PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Zac
Last Name: Costilla
State: Illinois
Zip/Postal Code: 62208
Focus: Repair
I have an acoustic archtop (Godin 5th Avenue) to which I’m adding a custom floating pickup (Charlie Christian blade style, by Vintage Vibes, that will attach to the pickguard). I am comfortable doing all the work, except the endpin jack. And asking you all, the experts, for advice.

I’m leaning towards this jack, mostly because I don’t have to tighten the nut from inside the body.

https://www.wdmusic.com/wd-music-produc ... tails.html

My question is: Am I missing a better way or better product?

Secondary question: how would you recommend grounding the tailpiece to help minimize hum?

Zac

Post subject: Re: Archtop Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
The nut on the inside is set ahead of time to fit the thickness of the end block. The nut on the outside is then tightened after it is installed from the inside by working through the sound hole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
Yeah, that jack should work fine, but I don't think it would be any easier to install than a regular input jack. Either way you'll have to figure out how to deal with the f-holes, feeding either the wires through the end pin hole to solder to the jack you're looking at, or feeding the other style of jack (already soldered) through the end pin.

As Barry mentioned with a "regular" endpin jack the inside nut is set to the depth of the heel block with a washer and all the tightening is done on the outside.

In some ways when dealing with f-holes I find it easier to fish more substantial parts through the holes than bare wire. If it was me, I'd send a thin guitar string or something through the end pin hole, pull it out of the f hole you'll be sending your wire through. attach it to the soldered end pin jack and then pull the whole thing back through the end pin hole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
The one in your picture is fine as long as you are installing at the end block where you have material for the screws - it won't work very well if you are going thru the side (will be very weak). I bought one of these a long time ago an it makes installing end pin jacks a breeze

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... _Tool.html

Feed it out thru the f-hole, push the jack on and pull into position, it might take a couple of tries to get the inside nut adjusted right. Feed the outside nut and washer onto the too before you stick in thru the hole, start the nut on the jack and pull the tool out. You might want a Jack-the-Gripper also.

The end pin jack may contact the tailpiece, in that case you are grounded. Otherwise just drill another hole thru the end block and run a ground wire out and put it under the tailpiece.

I'll add that if you are going to install the jack thru the side someplace other than the end block I would use the one in your picture with a curved reinforcing piece on the inside. I've done a couple of repairs where I had to pull the reinforcement in place thru the f-hole but it worked pretty nicely.