It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: OSMO oil finish
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

I’ve seen a few posts on IG lately about a few builders using something called osmo (brand) oil finish on their instruments. Does anyone here have any experience with this? I’m always open to new things and processes :)
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: OSMO oil finish
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Focus: Build
A friend who builds violins and violas uses it and loves it.

Ed M

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: SnowManSnow (Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Look up Josh's tuts on YouTube...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 am) • SnowManSnow (Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
That would be Josh House https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfdZWVTNyzE

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am 
Koa
Koa

Colin North wrote:

I was gonna ask haha thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Interesting. They call it a hard wax oil. Wonder what that means. He is just using it for necks in the video. Are people using it for the whole guitar?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
Interesting. They call it a hard wax oil. Wonder what that means. He is just using it for necks in the video. Are people using it for the whole guitar?

I did get in touch w him. He is only using it for necks. He said the gent who does “treehouse guitars “ uses it more than extensively . Not sure no if he is a part of this forum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I have used hard wax oil (various brands, but Osmo is a good one) for whole instruments and really like it. Advantages are ease of hand application, non-toxic (actually certified food safe, I also use it on chopping boards), and infinitely repairable (sand out a ding or scratch, just rub on more oil and it blends right in). It cures to a very hard and durable finish with only a few coats, and enhances colour and grain in the timber very nicely. It also feels nice.
Disadvantages - it does not really build layers of finish so it does not achieve a polishable surface like you get with a lacquer, or even with Tru Oil (after a gazillion coats and a month of curing time). It is best suited to an open pore satin finish which you can buff. I happen to like that style (“treehouse guitar” if you like, no insult taken), and I don’t see the value of the finish with perfect pore filling and a lacquer, finish that looks like a pane of glass between me and the wood. If that iis your target you won’t like hard wax oil on the body of the guitar - but you might still love it on the neck.

I haven’t got a guitar handy to show you but here are a couple of chopping boards that I finished with hardwax oil and beeswax blend yesterday. Only one coat and no buffing at this stage. Some scratches and sanding marks still visible -but heck, they are chopping boards made from scrap so I don’t get too precious about it. Colours are nice and with a second or third coat and a buff they will have a nice sheen.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 pm) • James Orr (Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'd like to hear even more opinions on this. Are there others who have tried it on acoustic bodies? If Osmo is designed for use on wood floors, it seems like it should hold up to the much more moderate abuse on an instrument.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

English luthier Adrian Lucas uses it on acoustics.

https://www.lucasguitars.co.uk/finishes

These users thanked the author Dave Higham for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:43 pm) • SnowManSnow (Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:59 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Blake
Last Name: Dyson
City: Hillsborough
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27278
I use OSMO Polyx Oil on all of my furniture that I build for indoor use. So easy to use and apply. I think it could be a great neck finish or solidbody finish, I don't think I'd use it on my acoustic bodies but maybe it is great. I love how easy it is to use and how natural it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:59 am 
Koa
Koa

Luthier1975 wrote:
I use OSMO Polyx Oil on all of my furniture that I build for indoor use. So easy to use and apply. I think it could be a great neck finish or solidbody finish, I don't think I'd use it on my acoustic bodies but maybe it is great. I love how easy it is to use and how natural it looks.

What turns you off to using it on an acoustic body?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Snow,
I've been working with it on the Stauffer. I think it will work well. I think it really shines on a fretboard, and you could freshen it up just by cleaning, and wiping finish on the worn spots. In fact, you could do that anywhere. I found that it will go over Aqua Coat, which I should have used on the Spanish Cedar Neck. At some point I might sand it down, and do it over with the Ebony tinted Osmo, Now that is something that isn't easy at all to do with other finishes. We'll see what it looks like in a while.

It also is the fastest and easiest finish that I've ever used.

The LOOK?

I like it. It is like wood with an oil sheen. Looks very rich. It might get scratches, but it seems like it would be easier to fix than other finishes.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:24 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've done probably 10 fender style electric guitars with Osmo PolyX. It doesn't gloss up at all, but gives a really beautiful "organic" semi gloss/satin sheen. I really like it, and the guitars "feel" really great in the hands. They develop a broken in patina quickly though, which is either a pro or a con I guess depending on your perspective. Having said that any guitar I play regularly ultimately picks up dings, dents, and scratches, and one thing I like about Osmo, vs film finishes is that even the wear ends up looking like part of the instrument, rather than like its skin is flaking or chipping off.

I'm not sure I'd like it on an acoustic though, and my feelings here are likely more psychological than anything else.

My finishing schedule is six days long, but could probably get away with three days if I really had to. Give myself a day or two to let it cure and I can assemble the guitar. And I could do it in the kitchen beside my wife making dinner if I had to.

I don't have much experience with other oil finishes, but with Osmo I feel like the finish can benefit from some maintenance, ie. semi regular cleaning and a thin reapplication of the oil. Osmo sells a top oil product for this application.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I’m liking it!

It goes on really easy and feels very silky - this after 2 coats, two to go.

I followed the House Guitar YouTube vid with the exception of the top coats being satin instead of matte.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Michaeldc wrote:
I’m liking it!

I followed the House Guitar YouTube vid with the exception of the top coats being satin instead of matte.

Best, M

Did you pore fill first? If so, with what?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am 
Koa
Koa

Colin North wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:
I’m liking it!

Best, M

Did you pore fill first? If so, with what?

I did not pore fill. The YouTube vid above has a recommendation if you choose to pore fill. I personally don’t think it needs it.

M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I needed to pore fill the Padauk. it could probably leak water! I just used a couple coats of Aqua Coat, because that's what I had. I did test it first. It was not completely smooth, just the gaping holes filled in some. With the satin in looks nice:

Attachment:
IMG_0480.jpg

I made a mess of the neck putting frets in. My last fiasco was to put a no slip pad under it. Not a good move. I got out a sanding block and took it down to bare wood; wiped on some iron acetate to darken the Spanish Cedar; and put on some flat. It was a whole lot easier than if any other kind of varnish was there.

Attachment:
IMG_0481.jpg

I even just put it on my basement stairs. I pulled of the red textured tile; the cement that was put on with a grooved trowel like setting tiles! and the aluminum strips that rip your socks when the screws come up. It took weeks to get the glue and paint that was under the glue off. I only put one coat of the flat on for now, It is basically to keep the dirt from getting in the wood. I'll probably put a coat on the center of the stairs every once in a while when it wears down. I really don't want them slippery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

I’ve done a test on hog… it is simple to apply … I do like how it feels after it dries.
I may do a body w it and French polish the top

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I did not pore fill. The YouTube vid above has a recommendation if you choose to pore fill. I personally don’t think it needs it.

Michael - which woods do your pore fill and which do you not?

Ed M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:23 am 
Koa
Koa

Ruby50 wrote:

Michael - which woods do your pore fill and which do you not?

Ed M

Hi Ed,

I generally pore fill any woods that are gonna receive a gloss finish. My personal preference for pore filler is Silvertip epoxy.

Best, M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

The OSMO neck feels silky and fast under hand. It’s very easy to apply - I didn’t even have to mask off the FB. I think it has a very nice glow as well.

Best, M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Beautiful guitar!

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:54 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm finishing a guitar that (for various reasons) I stopped working on three years ago. I'd already applied Z-Poxy finishing resin as a pore filler on the back, sides and neck, which I'm now sanding down. I'd like to French polish the soundboard and the headstock veneer and finish all the rest with Osmo Polyx satin. Do you think I can apply it directly over the Z-Poxy or should I apply a shellac wash coat first?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

Actually just finished number 23 and used osmo for the back sides and neck. I did FP on the top and top binding. I used matte osmo. I do like it… It does feel like it’s … kinda finished but man … really puts you in touch w the wood.

It’s interesting