PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I'm sure the answer is no, but I'm stumped. Is there any other kind of finish that will work with nitro?

I'm fixing up an old Gibson LG from the 50's, it has a fairly serious head stock break that I'll be addressing with a back strap, obviously I'll inevitably need to add some finish to the new wood. I have not been able to find nitro-cellulose lacquer anywhere in Canada, and definitive advice about what's possibly available is as scarce.

There's lots of "lacquer" (I've used some post-catalyzed stuff before) available but everyone at the paint stores and in the wood finishing industry around here I talk to kind of just shrugs and says they don't bring it in anymore, or its unavailable. It also doesn't help that a lot of people I've talked to locally use the word "lacquer" as a catch all term and seem to think of all the options as interchangeable. I haven't had much luck online either.

I'd welcome any suggestions for a source or an alternative solution.

Conor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Welcome to the post nitro age of Lutherie.

Lots of other things "work" with nitro. If all you need is adhesion then most other materials will work, especially over lacquer from the 50's due not only to it's age but the formulas used then. Something that will buff in seamlessly? That is a different question. Most auto repair clears will work for buffing into almost anything with proper prep but may lift old nitro so a test is in order if you try that.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:16 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am 
Koa
Koa

B. Howard wrote:
Welcome to the post nitro age of Lutherie.

Lots of other things "work" with nitro. If all you need is adhesion then most other materials will work, especially over lacquer from the 50's due not only to it's age but the formulas used then. Something that will buff in seamlessly? That is a different question. Most auto repair clears will work for buffing into almost anything with proper prep but may lift old nitro so a test is in order if you try that.

Thanks Brian, I'm going to keep digging a little more. I talked to another luthier nearby and he gave me some leads to chase down. But I won't jump into the repair until I get my lacquer questions sorted out, so if I do need to test some alternative finish I can do it on the back of the head stock where I'll be removing material anyway for the back strap, since I have no other 50 year old nitro kicking around to test compatibility with.

What do you mean by proper prep?

Its funny when I started out diving into the world of luthiery I loved all the classic designs and was just uninterested in anything not associated with 60's and earlier guitars. The more I learn and grow though, the less interested I am in those guitars, and I'm so much more interested in builders that are moving the ball a little farther down the field (within reason). I guess I'm losing my grip on "mojo".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Conor_Searl wrote:
What do you mean by proper prep?

Witness lines between materials can be greatly minimized by taking care to prep the zone where the two finishes overlap and blend carefully. A good cleaning is in order first so no surface contaminates make a line between coats. Scuffing in the area is also very important. If using an auto refinish cut in clear follow the TDS for that coating for sanding grit. It will be the same as used between coats without wet stacking.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:53 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Shellac can be made to blend into nitro well. Stew Mac sells rattle cans of Nitro will they not deliver to Canada?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Then there's TruOil which plays well with nitro or poly finishes, and in some cases - cyanoacrylate finishes (but it requires thought and prep before using). TruOil is basically foolproof, super glues not so much.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
Shellac can be made to blend into nitro well. Stew Mac sells rattle cans of Nitro will they not deliver to Canada?

Nope, no nitro over the border. Turns out Mohawk does have a distributor in Canada. I just need to get those guys to sell to me, they won't take customers off the street, or off the internet apparently. So I'll wait to see if they'll set me up as a COD account.

There's lots of leeway with this particular instrument. As an extremely beat up 50's LG-1 there's not much value. The friend that picked it up basically had me in mind, saw it as a project to cut my teeth on a few different repairs I have yet to do, so if the nitro thing falls through I may try the shellac route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Focus: Build
Conor, richelieu carries Mohawk products.
There is one in Victoria

B

These users thanked the author Bri for the post: Conor_Searl (Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alan
Last Name: Jones
City: Cobble Hill
Focus: Build
Industrial Plastic and Paints in Nanaimo carries the Mohawk classic instrument nitro as well. I have some at the house if you need some Conor

These users thanked the author tysam for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri May 17, 2019 6:46 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

tysam wrote:
Industrial Plastic and Paints in Nanaimo carries the Mohawk classic instrument nitro as well. I have some at the house if you need some Conor

Thanks Alan. I got set up with a Richelieu account and ordered some online.