Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
I didn't think about how high on the body a sound hole can be. On my arch top, the f holes are completely below the middle bout. And the upper block is quite small, the extension is just up in the air, it isn't supported on the inside.

I started doing the inlay on mine. A weird idea I came up with. It's supposed to be an arch top by G B Guadagnini in about 1780, in response to his sons guitars. Instead of a rosette, since he used cello style f holes, he decided to but a decoration around the edge. Wooden discs sunk into a sea of mastic. I'm going to try to set them in very transparent blue epoxy.

We'll see how that works. This it it so far:

Attachment:
unnamed.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
a little inlay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Mike Collins for the post: olmorton71 (Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:58 am)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Installing a pickup and closing up the box.

Attachment:
Pickup octave mando.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm) • Michaeldc (Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:23 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
Nice, Jay!
What brand pick up is that?
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It's a K&K mandolin pickup. The transducers for this pickup are quite different from the ones for their steel string guitar pickups. Quite a bit bigger surface area and a different shape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Not actually what's happening IN my shop but rather ON my shop, the outside anyway. I had the Jethro Tull song 'Scraping Away' stuck in my head all day :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
J De Rocher wrote:
It's a K&K mandolin pickup. The transducers for this pickup are quite different from the ones for their steel string guitar pickups. Quite a bit bigger surface area and a different shape.

Interesting, how different is it from the little 3 sensor mini in terms of sound?

I can't count how many K&Ks I've removed over the past 4 years. If this one is better sounding I might reconsider some recommendations to my customers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

DanKirkland wrote:
J De Rocher wrote:
Interesting, how different is it from the little 3 sensor mini in terms of sound?

I don't know yet. This is the first time for me using their mando pickup. Even when this instrument is up and running, it might not fully answer your question. The instrument I'm building is an octave mandolin with a flat top guitar type body with a fixed bridge. The K&K pickup seems to be intended primarily for carved top regular mandolins and the transducers are supposed to be mounted to the underside of the top just inboard of each f-hole. I talked to a guy at K&K tech support and told him what I'm building. I asked if I should mount the transducers on the bridge plate directly under the saddle like you do with the guitar transducers and he said no. He recommended placing them on the bridge plate as far out to the ends of the bridge wings as the bracing allows.

An interesting difference in installation between the mandolin and guitar pickups is that while they recommend installing the guitar transducers with super glue gel for best performance and maximum output, the mandolin transducers are installed with two layers of very thin double stick tape (provided) and the tape is required for best performance. They say that the tape cuts down on noise caused by things like brushing against the top. To make the installation more permanent, you have the option of adding a drop of super glue onto the tape, but the tape is still required.

As an aside, I asked about using their ukulele pickup mounting it under the saddle like the guitar pickup, but he said the frequency response would be wrong for a mandolin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Interesting. They told me they placed them there because that's as far as you can reach through the f-holes, and to put a transducer between each pair like the guitars...which I did and it was fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
J De Rocher wrote:

I don't know yet. This is the first time for me using their mando pickup. Even when this instrument is up and running, it might not fully answer your question. The instrument I'm building is an octave mandolin with a flat top guitar type body with a fixed bridge. The K&K pickup seems to be intended primarily for carved top regular mandolins and the transducers are supposed to be mounted to the underside of the top just inboard of each f-hole. I talked to a guy at K&K tech support and told him what I'm building. I asked if I should mount the transducers on the bridge plate directly under the saddle like you do with the guitar transducers and he said no. He recommended placing them on the bridge plate as far out to the ends of the bridge wings as the bracing allows.

An interesting difference in installation between the mandolin and guitar pickups is that while they recommend installing the guitar transducers with super glue gel for best performance and maximum output, the mandolin transducers are installed with two layers of very thin double stick tape (provided) and the tape is required for best performance. They say that the tape cuts down on noise caused by things like brushing against the top. To make the installation more permanent, you have the option of adding a drop of super glue onto the tape, but the tape is still required.

As an aside, I asked about using their ukulele pickup mounting it under the saddle like the guitar pickup, but he said the frequency response would be wrong for a mandolin.

The big hangup I have always had with the mini is mainly the sound but moreso the fact that it's a permanent install with the superglued transducers. I like the idea of the tape WAY more than superglue. Thanks for sharing about that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I tend to prefer Schatten all round, they use stick tape too...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

meddlingfool wrote:
Interesting. They told me they placed them there because that's as far as you can reach through the f-holes, and to put a transducer between each pair like the guitars...which I did and it was fine.

Yea, I think they designed the mando pickups with installation through f-holes of a closed box as a priority.

I found your photo of the mandolin you built with the pickup installed in the open box. http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=51926&hilit=mandolin

I'm guessing that you positioned the transducers right below the bridge. If you thought it sounded fine, then I'm thinking it should work fine on mine too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hmm...that twigs a memory. I think I placed them a little ahead of directly beneath but I do not recall for sure. So glad I take shop notes. Cough cough...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
inlays again!
Mc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:57 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Bill
Last Name: Mansfield
City: El Dorado Hills
State: CA
Finishing the finishing...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Hey billm, that's looking like a great pair.
I'm guessing Bubinga and Sapelle with EIR bindings?
Looks like the side purfling mitres turned out well.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: billm (Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:36 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lately I've been side tracked rebuilding a picket fence and making an "arch" for my eldest son's wedding. The arch comes apart in 4 pieces for easy transport. The people in the first picture are my daughter and her boyfriend who posed to provide a "scale" for the nine ft tall arch. My son didn't specify the height he wanted so I erred on the larger end of things.
The finishing was done using the small pancake compressor in the second picture and a HF jamb gun. I have a larger spray gun but the jamb gun was at hand. The compressor kept up with the spray gun - it never ran out of air.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
That's the nicest Stargate I've ever seen, Clay!

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Clay S. (Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Bill
Last Name: Mansfield
City: El Dorado Hills
State: CA
Colin North wrote:
Hey billm, that's looking like a great pair.
I'm guessing Bubinga and Sapelle with EIR bindings?
Looks like the side purfling mitres turned out well.

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yes, that's exactly it, bubinga, sapele, and EIR bindings.
This is #6 & 7 for me, happy how they are coming along. Not perfect, but less imperfect than prior ones.

Bill

These users thanked the author billm for the post: Colin North (Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Don,
Not being familiar with stargate, I had to look it up. The arch was used as a back drop and something to hang flowers on at the wedding. He mentioned a "secondary" use as a prop in a L.A.R.P. he (and his now - wife) created. You have me wondering if the wedding was the "secondary" use. gaah ( laughing6-hehe )

https://www.dreamlarp.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: William
Last Name: Bustard
No room for a bandsaw anymore- but there are some tools small and useful enough one should never get rid of.
This classic Craftsman Jigsaw is one of those.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
Hey Colin, just sayin hello…and sharing a few pics from my tiny shop…if I can remember how to do that…
Well it seems I have some learning to do before I can post pics…perhaps someone can point me in the right direction…
I’m not building a guitar quite yet but building the needed alignment tools and such…

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Just finished #84, a Sitka/double side (Mahogany outer IRW inner) size 2. Little guy. Sounds good to my moderately impaired hearing :)

ImageIMG_5829 by Terence Kennedy, on Flickr

I have been messing around with different wood combinations for double sides. Bird's Eye Maple outer/IRW inner has been a big hit. I like the Mahogany/IRW too but not totally convinced it is all that much better than straight Mahogany for both. Onward and upward eh?

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: bcombs510 (Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:36 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Terence Kennedy wrote:
Just finished #84, a Sitka/double side (Mahogany outer IRW inner) size 2. Little guy. Sounds good to my moderately impaired hearing :)

I have been messing around with different wood combinations for double sides. Bird's Eye Maple outer/IRW inner has been a big hit. I like the Mahogany/IRW too but not totally convinced it is all that much better than straight Mahogany for both. Onward and upward eh?

That's a beauty. How did you stain the bird's eye maple? That color looks great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next