PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
A customer has asked me to install this pickup for him. It was $35. [headinwall] There are no instructions, or info on where to place them. I've put the K&K system into guitars before, but these transducers are a lot bigger. I doubt All 3 will fit on the bridge plate. Any suggestions on where would be best?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
The trash... Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
These are really very good and a good price...

http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

sdsollod wrote:
The trash... Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

haha, yes well I talked with the client and let him know I'd charge him $100 to install the pickup and he's decided to forego for the time being so problem solved. Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Somewhere in a parts box I have a set of those just waiting for the right project. My guess is a few clever additions of the right buffer preamp and controls will help that combo bring a guitar to life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I believe that K&K made a three pickup configuration for a 12 string that has larger discs.

And, FWIW, I figure one hour of labor to install a K&K, including reaming the end pin hole. Most of that is waiting for the gel to kick off. That certainly isn't a hundred bucks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Freeman wrote:
And, FWIW, I figure one hour of labor to install a K&K, including reaming the end pin hole. Most of that is waiting for the gel to kick off. That certainly isn't a hundred bucks

Charging a premium to install customer supplied parts isn't uncommon. Some shops simply refuse to install anything they do not provide and with good reason.... Customers often buy the wrong stuff ( F-spaced P-ups when they needed regular) or buy counterfeit non functional junk off e-bay and all this will become your problem as soon as you touch it.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Quote:
Charging a premium to install customer supplied parts isn't uncommon. Some shops simply refuse to install anything they do not provide and with good reason.... Customers often buy the wrong stuff ( F-spaced P-ups when they needed regular) or buy counterfeit non functional junk off e-bay and all this will become your problem as soon as you touch it.

Mr. Howard is correct. This is common practice with many shops - not just guitar repair. My partner in crime (Mike Metz at Thesis Audio Service) will NOT install tubes brought into his shop. You MUST buy them from him, or he won't touch them.

However, I am more lenient - I will install their parts bought elsewhere, but I eyeball them critically while they are with me and make a decision then before moving forward. I also make perfectly clear that if the part doesn't work out - IDGAF. (google it if you don't know what that means) It's on them if the part is crap, and I reserve the right to make fun of them loudly in the presence of others. (I told you so) I also tell them if it all goes south, I might not fix it just out of spite - and if I do chose to, then they will take it in the shorts.

After 40 years, I feel pretty free to abuse my clients because there are always more - but most stick with me. I guess I'm a prima donna - hard to work with, but I deliver the goods.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Freeman wrote:
I believe that K&K made a three pickup configuration for a 12 string that has larger discs.

I don't know Freeman, as a player that's about what I would have expected to pay in my neck of the woods for getting the job done, and looking around online at other repair shops published prices it seems that's about what an acoustic pickup install is going for. Couple that with the fact that there are zero install instructions and the thing just looks totally mickey mouse, so the job will involve extra time problem solving/research. I realize I could go with what K&K suggests for their product but what if that's not ideal for this particular pickup, then what? I'm always open to charging less in the end if things work out well, but this particular job had too many question marks to not give myself some wiggle room.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have seen those before and wondered about their quality. I probably would have installed them just so that I would know.

I have found the JBB's to be just as good at K and K too for far less expense.

I don't mind installing customer provided pickups as long as they are on my list of trusted companies like FIshman, K and K and so on and as long as they are new and in the box.