users thanked the author Lincoln Goertzen for the post (total 2): Hesh (Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 pm) • Imbler (Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

david farmer wrote:
Here I learned, for those willing to make a real commitment to pickup selection, a rattle in a togle switch can be eliminated by simply forcing hot helt glue into it! Boom! done! :)

Attachment:
WIN_20170405_09_54_10_Pro - Copy.jpg

That's just brilliant!
Once at my place of work they went through and filled computer usb ports with JB-Weld. Not kidding!

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post (total 2): david farmer (Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm) • Hesh (Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 am 
Koa
Koa

This mornings Question: What's the most reversible adhesive to keep the top on your bass?

OLF Tub-o-lard?

Answer: Gaffer's tape! (keeps you gigging [:Y:] )

Attachment:
008 - Copy.JPG

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tom
Last Name: Rein
City: Saline
A shockingly bad scribe around a bridge for finish removal from a not-inexpensive US classical maker. Needless to say, the bridge popped off. I'd expect this on a sub-300 dollar guitar, but not from a multi-thousand dollar guitar.

These users thanked the author TRein for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am 
Koa
Koa

TRein wrote:
A shockingly bad scribe around a bridge for finish removal from a not-inexpensive US classical maker. Needless to say, the bridge popped off. I'd expect this on a sub-300 dollar guitar, but not from a multi-thousand dollar guitar.

beehive

Look's Cedarish? beehive

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tom
Last Name: Rein
City: Saline
Yep, cedar.

These users thanked the author TRein for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
WOW! I just had a student ask me if binding was really necessary. Now I know what to say: Absolutely NOT! Duct Tape is all you need.

david farmer wrote:
This mornings Question: What's the most reversible adhesive to keep the top on your bass?

OLF Tub-o-lard?

Attachment:
008 - Copy.JPG

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 pm 

rlrhett wrote:
WOW! I just had a student ask me if binding was really necessary. Now I know what to say: Absolutely NOT! Duct Tape is all you need.

david farmer wrote:

OLF Tub-o-lard?

Attachment:
008 - Copy.JPG

Vintage, rotten 20 year old duct tape that the adhesive is dripping from the roll tends to sound better......;)

Not to be a troll.... but Dave and I have noticed that the only difference between WRC topped guitars that shed bridges are the ones with sloppy scoring through the fibers tend to shed bridges like in Thomas's excellent pic. The ones that were carefully scored tend to rip chunks of the top off outside the bridge foot print.... Both alternatives suck sadly.

I know, I know I built a lot with WRC too but in our experience when it sheds a bridge it likes to leave a goodly amount of itself with the bridge... WRC could learn a lot from Warren Buffett such as when you find yourself creating a hole in a guitar top, stop digging. Sorry for the creative license with Warren's quote...;)

Back to our regularly scheduled "Great Big Don't Do Thread.." ;). Let's see some more debacles please.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: askins (Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
How about this? I'm sure you repair guys have seen worse but it was pretty shocking to me. It's my brother-in-law's 1950s vintage Kay arch top which I've threatened to repair. The original offer was to reproduce the original burst finish that was stripped off a few decades ago. I wanted to practice a hand-applied burst but it's impossible to overlook the neck joint and the worn out and missing frets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I don't think anyone would recommend these repairs/modifications/kluges, but apparently they worked for J. J. Cale on his Harmony.

Attachment:
jj_cale_harmony_back.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
that is an amazing photo! I once had a young lady bring an acoustic Fender in that she painted flowers on and stuck in the oven to dry. Of course she burned the top to where it could never be repaired. We put a new top on it complete with bridge and she gave it back to her brother who was apparently so stoned that he didn't notice...(this was the early 70's when hippies were ubiquitous).

These users thanked the author jshelton for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:15 am)