It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Bridge Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've actually read reports on other forums that has happened to some who have used the BD. I'm actually thinking now that the BD could be used as a tool like I mentioned above with the wet hot cauls. Hmmmmmm. It would have to be very fast though.

Post subject: Re: Bridge Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
It's worth noting that this device has two different uses and two different names to go with those uses. It's a Bridge Doctor if it's installed on an existing guitar to counteract a bad top belly, but it's a JDL Bridge Truss when it's built into a guitar from the get go as part of the bracing/top system which is what Breedlove did on some of their Master Class guitars. Their rationale for using it was that it allows for a thinner top and lighter bracing.

I have a Breedlove Northwest Classic built in the early 2000s which was a model in their Master Class series and it has the bridge truss. This discussion got me curious so after playing it for a while, I went in and disengaged the bridge truss so it would no longer be pressing against the tail block under string tension. My expectation was that it might sound better/different in some way with the bridge now free to rock forward and back, or possibly make no noticeable difference at all. Instead, I notice right away that it sounded noticeably dulled and the volume was reduced. I then adjusted it back to how it's supposed to be set and the sound and volume returned to their original and better levels. Interesting. Maybe there actually is something to their idea of having it incorporated into the design of the bracing and the top after all with respect to how the guitar sounds and specifically how Breedlove's Master Class guitars that have the bridge truss sound.