Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
Focus: Build
New ELEVATE Tool!

Introducing the ELEVATE Fret Press System. This system easily adapts to 3/4" and 1" ram arbor presses without the need for modification. The wide brass cauls transition between two radii- making it perfect for compound radius fretboards, boards with an unusual radius, and boards with rolled edges.

Get yours today! http://www.ElevateLutherie.com/product/fret-press-system

Attachment:
094E29E0-04D3-4290-8D0A-E5996F7CFF63.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://ensorguitars.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:32 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
Will "non-transitioning" cauls be available for a single radius? If my all of boards are always accurately machined at 16", I want a caul that doesn't have to be precisely positioned from left to right in order to hit the 16" area on a 14" to 18" caul. I want to know that I will get consistent pressure from one end of the fret to the other, every time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Chris, can you explain how the cauls transition in radii? Is it a thin section of a cone?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

saltytri wrote:
Will "non-transitioning" cauls be available for a single radius? If my all of boards are always accurately machined at 16", I want a caul that doesn't have to be precisely positioned from left to right in order to hit the 16" area on a 14" to 18" caul. I want to know that I will get consistent pressure from one end of the fret to the other, every time.

I'd be happy to make you a set of custom, wide, single radius press cauls. You can send me a message on my website if you'd like to explore this more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Barry Daniels wrote:
Chris, can you explain how the cauls transition in radii? Is it a thin section of a cone?

Yes, that's a good way to think of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:14 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hey Chris I hope that you are doing great.

Cool offering and I watched the video and have a question or two. Also so that's what you look like :)

1). First for rolled edges and thanks for bringing this up it rarely has been mentioned on the OLF over the years and rolled edges are an issue, a common issue on older, Kalamazoo Gibsons. I see how the transition from one radius to another will add pressure to the fret ends on a rolled edge but in Gibson land a few degrees of difference is not enough to deal with some of the rolled edges which can be over 10 degrees different than in the middle of the board. With all this said your cool system will work in my world for Gibson rolled edges if I use an over radiused caul and leave a gap in the middle. Now we do this now with our custom caul sets and it works great, pressure is not required in the middle of the fret if the slot has been properly prepared and the slot and wire are a good fit. For the rest of my question to make sense you have read number 2 next:

2). Any plans to offer this as an augmentation to Stew-Mac's Jaws II fret press system. That's what we and many others in the repair world use to press loose frets down and glue them on existing guitars and for refrets of existing guitars? If so what is the ETA?

Lastly and more a commiseration than anything else. We've flirted for years with a continuously variable fret press caul. I suspect that you have too and that's why I'm bringing this up. We have some ideas and Dave has made some prototypes but we could not make it work reliably. I've had a vision of a continuously variable fret press caul that simply conforms to the radius of what it's being pressed into and there is a fluid component to my idea much like hydraulics and the incompressibility of liquid. Might be fun to have a conversation with you and Dave Collins on this subject I see some real genius in what you have done here. Good going!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I've often wondered if one could make a 'sprung' caul that could flex across its length to match whatever the radius of the fretboard is. It would simply flatten as it was pressed to match the fretboard.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm) • Hesh (Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:53 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:54 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
meddlingfool wrote:
I've often wondered if one could make a 'sprung' caul that could flex across its length to match whatever the radius of the fretboard is. It would simply flatten as it was pressed to match the fretboard.

Yep that's what I am referring to as a continuously variable radius caul. How nice that would be never having to change it and one size fits all.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
Any plans to offer this as an augmentation to Stew-Mac's Jaws II fret press system. That's what we and many others in the repair world use to press loose frets down and glue them on existing guitars and for refrets of existing guitars? If so what is the ETA?

No, I don’t have any plans to make that style of fret press system.

Hesh wrote:
Lastly and more a commiseration than anything else. We've flirted for years with a continuously variable fret press caul. I suspect that you have too and that's why I'm bringing this up. We have some ideas and Dave has made some prototypes but we could not make it work reliably. I've had a vision of a continuously variable fret press caul that simply conforms to the radius of what it's being pressed into and there is a fluid component to my idea much like hydraulics and the incompressibility of liquid. Might be fun to have a conversation with you and Dave Collins on this subject I see some real genius in what you have done here. Good going!

I’d be happy to discuss this with you and Dave. Feel free to reach out to me through my website.

These users thanked the author Chris Ensor for the post: Hesh (Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm)