Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:27 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Is there a way to tell the difference between waxed and unwaxed shellac when it is still flakes? I am going to use it as a sealer and staining before to apply lacquer and I understand that it must be unwaxed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe all flakes are dewaxed. But if there is indeed wax you will definitely see it. After a few days you will see a white substance settled down to the bottom of the jar. You can decant it or use a squeeze bottle and suck it out carefully. If it has not settled out then the shellac will not be clear but rather milky.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
Life's short enough. Toss the mystery flakes and obtain some that are positively identified.

(My elder brother was a long-distance tanker driver. He once hauled a load of paint solvent from Wisconsin to California. Sent with improper documents. Customer refused to accept, he hauled it back. No messing around with testing. Not sure what it is? Back it goes.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:14 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

jfmckenna wrote:
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe all flakes are dewaxed. But if there is indeed wax you will definitely see it. After a few days you will see a white substance settled down to the bottom of the jar. You can decant it or use a squeeze bottle and suck it out carefully. If it has not settled out then the shellac will not be clear but rather milky.

Thank you very much for your reply!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:17 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

phavriluk wrote:
Life's short enough. Toss the mystery flakes and obtain some that are positively identified.

(My elder brother was a long-distance tanker driver. He once hauled a load of paint solvent from Wisconsin to California. Sent with improper documents. Customer refused to accept, he hauled it back. No messing around with testing. Not sure what it is? Back it goes.)

I have several shellac flakes colour types, some with a nice colour. I would like use this flakes. I will do a test before. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:01 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Michael
Last Name: Bradley
I'm not so sure that all flakes are dewaxed, as I've seen flakes advertised and some are labelled "dewaxed" and some not. I've always bought the ones that are specified as dewaxed and not had any problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Juan CAR wrote:
phavriluk wrote:

I have several shellac flakes colour types, some with a nice colour. I would like use this flakes. I will do a test before. Thank you.

If you have some "blonde" or "platina" shellac it is most likely dewaxed. Bleaching and dewaxing are often done at the same time.
Shellac is a good sealer and barrier coat when a thin coat is applied, but if you apply enough coats to build colour with shellac then it might cause adhesion problems with the lacquer top coats. Adding a dye stain to the lacquer might be a better option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
rub a flake between your thumb & index finger- if feels waxy it is NOT de-waxed
Shellac.net used to sell then -I stil have some -great for F-Polish-no need to use oil.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
You can buy completely raw, or lightly processed lac if you are French polishing. It will have 3-5% wax. I haven't tried French polishing yet, and just have some de-waxed garnet flakes that I use.
If you let shellac in alcohol sit, the wax will be on the bottom. Even with de-waxed.

https://woodfinishingenterprises.com/sh ... /sticklac/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:35 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Thank you very much to all for your information. Is very useful for me. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

As stated the wax settles to the bottom after a few days. Just decant off the top and you have dewaxed shellac.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Also, I figure this is a language translation thing, but there is a reason all the responders have called it de-waxed shellac instead of un-waxed shellac. The wax is naturally in shellac; someone has to go to the trouble of taking the wax out, as opposed to someone going to the trouble of putting the wax in. The prefix "de" signifies taking something out. The prefix "un" signifies not putting something in. Just one of the many ridiculously difficult things about English. And even more difficult: It is not consistent. Things become unglued; they also delaminate. It's a wonder any of us understand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Don wrote:
"The prefix "de" signifies taking something out. The prefix "un" signifies not putting something in. Just one of the many ridiculously difficult things about English. And even more difficult: It is not consistent. Things become unglued; they also delaminate. It's a wonder any of us understand."

But with denatured alcohol you are putting something in. beehive
I agree, English is wonderfully inconsistent. It's just "de nature" of the language ! bliss One of the quickest ways for me to piss off my wife is for me to correct her speech.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Well, there's a whole chemistry thing concerning the word "denatured." I don't understand the logic of that part of their language (those who study chemistry), but I'm sure they have their reasons. :D

Correcting language is dangerous territory. I have to do it at work, because I have to edit things other people write, and we are writing for a specific audience (judges). I don't make a habit of it outside that context, but it is pretty important in that context. I only offer the OP the difference between "de" and "un" here because it goes to the nature of the stuff we are talking about (shellac). The bugs produce it with wax in it.