Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If anyone is interested in getting into FP I stumbled across this serious of video's and thought I would post here to help anyone out. This is more or less the way I have always done it but with a few differences as Mr. Requena even mentions at some point we all tend to find our own way with FP. But this is a fantastic series of video's to get anyone off on the right start and very generous of Pablo Requena to post up to Youtube for all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4z14Vjkxk

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 4): Ken Nagy (Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 am) • TimAllen (Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm) • SnowManSnow (Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm) • DanKirkland (Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
I watched most of it, still have a couple to go. I've learned a lot. Not surprisingly, because I don't know much. The videos are among the best tutorials I've ever watched. David Sora is very good on violin making videos. Very well done. I see that there is a thanks button that must be like a like button. I use those all the time on videos, because I use videos daily on my blog, and use the like to remember that I used the video, or watched it before. Probably thousands of them. Even retired, I only have so much time! Don't really need to watch over. Some music videos are worth watching over.

I'm not sure what I'll use to finish this guitar with. I know I'll use epoxy as the filler. I'm pretty sure I will use in for the inlay around the edge; a modern version of the baroque mastic; so I might as well fill with it too. It looks like it works well, and I have a lot of plastic cards from AARP.

My wife hates the smell of any hydrocarbons. Alcohol, varnish, turpentine, when I'm cooking varnish in the back yard and the black smoke is billowing. Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either; like breathing pure evil. It seems like of all of them, the FP would be the least offensive. At least alcohol smell dissipates quicker.

That's a plus point to me for French polish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

FP is probably safest finish around and is well suited to small and even in home shops. It's jsut about perfectly harmless especially if you use pure alcohol and not the meths with additives.

I like a nice mastik too. I've used regular charcoal and powdered it with a mortar and pestle.