Official Luthiers Forum!

Solely owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:08 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm
Posts: 202
First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Fighting inflation doesn’t make much sense to me, inflation is expected and economy-wide and I’m not going to gripe if a company increases its prices a little to keep in line with inflation. I do the same with the rates I charge customers.



These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:48 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:15 pm
Posts: 452
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
First name: John "jd"
City: Santa Barbara
State: Ca
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
If professional luthiers are not supporting stewmac, then stewmac needs to find a new market ( hobbyists) or cease to be in business.
I find it humorous and ironic that someone who proudly proclaims to buy nearly nothing from stewmac, preferring to go directly to suppliers to lower costs, is the one who seems to be bewildered that stewmac has been migrating its business from supporting professional luthiers to hobbyists. Hobbyists are likely an attractive market because they don't have the knowledge needed to source materials and supplies directly.

Of course I also find it humorous that my spell checker keeps replacing 'luthier' with 'outlier'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 pm 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Country: United States
Status: Professional
joshnothing wrote:
Fighting inflation doesn’t make much sense to me, inflation is expected and economy-wide and I’m not going to gripe if a company increases its prices a little to keep in line with inflation. I do the same with the rates I charge customers.


Yep and we are about to do this too and have not looked at our pricing in several years. It cost us more to operate in a covid environment as well since we had to go to an appointment only model with some questions asked in advance. We also suspended the "try it before you take it home" thing we always did where we will still do this when a customer picks up but only if they ask, we don't suggest it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:55 pm 
Offline
Walnut
Walnut

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am
Posts: 3
First name: Robert
Last Name: Metcalfe
City: Vancouver
State: BC
Country: Canada
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
I’m about to call Stewmac about my five week wait for my package…

I’ve not noticed much mention in this thread about the recent sale of Stewmac to a private equity fund. Champlain Capitol took over mid-Sept. I recall that is when the website changed and the phone stopped getting answered.

Champlain has no expertise in the guitar sector. From the website of Amherst Partners, the company that facilitated the sale:
“ Stewart-MacDonald represents a new platform investment for Champlain, which plans to leverage the marketing and operational expertise of its principals to expand Stewart-MacDonald’s iconic brands.”

Equity funds are about maximizing profit for shareholders. That’s all. I have trouble finding the generosity to accept that the recent changes are due to covid, inflation, or growing pains because of hobbyists.

The Stewmac we knew is gone. Whether it remains a viable option as a source in the future remains to be seen.

Regardless, guitars will be made, repaired and played.

Bob.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Bob



These users thanked the author Sasamat&Trimble for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm) • Hesh (Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm) • Chris Pile (Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:13 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 am
Posts: 4901
First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Country: Good old US of A
Focus: Repair
Status: Professional
^^^ Hear, Hear! ^^^

_________________
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince



These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Sasamat&Trimble (Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:35 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:19 am
Posts: 1049
First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Country: United States
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Chris Pile wrote:
^^^ Hear, Hear! ^^^


To what?

_________________
Hutch

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!



These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Chris Pile (Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm
Posts: 357
First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Professional
Champlain Capitol announced the acquisition of StewMac in February 2016. Can anyone explain the difference between that acquisition and the September one referenced above? What has changed in ownership? What is going on?



These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:57 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 4968
Apparently there are several Champlain Capitols. It sounds like they are used to move money:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ion-312-of

Some how it reminds me of Newhart - This is my brother Darrel, this is my other brother Darrel..... laughing6-hehe



These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:21 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:45 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Status: Amateur
Clay S. wrote:
Apparently there are several Champlain Capitols. It sounds like they are used to move money:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ion-312-of

Some how it reminds me of Newhart - This is my brother Darrel, this is my other brother Darrel..... laughing6-hehe

What are you saying here Clay! :) Darrel



These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:11 am
Posts: 1786
Well, I am still a "fan" of Stew Mac....


For one thing, They have one of best selections of tuning machines anywhere. I am particularly fond of their "Golden Age" repro tuner line-there is not much on the market that fills that void and they are reasonably priced for what they are.

I have ordered at least 8 times this year and have no problems with quality, shipping,etc. my purchase usually arrive 3 or 4 days after I order.

Yes, a lot of the stuff is expensive, but after I use it for a while I forget about the price and am happy to have a reliable tool.

Just my 2 cents



These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:28 am 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Brad Goodman wrote:
Well, I am still a "fan" of Stew Mac....


For one thing, They have one of best selections of tuning machines anywhere. I am particularly fond of their "Golden Age" repro tuner line-there is not much on the market that fills that void and they are reasonably priced for what they are.

I have ordered at least 8 times this year and have no problems with quality, shipping,etc. my purchase usually arrive 3 or 4 days after I order.

Yes, a lot of the stuff is expensive, but after I use it for a while I forget about the price and am happy to have a reliable tool.

Just my 2 cents


And I am still a fan too and thanks for this Brad. I just wrote a recommendation of SM and that I am completely satisfied with the resolution to my issues in another thread here.

We all benefit from a strong, well run StewMac.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:34 pm 
Offline
Walnut
Walnut

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 am
Posts: 3
First name: Robert
Last Name: Metcalfe
City: Vancouver
State: BC
Country: Canada
Focus: Build
Status: Semi-pro
bobgramann wrote:
Champlain Capitol announced the acquisition of StewMac in February 2016. Can anyone explain the difference between that acquisition and the September one referenced above? What has changed in ownership? What is going on?


Hi Bob, et.al.

What is going on is that I misunderstood the dating of an article that I found on the Amhearst Website.

Your dates are correct.

I received a very patient DM from a forum member who works at Stewmac. He corrected my dating, and let me know that from his perspective, the merger with Champlain has been very positive.

After dealing with some problems with the new Stewmac site, and some uncharacteristically short customer service replies, I search for information and saw (on google) a post dated September 21, 2021 announcing the merger. This was on the Amherst site. The Amherst page did not have a reference to the date of the merger, so I accepted the posted date as the merger date. I confess that I didn't dig deeper before accepting that as fact, and let my assumptions and biases add one and one and get seven.

I apologize to all and sundry. I like to believe that I know better. Apparently not.

I'll now return to my nine or ten years of reading and not posting ;)
However, before radio silence returns, let me thank everyone who has been so generous with their knowledge over the years. I've benefitted a great deal, and am truly appreciative.

Best,
Bob

_________________
Bob



These users thanked the author Sasamat&Trimble for the post (total 3): Lincoln Goertzen (Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:48 am) • Hesh (Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 pm) • Bryan Bear (Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 pm 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 11004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Sasamat&Trimble wrote:
bobgramann wrote:
Champlain Capitol announced the acquisition of StewMac in February 2016. Can anyone explain the difference between that acquisition and the September one referenced above? What has changed in ownership? What is going on?


Hi Bob, et.al.

What is going on is that I misunderstood the dating of an article that I found on the Amhearst Website.

Your dates are correct.

I received a very patient DM from a forum member who works at Stewmac. He corrected my dating, and let me know that from his perspective, the merger with Champlain has been very positive.

After dealing with some problems with the new Stewmac site, and some uncharacteristically short customer service replies, I search for information and saw (on google) a post dated September 21, 2021 announcing the merger. This was on the Amherst site. The Amherst page did not have a reference to the date of the merger, so I accepted the posted date as the merger date. I confess that I didn't dig deeper before accepting that as fact, and let my assumptions and biases add one and one and get seven.

I apologize to all and sundry. I like to believe that I know better. Apparently not.

I'll now return to my nine or ten years of reading and not posting ;)
However, before radio silence returns, let me thank everyone who has been so generous with their knowledge over the years. I've benefitted a great deal, and am truly appreciative.

Best,
Bob


Bob please keep posting I appreciate your posts!



These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Sasamat&Trimble (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:08 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cal Maier and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB customization services by 2by2host.com