Post subject: Torrefied Sitka
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Hi all. Several years ago Alaska Specialty Woods jumped into Torrified tops. On their test run they kept pairs of tops, baking one of them. They offered a half dozen or so of these paired sets (torrefied/non-torrefied) to us. I was feeling flush at the time and also was ordering a bunch of other tops, so I jumped in. They've been sitting in my stack, partly waiting for the right build, and partly because the torrefied top seemed to be extremely dark. Like baked all the way through to the point of almost being burnt.

Fast forward to this afternoon and picking a top for a highly figured Bubinga 00 and I thought I'd look at the torrefied top once again. Thinking that perhaps if I ran it through the drum sander it would take off the outer baking and look a little lighter in color.

Nope. Pretty nice chocolate brown all the way through. The attached photo shows the sanded torrefied top sitting on top of the unsanded non-torrefied pair.

So the question is, Is this normal? The Stewmac photo of torrefied vs non-torrefied does show the baked top a little darker. But my band mate has a Collings with a torrefied top that looks almost as light as non. It's definitely unique and could work well for the right build. I thought I'd put it out to you all before bothering ASW.

Attachment:
20220522_170152.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Torrefied Sitka
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
The torrified red spruce I've used (from RC Tonewoods) was definitely darker than un-torrefied red spruce but wasn't near that dark.

Attachment:
1643.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
I've just finished a guitar with a torrified sitka top from SM, doesn't look as dark as yours does.
The top pic is probably the closer to the color, on my screen anyway, more honey colored than chocolate.
I understand that you can get different "grades" of torrifaction, and some makers claim to be targeting the vintage sound of guitars from a specific age.
I must admit, yours does look pretty "well done".
I seem to remember ASW mentioning varying the recipe in the early days from their torrifaction processer - maybe ask them directly?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Honey is a good description of the torrefied tops I’ve had.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I just sent pix and a message to ASW. They're a good outfit, so I'll see what comes of it.

Cheers!

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post: Colin North (Mon May 23, 2022 3:36 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Definitely much darker than any I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I am not experienced with torrified spruce, but while recently touring Appalachian Tonewood, I learned from Luke Blair (one of the owners) that, when they torrify, they only send their spruce to a torrefaction shop that will cook it at a low temperature (170 F.). The spruce that gets cooked at a high temperature winds up being extremely difficult to glue. You might want to ask how your spruce was torrified, and test it before you put too much effort into it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I bought some of those paired sets too back then but the ones I have are not that dark. I have not had the time to build with those yet. I've used a few from Stew Mac and am working with some now from Old World Tonewood which are not that dark either.

I think your set looks cool though.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:51 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
State: WA
I jumped on that deal too (only 1 pair tho). My torrefied set is very dark, like yours.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:58 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

A agree that this is darker than anything I've ever seen. It even smells somewhat burnt.

I got an immediate reply from Brent (owner) at ASW, which I appreciate. But was a little disappointed. Perhaps it is my learning curve on torrefied wood, but I was hoping for something more helpful for me as a customer. The response was basically, "It's fine. That's just what that piece of wood wanted to do. Deal with it." Full response is below. I will say that tap tones on the cooked and uncooked pieces are remarkably different. The torrefied pieces really have a ring or chime to them that is not present in the uncooked pieces. I think this top will have to go on something other than my lovely set of figured bubinga.

Quote:
Tony i could have told you what saw os what it is. it’s not over cooked. The outfit we use is not one that has a practice of over cooking. The dark color is a combination of attributes. One the hard grain. The other is the amount of sugars and pitch within the cell structure, that is a genetic attribute of that particular tree, that darkens in the roast. 14.6 ounces is definitely very lightweight and low density. The tonal response will be amazing. Maybe Be creative with a finish or paint it solid color

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I would say that is a reasonable response. I think I remember from back when they pitched this idea that Brent was talking about being careful who they get to cook the wood so as not to over cook it. I think they went with a tonewood cooker with experience.

Nonetheless any of the T-top wood that I have been using from various suppliers has that funny smell to it. IDK that I would call it burnt but perhaps notes of dark chocolate and pairs well with rosewood ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Be careful if you do any cross-grain flexing. Torrified spruce is more brittle and it will split pretty easy - I found that out when I was looking for the 'wobbly sheet metal sound' while thicknessing the first torrified top I had.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Gasawdust (Tue May 24, 2022 5:43 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
SteveSmith wrote:
Be careful if you do any cross-grain flexing. Torrified spruce is more brittle and it will split pretty easy - I found that out when I was looking for the 'wobbly sheet metal sound' while thicknessing the first torrified top I had.

Amen!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:29 pm 
OLF Sponsor
OLF Sponsor

First name: Brent
Last Name: Cole Sr
City: Craig
State: Alaska
Zip/Postal Code: 99921
doncaparker wrote:
I am not experienced with torrified spruce, but while recently touring Appalachian Tonewood, I learned from Luke Blair (one of the owners) that, when they torrify, they only send their spruce to a torrefaction shop that will cook it at a low temperature (170 F.). The spruce that gets cooked at a high temperature winds up being extremely difficult to glue. You might want to ask how your spruce was torrified, and test it before you put too much effort into it.

I don't believe 170 degrees F can be considered torrified, but rather just kiln dried. That is what a steam/heat kiln would operate at to achieve a 160 degree pitch set.
170 degrees celcius is a different story, that would be torrified.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
It's certainly possible he said Fahrenheit but meant Celsius, or that I misunderstood him. Either way, the salient point Luke was trying to make when he said this during our tour is that some torrefaction shops cook the wood at too high a temperature for what guitar builders want at the end of the day. The wood cooked at this higher temperature may be useful for other things, but it is hard to work with as instrument wood. So, those who seek torrified wood for instruments should make sure they know how the wood was torrified, or else they can get something they don't want.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Chris Ide (Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It can be hard to find that info out. Not every supplier is willing to put that info out, if they even have it.

I’ve had two batches done on my behalf, the first was more cooked than I was comfortable, the second more to my taste, and unfortunately I’ve forgotten both recipes. It would be good to know what some other people’s time temps and processes were. Sure do love the smell, and on the right project it’s just the ticket.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm 
OLF Sponsor
OLF Sponsor

First name: Brent
Last Name: Cole Sr
City: Craig
State: Alaska
Zip/Postal Code: 99921
An FYI.....One of our customers, Dana Bourgious hooked me up with the outfit he now uses for all their torifying. And they do a lot of that. He had used another outfit previous and found that too much was over cooked. I directed the guy to do for us what he does for Dana. I think the darkness of this set in question is from 2 reasons as stated in my reply to the author of the original post. The hard grain that you can see in the non-roasted counterpart, plus the amount of sugar in this particular trees genetic makeup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Lucas
Last Name: Hofer
City: Flandreau
State: Sd
Zip/Postal Code: 57028
Do you guys normally use torrified bracing with the torrified tops or is that not important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Lukehofer588 for the post: Chris Ide (Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Personally, I stopped using torrefied brace stock, as it’s brittleness was skeeving me out a bit. As well, the stuff I had was both overcooked and riddled with runout, so double whammy.

Can’t say as though I noticed any real tone change. With regular brace wood, the torrefied tops still sounded torrefied.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Same reasoning here - it’s too brittle. I use regular red spruce brace stock.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have used T-wood for bracing. I think once it's glued down it's probably pretty good but I have been wondering about it too. Seems like a lot of luthiers do not like using it for reasons mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Dan
Last Name: Savage
City: Trabuco Canyon
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92679
Lukehofer588 wrote:
Do you guys normally use torrified bracing with the torrified tops or is that not important

I always use torrefied brace stock with torrefied tops.

I've played a guitar for a while that had non-torrefied braces on a torrefied top and it didn't sound as good as fully-torrefied tops.

The non-torrefied wood is not as resonant, so it prevents the torrefied top from vibrating as much as the fully-torrefied tops.

Also, the non-torrefied wood is going to be more sensitive to changes in humidity, so will swell and shrink more than the torrefied wood it's attached to.

WRT it being more brittle, torrefication 'ages' the wood and makes it more delicate. I treat it like it's 300-year-old wood and don't have any problems.