Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:46 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Focus: Build
Hi Folks, I was wondering if anyone has had experience using the JET 1020 Benchtop Drum Sander? I recently saw it advertised and it caught my attention. Looks to be handy for sides and possibly top/back if you are willing to sand 1/2 the width at a pass. Just curious. Can't beat the price and it seems to be cheaper than building a larger version.
Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
A lot of people report being very happy with theirs, getting good results after careful fine tuning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Been using one for over 10 years. You gotta be a bit patient but it does the job. Works great for me in my small shop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Miller
City: Cape Vincent
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 13618
They seem to be made of unobtainium right now. Same as the Supermax 19-38 I want to add to my shop. The available dates just keep creeping on and on.

Perhaps if you live in a big enough place you can score one on the swap sheets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

SteveSmith wrote:
Been using one for over 10 years. You gotta be a bit patient but it does the job. Works great for me in my small shop.

Similar experience. I've had mine for at least that long and got it when it was branded by Performax. Absolutely no problems or issues with what I'd called recreational use running a handful of times per year. It takes, I don't know, half an hour to thickness a top? Longer for dense back/sides like rosewoods, but it does the job just fine. The only reason I'd personally want something larger is just to minimize time by obviously decreasing the number of passes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I used to own a 10-20. It's a nice machine. Everyone has identified the only issues I ever had: The fact that you need to take two passes to sand a top or back, and the associated necessary tinkering with the tilt of the drum to not leave ridges in the middle of the top/back. I do prefer having a machine big enough to do a whole top/back in one pass. If you were the type of person who liked hand planing tops and backs, but not sides, a 10-20 would be perfect. You can sand sides, bridges, binding, head plates, fingerboards, bridge plates, linings, braces, blocks, neck blanks, etc., all with one pass. Of the parts of a guitar, only tops/backs are too big for it.

But they are heavier than they look. Don't count on it being something you can easily move onto and off of your bench. And as with any drum sander, dust collection is mandatory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsmnY8dCODA

Some people have had problems with the threads stripping out on the aluminium riser mechanism, but I think that has been redesigned (don't know if it solved the problem). Some people eventually move up to a larger unit, so you might get a good price on a used one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Guess it depends on which unit you get or maybe I just got lucky. I've never had a problem with the tilt on the drums, I set it once (open end is about 0.005" higher than the closed end) when I bought the machine and have never had to touch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
While we had one in-shop, that was before my time there, but several former students went to the 10-20 as their primary thicknessing tool and love the size/cost/capability trade-off. If forced to source used, Performax and early production Jet-branded 10-20's suffer from a steel elevation screw/zinc-aluminum alloy elevation bracket misfit that has a rather nasty failure mode (drum drops onto feed belt/platen). Lubricating the screw goes a long way to minimizing issues with the tool.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

They are great- I love mine. It is the only thickness sander I have. I can thickness purfling to within a couple thousandths with it, which is so handy. Works for tops and backs too but like everyone else said, it is slow.

And yes, lubricate the screw! mine failed after 10 years or so and my hocked together repair has worked well since then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mine worked great, but it would randomly blow my circuit.

Pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:28 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have the Supermax 19-38 version and it works well. It's great for thicknessing all kinds of parts. For tops, I take them down to about .130 and finish with a hand plane. It's nice to be able to run a whole top or back through.

Brent