PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: robin
Last Name: courtenay
City: andover
State: hants
Focus: Build
Hello looking for reccomendations please as there are so many types out there .Spraying outside by the way.Thanks Rob.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Disposable-Re ... 163&sr=8-3
I use this and these cartridges
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Formaldehyde- ... 744&sr=8-5

get 2 sets of filters for this. Once you can smell they are shot.

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:56 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
For a reusable, very durable, easily cleaned half face mask, the 3M 6000 Series mask (6100 = small; 6200 = medium; 6300 = large) paired with the P100 cartridge and replacement 5P71 N95 dust filters work for us. Once the cartridges are opened, the mask is stored in a 1 gallon resealable poly freezer bag, which prevents the cartridge from wearing out in open air storage (activated charcoal will continue to absorb vapors when present). The 6200 medium mask will fit most women and smaller men, and the 6300 large mask those with larger heads/wider faces.

Mask:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-6200-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B007JZ1N00/ref=sr_1_4?crid=36GHHK9P7HIYP&dchild=1&keywords=3m+6200&qid=1619963214&s=hi&sprefix=3M+6200%2Ctools%2C150&sr=1-4

Cartridge:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-60926-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B009POHLRC/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=3m%2Brespirator%2B6300&qid=1619962526&sr=8-9&th=1

Filters:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Half-Facepiece-Cartridges-Filters/dp/B01I4D4SRK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=3M+5n11&qid=1619963152&s=hi&sr=1-6

For a bit more money, the 3M 6500 'Rugged Comfort Quick-Detach' mask line is similar, but the 3M 6100/6200/6300 seems to be what we find both useful and affordable. MSA makes competing products, and we have a few of their equivalent masks, but they are not quite as easily cleaned or donned/doffed, so have not been used since the last time they received a full clean and san prior to storage.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Don't even think about trying to get away with a plain dust mask! I used to do that, in the dissipated days of my misspent youth, and now I'm very sensitive to lacquer fumes. I can't even open a can without problems. My older brother used a lot of lacquer ('dope') building model airplanes when we were young. It affected his kidneys enough to get him a draft deferment, and probably shortened his life.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

I'm going to advise spending a few extra bucks and using the 3M 7500 series masks...they are more comfortable by far than the lower priced versions...as far as I know they all use the same cartridges

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

+1 on the 7500 series. I don't shoot nitro any more, but it's still my spray mask of choice.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

the 3M masks are good and as you can see there is a variety of cartridges. Be sure you learn to fit them . The 5100 I show is a disposable 6200 you change the cartridge. I use both disposable and the 6200 use a good mask and make sure you fit it well. Follow the instructions to keep the clean and sanitary
also be sure you have good ventilation

Co President of ASIA

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hmm I never even thought those cartridges would go bad in open air. Thanks for mentioning it.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

on the subject of fitting...cover the filters with your hands and breathe in...if you don't feel suction against your face then the mask is improperly fitted...keep adjusting until you get a good tight seal around your face...as a note if you have anything more than stubble getting a seal is pretty much impossible

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I use MSA respirators because that is what we always used at work. The plastic bag cover is a good idea. It will not only keep your cartridges fresh but it will keep the respirator clean. I don't clean my respirators often enough but washing in soap and water should be routine.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
Please look up what a proper fit test for respirators is. It is surprising what size and style actually fits people in a proper fit test, real world. The organic vapor cartridges I used to use had exp. dates and after unpackaging had further limits, read instructions.

You need to look at MSDS, for the product you plan to use to assess hazards and what you need to address.

I had best luck fitting people to silicone masks, soft fit, and also no latex sensitivity.

You probably can't afford to have your spray area tested so err on the side of caution. OSHA and NIOSH are good references for general info once you know what you're dealing with.

Sometimes companies that need to fit test employees regularly will let others get tested for free. Some times the tests are offered by someone like 3M. Check around if you do a lot of spraying. They'd love to help you find a good fit for a mask. If you spray a lot, check around, paint shops, fiberglass shops...

Without a good fit, most of the rest don't mean diddly.

The best approach has always been to engineer the exposure out. Decent spray "booth", stay upwind, use a cartridge that is effective for the chemical(s) hazard, limit exposure time...common sense.

If I ever have to get into anything more than irritant dust, or brief/limited exposures, I'm going to positive air supply. No restriction on air supply = Better comfort = better work.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Just a gentle reminder that the OP said he was spraying outside, so the mask recommendations are the most relevant information for him. All else is wise advice nonetheless, but might not be what he needs in the moment.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think that masks are so important in finish work and few understand the importance of them , in fit , sanitation and storage. I like the disposable one for me in my application , they do last a while but they are also about the same cost as the cartridge a hobbyist needs a good mask but unlike those of us that used them on a regular basis they are not aware of what it needed
that has been a great post for helping to educate them. I have a number of masks
5100 5200 and 7500 all 3m all are VOC cartridge as I do nitro just
be aware you want that tight fit and you want the correct filter on it
stay safe my friends

Co President of ASIA

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon May 03, 2021 11:35 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

As for spraying outside, that's what I do, sort of. I set up in a room adjacent to my shop that is a breezeway. So I have double doors on both sides. I hang the guitar from a rafter and have one of those large shop fans on. In fact 95% of the time I don't need the fan as the breeze is almost always coming through in that direction. Point being it's nice to have something set up like that so that it flows away from you at all times. Even outside one of those fans *might be helpful. And of course wear a respirator mask.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Spector
City: ORANGE
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77632
Maybe its just me but I don't want to be breathing the air that's contaminated with the vapors at all, even with a respirator. I got a "previously owned" CPAP machine and a cheap painters hood with about 25 feet of hose where I can put the machine in a fresh air source area. I don't get any vapors with positive air flow like that.

These users thanked the author surveyor for the post: Dave Rickard (Mon May 03, 2021 3:34 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: robin
Last Name: courtenay
City: andover
State: hants
Thanks for all the great info guys much appreciated.