PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mike
Last Name: McNerney
City: Ottawa
State: On
Focus: Build
I have a blade I got from Shane 8 years ago it comes in at .023 on the rim & the teeth read.025
When I have used it it is very hard to hammer frets in on EIR & AB even though I bevel it a bit with a triangular file.
I have a arbor press too now but still had difficulty getting a perfect seat. Should I buy a new stew mac one? Can they be sharpened & teeth set. I have seen a number of videos now where this operation looks pretty straight forward...?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
What do your slots measure after cutting?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
mikemcnerney wrote:
I have a blade I got from Shane 8 years ago it comes in at .023 on the rim & the teeth read.025
When I have used it it is very hard to hammer frets in on EIR & AB even though I bevel it a bit with a triangular file.
I have a arbor press too now but still had difficulty getting a perfect seat. Should I buy a new stew mac one? Can they be sharpened & teeth set. I have seen a number of videos now where this operation looks pretty straight forward...?

I had the same problem and went to a .028 blade. The frets now slide in beautifully. I always use black epoxy on each end to insure they don't lift and to fill the little void at the bottom of the fret slot but I doubt it's necessary. This is with the medium frets from StewMac so your results may vary. It's a trial and error problem, get a scrap piece of ebony and try different sizes of slotting blades until you find the perfect one for you.

These users thanked the author jshelton for the post: CraigG (Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Do you have anything to compare it to as a reference? IE, other fret saws? What are the specs on your fret wire? Tang, Barb's...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mike
Last Name: McNerney
City: Ottawa
State: On
Nothing else to compare to. The S.M. blade says .023 I will research where to find the .028 blade and check the specs on the SM wire I am using.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Maybe get the fret barber. It works pretty well actually. I use it to get the tang to the same size as the slot the SM blade cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

mikemcnerney wrote:
Nothing else to compare to. The S.M. blade says .023 I will research where to find the .028 blade and check the specs on the SM wire I am using.

You can find all kinds of slotting blades on the internet for around $12-$15, the problem is they normally have a 1" arbor hole so you need to find a machinist to make you a device to reduce the diameter of the hole to 5/8" for your table saw. I had a friendly machinist make my arbor reducer for around $20 if I recall correctly (it may have been less).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Roger
State: Oklahoma
mikemcnerney wrote:
Should I buy a new stew mac one? Can they be sharpened & teeth set. I have seen a number of videos now where this operation looks pretty straight forward...?

I talked to Stewmac about this last year. The Stewmac blade can't be sharpened, and there's no set to the teeth. I've used my blade for probably 15 fretboards now (katalox, pau ferro, maple, bocote, walnut). the key is keeping it clean.

jshelton wrote:
mikemcnerney wrote:

You can find all kinds of slotting blades on the internet for around $12-$15, the problem is they normally have a 1" arbor hole so you need to find a machinist to make you a device to reduce the diameter of the hole to 5/8" for your table saw. I had a friendly machinist make my arbor reducer for around $20 if I recall correctly (it may have been less).

Also, you typically (at least on the one's I've seen) have to have blade stiffeners as well. I've not seen a ton of them out there either. I've seen the ones that are 2.5" in diameter, but they're pretty much useless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

RogerC108 wrote:
Also, you typically (at least on the one's I've seen) have to have blade stiffeners as well. I've not seen a ton of them out there either. I've seen the ones that are 2.5" in diameter, but they're pretty much useless.

Do an internet search for "slitting" blades. I use the 4" diameter ones ranging from .023 - .028. Last ones I bought last year were around $12.

These users thanked the author jshelton for the post: RogerC108 (Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A crazy idea might be to use very slightly tapered shims between the stiffeners and the blade to make it act a little bit like a wobble dado blade. It wouldn't take much to widen the kerf a few thousandths.

If you leave off the blade stiffeners you might pick up another thousandth or two of kerf - stiffeners are supposed to take some "flutter" out of the blade and make it run true.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I recently went though this problem of Stew-Mac fretwire not fitting into a Stew-Mac fret slot. Over on the MIMF I was given the perfect solution to use fretwire with a narrower tang. Jescar wire has a tang width of .020" and LMII carries it or you can buy online directly from Jescar. Fits perfectly into the .023" slot.

I also made my own fret barber to trim the tangs to get an even easier fit on the fretboard extension where I tap them in.

I have re-sharpened my Stew-Mac blade and it is definitely doable. However, trying to set it is not worth the effort. The blade is so thin that the teeth will bend back into a straight line after a few boards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
I've used 5" slotting blades for 35 years. They come with a 1" arbor hole. I have .023, .028, .051, .057, .063 for various tasks. You can get almost anything you want. Oddly enough, some machinist catalogs call them Jewelers Saw Blades. Cheap and last quite long because of the small cut. On oily woods you have to clean the teeth occasionally with a small wire brush. Done on the saw. You can get 1" to 5/8" reducers for the arbor at Ace hardware for about $0.75. The reducers will be too thick to use on thin blades, but you can run them through a thickness sander to thin them out. These small blades are best used with blade stiffeners. Most blade stiffeners are recessed and you won't need to thin the reducer to actual blade thickness.

These users thanked the author Pegasusguitars for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Has anyone come across 7" or 8" jeweler's blades with 1" holes for fret slotting? A 6" blade won't project above my table saw top.

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Alex Kleon wrote:
Has anyone come across 7" or 8" jeweler's blades with 1" holes for fret slotting? A 6" blade won't project above my table saw top.

Alex

You need a different table saw. 4" work fine on my Jet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jshelton wrote:
Alex Kleon wrote:

Alex

You need a different table saw. 4" work fine on my Jet.

It's a big General, John, and too valuable to me to replace. Maybe I'll get a used bench top saw, instead.

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I had the Blade Manufacturing Company (http://www.blademfg.com/) make me a 10” blade for slotting with my SawStop. They can make whatever you want. It’s what they do.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 2): Alex Kleon (Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Alex Kleon wrote:

It's a big General, John, and too valuable to me to replace. Maybe I'll get a used bench top saw, instead.

Alex

Well I can certainly understand that. I'd love to have a saw like yours. You can probably find a usable bench top for minimal expense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Alex I picked up an 80/s rockwell TS in great condition for $75 us it has a stand , and is way better than the saws made today . Got it off craigslist. locally. It gets a lot of use. I added an extended wooden fence for ripping. There must be a few around in s. ontario. Then you could use it as a dedicated fret slotter . I have a union 3hp Ts I shlepped from vancouver it/s 30 yrs old and still works. I had a machinest friend make me some extra stiffeners. FWIW. I still have an 80/s 100 tooth 4in saw blade from lee valley . easy to sharpen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

ernie wrote:
Alex I picked up an 80/s rockwell TS in great condition for $75 us it has a stand , and is way better than the saws made today . Got it off craigslist. locally. It gets a lot of use. I added an extended wooden fence for ripping. There must be a few around in s. ontario. Then you could use it as a dedicated fret slotter . I have a union 3hp Ts I shlepped from vancouver it/s 30 yrs old and still works. I had a machinest friend make me some extra stiffeners. FWIW. I still have an 80/s 100 tooth 4in saw blade from lee valley . easy to sharpen.

I got my General from a guy I worked with for $1,200. Worked out to $1/pound, and included two 14" Swedish made blades, and a 10" dado set. Took a bit of elbow grease to get through the rust on the top,but well worth it.
I'm thinking a bench top TS might be handy for other things, as well.

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I found several 5" slitting blades with a 0.6mm kerf on Amazon that may work with my saw.
I have not found an arbor adapter ring that will work yet.
These have a 22mm (1-1/16") hole.
Thanks for the info!
Dan

Last edited by dzsmith on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"I picked up an 80/s rockwell TS in great condition for $75 us it has a stand , and is way better than the saws made today "

It is surprising how cheap the old iron is selling for these days. Some one recently gave me an older unisaw to get it out of their garage (they had two) It is nicer than the one I have (now I have two (+)). If you take off the extensions and use a short fence the footprint of a 10 inch cabinet saw is tiny. They are worth having if only for the additional blade selection (thin kerf and 7 1/2 inch blades, smaller dado sets etc.
For fret slotting I cobbled together a small saw that uses the 3 inch Makita battery saw blade. It is very portable and tucks away in a corner when not in use.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: dzsmith (Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Is Shane still in Business? I need another blade.

I used mine on over 600 fingerboards No issues. Keep em clean. Some of StewMacs jumbo frets do have wide tangs. You have to use the fret barber on them. Same with some of the gold fret wire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I am slowly starting to come back with some products but I am getting some upgrades to my CNC first. I do have some fret blades though. The blades i have are made by a maker of "jewler sawblades" except that they are custom made with much greater tolerances than jewler blades. Anyway, they are 6" diametre and .023 or .024, I think the first ones i had made were .023 but these ones may be .024. Anyway, PM me if interested. $50 USD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
I got 2 blades from Shane -6 or 7 years ago.
They are 23.5 -perfect for most fretwire.NOT TO TIGHT!
For Stewmac & other suppliers tangs-Not for really wide tangs !

Make sure you use a 3 corner file to cut the slot top-to help with the fretting.

Mike

These users thanked the author Mike Collins for the post: dpetrzelka (Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809

Last edited by Mike Collins on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.