Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: Baritone Ukulele Bridge?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Steve
Last Name: Schaefer
City: Atlanta
State: Ge
Zip/Postal Code: 30310
Focus: Build
I need to either make a baritone ukulele bridge or buy one. Does anyone know where I can get one? StewMac sells Ukulele Bridges but not for the Baritone.

I would be Ok with making it, but I can't think of a way to do it without getting my fingers very close to a spinning blade. I will take a tutorial of you know of one.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:49 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: doug
Last Name: powdrell
City: hilo
State: big island
Bandsaw with push stick?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

powdrell wrote:
Bandsaw with push stick?

You don't use the bandsaw to cut the groove for the bone do you? You got a cut that with the router or maybe even a tablesaw. Also in my plans there's a slanted slot where are the strings pass through the back side of the bridge. Do you do that with a band saw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: doug
Last Name: powdrell
City: hilo
State: big island
Several methods to choose from depending on your tools, etc.....

I take a 2" x 8" x 1/2" blank to make 4 bridges. Using a Proxxon mini table saw, cut the saddle slot, then four 1" x 4" blanks on the bandsaw or mini table saw. I use pin bridges, so remove excess on mini table saw. Push stick. Your slots could be cut, I imagine, on a bandsaw or japan saw, and microfiles depending on the width of your kerf...again, I use pinned bridges, so limited info, sorry......best of luck. Sometimes just buying pre-made is the way to go (have done that too!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:36 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

powdrell wrote:
Several methods to choose from depending on your tools, etc.....

I take a 2" x 8" x 1/2" blank to make 4 bridges. Using a Proxxon mini table saw, cut the saddle slot, then four 1" x 4" blanks on the bandsaw or mini table saw. I use pin bridges, so remove excess on mini table saw. Push stick. Your slots could be cut, I imagine, on a bandsaw or japan saw, and microfiles depending on the width of your kerf...again, I use pinned bridges, so limited info, sorry......best of luck. Sometimes just buying pre-made is the way to go (have done that too!)

Thanks

I would buy one if I could find someone selling them

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Ed
Last Name: Miller
City: Wood Dale
State: Illinois
Mike at Mainland Ukulele sells parts. I have bought neck, fretboard , tuners, and bridge with saddle from him. Tenor size but bridge should work for baritone.
Ed M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
You don't need power tools for a simple uke bridge. Get a small craft saw and go to it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Mason
City: Wheeling
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60090
My baritone uke bridges use the same string spread as my tenor bridges (1.75"), so a pre-made tenor bridge will work just fine. However, these days I make the bridge footprint a bit larger for a baritone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:32 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Kevin Mason wrote:
My baritone uke bridges use the same string spread as my tenor bridges (1.75"), so a pre-made tenor bridge will work just fine. However, these days I make the bridge footprint a bit larger for a baritone.

Thanks!!!

I wish someone had said this earlier :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Keith
City: Conroe
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77384
Since I make my own fingerboards from blanks, I can use the left over end wood to make my own bridges to match. Still a beginner ukulele maker, on #12 now, but could not find any bridges for sale that I like, so I get to create mine however I want. Cut the bridge to the size you want, ( use 1x3.5 or 4 inches x1/4). I made a jig to cut the slot with at router and a 1/8" bit. Then I use a chisel to bevel the ends, and file and sand the final shape. Lately I have been polishing the bridge with a dremmel and polishing wheel with tripoli, and then finishing with caranuba wax. They come out very nice and smooth. Westfarthingwoodworks.com has a good video on making your own bridges. I also bought his book on making jigs which has been very helpful. That book is where I learned to make my own fretboard slot duplicator and bridge slot cutting jig.

These users thanked the author modkev for the post: Steve-atl (Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Cheapest and easiest way I've found is to buy a finished bridge on eBay. You can buy rosewood ones that come with all the slots ready cut. You often need to sand the base smooth and square to the slot but nothing that can't be done with hand tools, far from spinning blades. Just search for ukulele saddles, not baritone, and check the dimensions given.
I bought 4, with bone saddles for $14.50. The string spacing for those was 12mm which should work on a baritone.
After all string spacing is up to you. Having said that I mostly make my own because I like to differentiate by using more exotic timber. I use a router and have a timber jig that that pushes the bridge past the router bit. It not only keeps my fingers far from the action but ensures the cut is properly lined up. It's quick and easy.