Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
I cant find a supplier for a LP Junior pre-wired oickguard.

Does anyone know where I might source one?

Thanks!

Laurie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-wired-harness-022uF-K40Y-9-PIO-Cap-fits-Gibson-Les-Paul-LP-Junior-Upgrade-/301155918783?hash=item461e4aa3bf:g:D~QAAOxycD9TTuVh

Is this what you mean? I have used one pre-wired assembly for an esquire from this seller and it worked well. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Very simply - make a pickguard to match YOUR guitar out of what ever you think is cool. Buy the 24 dollar LP jr kit from StewMac or just buy the parts (two pots, a jack, a cap). If you don't know how to solder this would be a good (and simple) time too learn but you can also have a buddy do it for you (my son is an electrician but I wire his guitars for him). You can even move the control to where they feel best for you. Buy the pickup of your dreams and bingo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys - I was hoping for the wired pickguard and all the goodies (start style ones run $200 or so), but i'll do some reading to see exactly what i need.

I realized just how little i know about electric guitars :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Laurie-

There is no wiring/pickup on a LP jr pickguard. The only wiring is in the control cavity that runs to the jack, the pickup and the bridge ground. The pickguard is mainly just for show - it covers the neck tenon. Google the junior to see a picture.

If you want to buy the best electric kit available go to https://precisionguitarkits.com/ and buy there. The company is in Vancouver and I have bought 2 of his kits. They really are nice.

I've also got an old one and it's a beast tonewise. They are simple and fun guitars. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

LaurieW wrote:
Thanks guys - I was hoping for the wired pickguard and all the goodies (start style ones run $200 or so), but i'll do some reading to see exactly what i need.

I realized just how little i know about electric guitars :(

Are you building a LP Jr or trying to fix one or what? The LP Jr is about the most basic wiring you can get on an electric guitar, one pickup with one tone and volume

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... unior.html

There are variations of course and you might want to change the values of components depending on the pickup you decide to use

As I said before, you can buy the "kit" from StewMac

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re ... niors.html

And if you want to understand electric guitar wiring, a really good place to start is the chapter in Melvyn Hiscock's book, Make Your Own Electric Guitar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Oops, I didn't look at the Gibson site enough to realize their were no electronics in that area....open mouth and insert foot here duh

In my defence, I own a strat I never play and hardly look at, so I kinda made some assumptions :roll:

I picked up a LP Jr body a few years ago, just trying to make something playable, i'm not an electric person but like the idea o adding to the collection. :)

Is John Mayes still building? Thats who I bought the body from.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

LaurieW wrote:
I picked up a LP Jr body a few years ago, just trying to make something playable, i'm not an electric person but like the idea o adding to the collection. :)

Is John Mayes still building? Thats who I bought the body from.

I don't think he is building anymore - something about wanting to be able to feed his family. :shock:

It's funny you picked up a junior body from him, I picked up a LP special body (2 pickup version) from him about the same time. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mine look like this :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Laurie,
I believe what you have is called a "Special".
I think a Jr has one pickup, a Special has two.
Great looking body!
Still working on mine.
Dan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lauarie, you should have posted that picture in your first thread. First of all, most LP Jr's were single pickup, usually a P90, which is why I linked the wiring diagram and StewMac kit. Yours is a two pickup model, looks like a humbucker in the neck and a P90 (or mini 'bucker?) in the bridge. Before you go any farther you better figure out what kind of pups the builder intended (or what you want to use)

Next, you are drilled for two volume and two tone pots and a three way selector switch for the pickups. That is standard Gibson wiring of a bazillion guitars - Les Pauls and 335's and SG's. I can send you the wiring diagram if you can't figure that out on your own. You can also buy a "kit" from StewMac or other places with the correct components.

Next, you can decide whether to put a pick guard on it or not. Looks to be a pretty nice piece of wood, if it was mine I would finish to bring out the flame and leave the p/g off, however a LP style of floating guard would work too.

Its drilled for either a ToM bridge and a trapeze tailpiece or one of the combination bridge/stop bars. I don't know if you got hardware with your body but you need to think that thru pretty carefully. When you select your pups you'll need to work on the neck angle to get the correct geometry at the bridge and pickups - Jr's are usually flat topped which means the might have neck angle plus some overstand. Once you have the bridge you can test your neck angle. I assume you have a neck...

I've built several LP and LP Jrs - let me know if I can help but please rub out everything I said about the wiring.

I call this a Junior but its really a cross between a special and a true LP. Thinner body with a slightly carved top, two 'buckers, ToM and stop tailpiece. Flamed spanish cedar, rosewood binding and trim pieces, not pickguard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Guys,

Thanks for the help. I totally forgot I had the pic an obviously didn't even know what I bought back in 2010 :(

I just found the original post, its based very closely on a '59 Junior with an extra pickup, and is routed for dual P-90's. So, thats what I'll install when I get that far. I just ordered the double cutaway junior plan, for reference and dimensions only since the electronics will be modified, but its shipping from Australia is I hope to see it in a few weeks.

I'll buy the stew mac kit for the wiring of the electronics.

I'm leaning toward no pick guard, assuming there is no or little gap between the fretboard and neck pickup.

I just have the body, and I didn't buy or build a neck yet, so that will have to come later.

I asked John what bridge he uses when i bought the body, he game me the part number so I ordered it already. He also threw in some volume and tone buttons :)

Below are a couple more pics.

I really like your guitar pics, they help with ideas and inspiration [:Y:]