PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
I finally got tired of trying to get my Dremel tools to run concentric and the other options for the SM bases are likely even worse. I’m not saying that the Proxxon tools are perfect, but they are certainly much better built than the “Dismal”tools are. I’m sure folks will suggest a Fordom flex shaft (have one) or the other hi speed flex shaft option that Mr Hall champions. I’m thinking this will meet my needs. If not I’ll keep looking

I used a 25/32 drill in my drill press with a 2 axis vise to dial things in. The result was a press fit. I’ll be adding a set screw, but it kinda doesn’t need it.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Nice! That's gotta be better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

The Proxxon is a nice unit. Way better than the Dremel. It's a shame that SM hasn't come up with a stock Proxxon option for their router bases.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:35 am 
Koa
Koa

Looks good. Have they increased the RPM on those units? I believe they were only about half the speed of the Dremels when I looked at them years ago. Could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Darrel Friesen wrote:
Looks good. Have they increased the RPM on those units? I believe they were only about half the speed of the Dremels when I looked at them years ago. Could be wrong though.

Proxxon is 20,000 RPM vs 35,000 for the Dremel

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Michaeldc (Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:02 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

Darrel Friesen wrote:

I don’t know if Proxxon has upped their rpms. Just looked it up: Proxxon turns 20k. The Dremel turns 35k and feels like it’s gonna explode in your hand. Not sure what I’d need 35,000 rpms for. I always ran he Dremel at about half chat.

I use my SM base solely for cutting brace pockets in the rims. I hate changing bits between operations so instead I just buy another router/rotary-tool.

Best, M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Looks good, but sad to lose the fine adjustment mechanism of screwing the tool into/out of the base a little bit.

I always run at the lowest speed (I think 15,000 RPM), which is just barely quiet enough to use without earmuffs. Mine is Black & Decker knockoff, which I wouldn't really recommend. It had been feeling like it had a bad bearing for a long time so I finally opened it up to see if I could replace it, and I can't believe it works at all. There's only one bearing on the spindle shaft. The other end attaches to the motor shaft with a funky plastic ball joint. So most likely the bit is actually swinging in a conical motion, and that ball joint is constantly rubbing and grinding itself down. I stuck a piece of masking tape on the ball and forced it back together, so at least it's tighter than it was before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

DennisK wrote:
Looks good, but sad to lose the fine adjustment mechanism of screwing the tool into/out of the base a little bit.

I always run at the lowest speed (I think 15,000 RPM), which is just barely quiet enough to use without earmuffs. Mine is Black & Decker knockoff, which I wouldn't really recommend. It had been feeling like it had a bad bearing for a long time so I finally opened it up to see if I could replace it, and I can't believe it works at all. There's only one bearing on the spindle shaft. The other end attaches to the motor shaft with a funky plastic ball joint. So most likely the bit is actually swinging in a conical motion, and that ball joint is constantly rubbing and grinding itself down. I stuck a piece of masking tape on the ball and forced it back together, so at least it's tighter than it was before.

I always had the dremel screwed tight into base, otherwise it could move around. Plus the 3/4-12 thread it too coarse to be a useful fine adjustment.

M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
The Dremel turns 35k and feels like it’s gonna explode in your hand.

Seriously? I currently own 5 Dremel tools of different years and styles, and have used them since the late 70's. I've never heard of anyone saying or even thinking a Dremel unit was going to blow up. I've had them wear out brushes, and even had bearings seize and the tool jumped a bit - but they never gave me any indication of exploding. Perhaps you aren't comfortable running machine tools of any kind, or even over-stated your opinion?

You run them at high RPM to reduce the chip load on the cutter. Standard practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've had the best luck using a really high speed pneumatic die grinder or a really really high speed dental grinder (6 figure rpm) for inlay routing. I use one of John Hall's rigs for the most part. It's way lighter than any kind of Dremel type tool, and the high speed makes direction of cut fairly irrelevant. About 60K rpm.

Going the pneumatic route is night and day better from my perspective for inlay routing. The light weight and the very high speed make it very easy to control. I still use the Dremel rig for routing rims for braces, rosettes and things like that. But otherwise, I'm using air power.

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:50 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Same as Dave, I find I usually use the pneumatic inlay tool I got from John Hall. As my Dremels have died off I have not replaced them. I have one left and I keep a cut-off wheel on it for small metal parts. Doesn't mean Dremels are bad, I just prefer other tools.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: CraigG (Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:14 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:

Seriously? I currently own 5 Dremel tools of different years and styles, and have used them since the late 70's. I've never heard of anyone saying or even thinking a Dremel unit was going to blow up. I've had them wear out brushes, and even had bearings seize and the tool jumped a bit - but they never gave me any indication of exploding. Perhaps you aren't comfortable running machine tools of any kind, or even over-stated your opinion?

You run them at high RPM to reduce the chip load on the cutter. Standard practice.

Sorry if my comments got up your nose. As a lifelong professional woodworker I’m used to a higher standard of quality. Dremel will never meet this standard. PM me with your address and I’ll send both of my dremels, no charge.

Cheers, Michael

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Chris Pile (Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

SteveSmith wrote:
Same as Dave, I find I usually use the pneumatic inlay tool I got from John Hall. As my Dremels have died off I have not replaced them. I have one left and I keep a cut-off wheel on it for small metal parts. Doesn't mean Dremels are bad, I just prefer other tools.

Circular reference, but same here. Dremels and their ilk have their place in my shop for sure, and I still use them frequently. Just not for inlay work other than rosettes.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:21 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Will concur. with others , I have both older an newer dremels and their, basically IMHO single use tools at which they excel. One is a mini abrasive cut off wheel. One has a mini buffer /polisher for frets., Another is for routing rosettes, I also bought john halls air tool. Which . I had a machinest redo / aiign with a stew mac rtr. base .According to him the SM base had to be realigned to be dead on center in order for it to be used with the die grinder for inlay an rosette work.. The Proxxon looks like an excellent tool, . Is there much runout in the collet?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
PM me with your address and I’ll send both of my dremels, no charge.

Done. Let me know the shipping costs once they are on the way, and I'll gladly reimburse you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:07 am 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:
PM me with your address and I’ll send both of my dremels, no charge.

Done. Let me know the shipping costs once they are on the way, and I'll gladly reimburse you.

Boxed up and ready to go. I’ll have Karen generate a label and get them out. We are headed out of town for the weekend so they won’t go out till Tuesday.

I pulled the collets off both to give them a run. One runs much smoother than the other, but neither is as smooth the Proxxon unit.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You are an awesome possum. Will give them a good home in the Dremel cabinet.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:54 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John "jd"
City: Santa Barbara
State: Ca
Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:

I have had 2 dremels physically blow apart in my hand and I haven't even used them that much. For me, the Proxxon is a far superior tool. Won't touch another Dremel.

These users thanked the author windsurfer for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:50 am 
Koa
Koa

I believe the earlier Dremels were somewhat sturdier with less runout. Mine is about 20 years old and still works fine. I cut the binding channels on my first two guitars with it using the Stewmac attachment and it turned out well although upgrading to trim routers sure was a lot easier. I still use mine for rosettes and inlay but have been eyeing the pneumtic ones John Hall has. I have a couple of Proxxon tools with the small, detail belt sander being my favorite. I had looked at their rotary tool some time back but questioned the lower rpm for inlay etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

Darrel Friesen wrote:
I believe the earlier Dremels were somewhat sturdier with less runout. Mine is about 20 years old and still works fine. I cut the binding channels on my first two guitars with it using the Stewmac attachment and it turned out well although upgrading to trim routers sure was a lot easier. I still use mine for rosettes and inlay but have been eyeing the pneumtic ones John Hall has. I have a couple of Proxxon tools with the small, detail belt sander being my favorite. I had looked at their rotary tool some time back but questioned the lower rpm for inlay etc.

Yeah, I only use mine for cutting brace pockets in linings so it’s plenty fast enough. All of my inlay work is done with my cnc.

Best, M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
You are an awesome possum. Will give them a good home in the Dremel cabinet.

OTW -

M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
This is a good option. I've got one and find it very useful. It has the same thread as a Dremel so can fit into the SM bases without modification. 5K to 32K. And no cord to yank it around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... Cy9s2vk0I0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
saltytri wrote:
This is a good option. I've got one and find it very useful. It has the same thread as a Dremel so can fit into the SM bases without modification. 5K to 32K. And no cord to yank it around.

I like that it's cordless. Are the threads that fit the SM base hidden under the black nose cone?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
J De Rocher wrote:
saltytri wrote:

I like that it's cordless. Are the threads that fit the SM base hidden under the black nose cone?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Cal
Last Name: Maier
City: Crossfield
State: AB
Thanks for the tip about this Milwaukee rotary tool.
I just picked one up from the Borg(HD) here in Canada for $79.cdn. It’s on sale and a good value for the price.
It works great, very little run out if any at all.

I just did a couple of quick tests with it in my stewmac bases and it works great.

Thanks again Dave.
Cal

These users thanked the author Cal Maier for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:17 am)